Who Plays Uplink:Hackers Elite?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Patmian212, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hi all,
    I got the demo and bought it within 4 hours of playing. I am now at confident level and I am doing that whole identity changing thing, I am aware that it will soon get VERY challenging, I also am aware that there is a storyline which I will soon encounter(adromeda research thing).

I have a few questions:
    1. Any general tips?
    2. Is there any point of following the storyline, what do you gain?
    3. I got the IRC client but no one is online most of the time, do any of you ever find it usefull?

Oh and I recomend that EVERYONE try this game, you can get it ant ambrosia.com or introversion.co.uk

2. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Seems like this game isnt very popular, I'm not surprised thought, guys I suggest you get the demo right away and play it for a while this game ROCKS.

3. Ultimate-Omen macrumors member

when i had my old 500mhz ibook this game was one of the few that were playable. i had the demo so i didnt get far but the game was awsome! when i get my new ibook ill definately pick it up.

4. applekid macrumors 68020

Uplink was very good. It's on my "buy it when I remember to" list. :D

5. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

It's worth following the story (but not vital), if you do you can basically fall into helping one of two sides, and end up with lots of money.

General tips: get the hud and it's plugins, its well useful, oh and upgrade your server as quick as you can as more processors and faster modems make a big difference

6. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Not sure if reviving old threads is ok here but I just purchased Uplink after playing the demo thought for the second time. I can't wait to get into it further.

So, anyone else playing Uplink nowadays?

7. Ultimate-Omen macrumors member

if i wasn't so occupied with gta:lcs i'd pick it up :D

8. charmin macrumors member

charmin

Played it a couple of months ago. Joined < a side > in the story and gave up on the final mission because it is less than easy. Addictive game though. The storyline should definitely be gone along with, that's what it's there for.

Keep an eye on the news, and remember that banks aren't there just for hacking during a mission.. ;)

9. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    This game is a bitch. I love it. I'll ahve to reinstall it when I get the time. Addicting. Graphics, etc. aren't great, but then again I don't care, its a good game indeed!

10. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

lol. That really sums it up. :) I havn't had such a good time reading text and listening to blips since many many computers ago. Some hypercard game... into the manhole or something?

Anyway, just quit after a few hours at it. I'm stuck trying to change a SS file to deceased (great idea... hope it never happens to me). The trace is wicked fast, its only a level 4 job, but I think all my registered links have been broken.

I'm going thought the interNIC first, then to 15 or so other computer before getting to my target. Proxy defeat, then password breaking (v1 still I think) so what would you suggest I work on?

More registered computers (trace takes longer I think) or should I spend the remaning cash ~5000c I think on faster software/hardware?

Dang this is nearly as addictive as Halo was for me... and I can play this without a mouse and desk... the perfect laptop game. I just wish the mouse clicks would always register. It seems when lots of this are happening the key clicks get lost at times.

wow. that was a brain dump.

11. charmin macrumors member

charmin

InterNIC first is the right way to go. You'll want more than 15 computers to go through - try 30 or 40 :p Make them all banks or internal services machines if you can. My map was SO crowded towards the end of the game...

12. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Yeah, its a lot of links to deal with on the map, but it worked perfectly. Thanks! I'm still getting kicked off the server when I disconnect though, I must not be deleting enough of my logs to keep an account?

This game is so addictive. I just found the Wargames hidden game! How cool, I always knew watching that movie over and over would prove useful. :) I guess I should hunt down the IP address it mentions in the help file.

If they only made the WHPR talk to you! :cool: :cool:

13. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

WOW never knew about a hidden game, what is the game? What do you have to do to play?

14. charmin macrumors member

charmin

If you'd seen the film in question, you'd know what game it is :p If not, you wouldn't get the joke anyway.

15. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

True. Just think like you'r the main character and you'll find it. I didn't even try any of the other games either. Just went straight to the bottom of the list. :)

I just noticed this morning that I have a moniker at the bottom of my status page saying I completed the special mission wargames. So it looks like there are others still out there.

I wonder if I can find a seatec astronomy computer? :cool: :eek:

[edit 1 hour later] to quote TRON "Dammit! Busted again!" ... I poked around an international bank to try and setup an admin access.... and they found me. Not sure how, I thought I got rid of the logs on enough links... dang. Square 1 again. :)

16. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Oh wow thats a pretty addicting game, had to keep playing till I finished the demo. Did anyone else think it was a bit buggy though? Evey time I sped up time (using the far right fast forward button, it would always crash the game :( ) But anyways, fun game. Think I might have to pick up the full version of this. :)

17. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I love the way people started payin attention to this thread a few weeks after I posted it:D , also does anyone use the IRC chat in the game?

18. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Ah thats cool, I had no idea the IRC thing was a real IRC client, figured it was just something in the game, like a static conversation or something. I just went on to check it out, was at least 15+ people on, though Uplinks IRC client is crap, can't send commands or anything, just strait chatting from what I can tell. Can't even use slashes in there '/' :( . Would be easier to just play Uplink in window mode, and use your own IRC client to connect to it's IRC server.

19. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

loved this game

haha i love this game. i found the easyest way to get the top gateway was to hack a bank. some bank accounts only hvae 2k in them. but occasinally there are bank accounts with up to 12 million in them. the easyest way to find these is to get caught hacking one of the very early servers. they will request money to be sent to a particular bank account. these bank accounts will usually have alot of money in them.

although hacking the banks is very difficult its a good way to get the top gateway before you begin the the reveltion stuff.

20. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

When I was there, there wass 2 people and no chat goin on hehehehe, I also love the fact you need to buy the IRC client.

21. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    For those of you who don't want to start everything all over again, because the game IS very time consuming, there's an awesome little app that will allow you to save your profile at any intervals you want in order to restore them if you get caught, so not all progress is lost. It's called AgentBackup.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/v...splay=downloads&file=UplinkAgentBackup0.2.hqx

That's the download link above. It's well worth it, and it's only on OS X.

As for other things, Log Deleter V. 4 is your best bet. This sucker will not only delete the entire log file, it will shift the others above it down, so then you can make it look like you never even existed at ALL.

22. deadlygopher macrumors member

deadlygopher

i don't play the storyline. i just hack banks and get tons of money. then i buy all of the shiny stuff, hack the criminal DB, and make all of the agents criminals after i hack uplink. then after about 3 or 4 weeks of playing the game, i stop for a few months, and then rediscover it on my hard drive repeat.