Who plays America's army 2.3 on mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by spyker3292, Jul 13, 2005.

1. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Hey I was just wondering who here is currently plays AA on their mac. And does anyone know a place I can find those stupid test answers.

2. plastique45 macrumors regular

My favorite game.

Just pay attention in class! :p

3. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I do. I can't wait for 2.4 to arrive, there aren't many 2.3 servers anymore.

I blagged the tests, the only one that took me more than one attempt is the SF vehicles one.

AppleMatt

4. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Yeah I play it too :cool:

I hear 2.5 is to be released for pc's around August so that probably means that is when we'll get 2.4 and of course a limited number of servers.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think it's a cool idea for a game and I've dabbled into it a little but never got fully into it because it seems to be so time consuming to get anywhere. I need a game that I can pick up pretty much anytime and have a good half hour of playing with but those lessons are just so boring. :(

I think I'll stick to Solitaire for now.

6. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I have played it a few times. Mostly I "practice" off line with the M4 mods on the rifle range.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I do. And I play enough to get pissed when people cheat on the medic tests, SF tests, etc. Because those medics never help you as you bleed to death... a VERY big issue now.

And it really isn't too hard. Just follow along.

For those of you who want to just pick it up and try it out--
    You only have to beat the first training mission to play on MOUT McKenna. You have to beat the other missions to play on the other maps.

And just slowly do the training as you get better and better and like the game more. I like the game because you actually have to do training before you can pick up a gun and go. Makes the noobies less... well.... noobish. Doesn't help them always though. :D

8. Rootman macrumors 6502

I play AA at work all day. I used to have an eMac 800 and it played OK on it. They recently gave me a Dell craptop and it plays on that OK, too, with newer Windows version 2.4 of the game. I'm getting a mini to play this at home when the mini boosts come out. There's a good Mac community using the 2.3 Mac version that only runs on the old AA servers, and less cheating on the Mac servers. Not much difference between 2.3 and 2.4 otherwise.

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

How well does AA run on the current minis? I played it awhile back, when it was based on the q3 engine, and recall that it did pretty good on a fairly low spec PC that I was using at the time. I also recall playing it on my sisters iBook (933mhz G4 model), but again that was back in the q3 days.

Did they switch the game over to the UT engine or am I imagining things? I suspect that both of those should play on a mini OK, but who knows? The system in question is a 1.42ghz w/ 1gb RAM...

10. Rootman macrumors 6502

Yes, AA now uses UT engine. I believe it should play OK on a mini or iBook, since I have played it OK on an eMac and they have improved the UT engine since then in the newer AA versions.

11. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Spiffy... I'll have to d/l it again sometime and try it out... I remeber it being pretty fun, but I also remember, as someone who just got out of the Army, that the shooting range 'simulation' was complete crap.

I used to shoot 36-38 everytime, and one perfect score (40). It took me like 10 tries to get 38 on that stupid game. The problem seems to be the arc of the round being represented poorly. In reality for the 250-300m targets you wanted to aim about the sholders, and for the 50-100m targets you need to aim a little low, as bullets don't travel in a straight line. The way AA's did it seemed to be that they went in a straight line, but had a random variance at the point of impact. The randomness was enough to throw off the round nd go wide of the target. I found it really frustrating.

I'll try it again and see how it is now. ;)

12. Rootman macrumors 6502

Fire between breaths.

13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Not to sound like a jerk (cuz I'm really not trying to be one!), but duh ;-) ... anyone who has ever been thru any rifle training knows this. It seems to me that the 'cone of fire' decreases when you exhale, but it still has too much random variance. In a controlled environment, like a range, you can almost hit the same hole at a couple hundred meters with an M16... I can't remember what this is called in the gun world... angle of <something>... has to do with the amount of variance a gun has when it is bolted to a firing stand. Usually measured in inches per 100m. The M16 is pretty darn accurate (not very reliable, but accurate)!

Anyways, thanks for the tip. ;-) Maybe they have adjusted this since I last played, it was awhile ago.

14. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

I play that game too. Now I am waiting for 2.4 cause I can't update my Punkbuster on Tiger, well I get a message that I need OS 9 classic to lunch PBWeb thing to update it.

It is a nice game and it's free. It could use more training on working as a team. Few people fallow orders given by their supperiors.

Hey, meybe there should be a MacRumors clan! That would be so cool kick PC clans A** :D

15. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I played it a long time ago on the OS that should not be name, mostly out of curiosity...

I downloaded it on my G5 the other day just before it broke down, and I was highly frustrated with it! I hate to sound like an idiot, more than usual, but the game didn't seem much fun! I had to go through training, with 0 tolerance for messing around! No firing until told to etc. etc. Guess it is realistic though...

16. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i am playing now. and i love it. i love being a medic too. your honor shoots up for it (if you do it right).what i dont like is the 3 horor servers on 2.3. oh and i played 2.4 on a pc. the sniper training is soo much easier then in 2.3 it's strange. you can find me in the hospital brazil server. and the honor server woodland outpost.

17. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Can anyone tell me where to get it? I've been trying to find it forever, but I keep on getting sent along a long path of links....

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the torrent file!

18. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

19. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Thanks! That's actually a lot faster than the torrent!

20. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Kinda the point. I don't like Counter-Strike where hackers and ****ers abound. AA is much more organized, and Punkbuster keeps cheaters off. At least it checks every 7 minutes. :D It is great fun to watch someone get banned for hacking... :)