Who prefers old Apple iPad case to Smart Cover?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by KenGold, Mar 3, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm not too impressed with the Smart Cover, which I think has "gimmick" written all over it. Have had the iPad 1 since Day 1 with the Apple iPad case, and have never taken it out of the case to use it naked. I prefer it that way, and DON'T want to get the Smart Cover with the iPad 2. In fact, I'm hoping that Apple still will make a case like they did for the iPad 1, refitted for the iPad 2.

Reason's I prefer the old case?

1. Easier to grip - I always found the aluminum back of the iPad a bit slick to the hand and was afraid of dropping it. The "suede-like" feel of Apple's case gives me a tacky sensation, and confidence I won't drop it.

2. The stand flap works - Yeah, it isn't so stable when using the case's stand upright, but when used horizontally, it is very good. Besides, inserting the cover edge into the flap gives me another way to grip the iPad, i.e. with my thumb in between the front and back sides of the case and four fingers on the outside of the cover. It gives me more confidence, once again, that I won't drop the iPad.

3. Easier to use in bed with old case - Let's face it.....many of us use the iPad predominantly in bed, either sitting up or lying down. Having the case folded back into the flap allows me to rest the iPad on my front legs and waist with the angle just perfect. Or I can hold the iPad more easily for viewing in bed with the cover folded in the flap. With the new Smart Cover, we won't be able to do that, and I can envision the magnets not being strong enough to keep the cover in place for very long. That could become a huge annoyance.

4. The Apple case was thin and light enough. One thing said in the keynote about the Smart Cover is that it won't detract from the light weight and thinness of the iPad 2. However, I've never felt the old case made the iPad 1 unacceptably thicker or heavier. It's really very thin and the iPad has a snug and secure fit inside the Apple case, keeping the entire unit thin. Why can't Apple simply make another version of their case instead of replacing it with the Smart Cover? In reality, they should offer both choices, and let the customer decide.

I realize that there will be 3rd party cases made to allow me a choice if I don't like the Smart Cover. However, I was just fine with Apple's iPad case, which fit the iPad like a glove, was easy and secure to handle, attractive in suede-black, and worked in all situations without detaching from the iPad (or the iPad falling out). I can't see the same thing for the Smart Cover. And I haven't even talked about the protection against scratching. The Apple iPad cover offers so much more than the gimmicky Smart Cover, unless you can't find the sleep/awake button easily, LOL.

What say you? Apple's original iPad case or the new Smart Cover? (for sake of discussion, leave 3rd party covers out of it.)

2. macrumors 6502a

I do think the original case is good - I've bought so many over the last few months, and keep coming back to the Apple case.

However, I am tempted by the new cases (and therefore new iPad!) I like the fact it will be so thin with just a flap, and I'll probably just find a really thin sleeve to put it in when I'm chucking it into my handbag with car keys etc.

Need to get it in my hands first to really know….

3. Guest

will the new ipad work with the case?

I'm thinking if you buy ipad 2 your only official Apple option is the smart cover.

i think it's pretty easy. If you have first gen ipad, you use a the apple case. if new ipad you use the smart cover?

4. macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I love the cover for what it does, but The iPad 1 case is way more practical. I hope but highly doubt it that apple creates a full body case like the apple case but also functions like the cover. Why they didn't do that is beyond me

5. macrumors 603

saving107

I think I want the new iPad 2 just because of the Smart Case, everything else (specs and design) is just an added bonus.

6. macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Well I don't really care for how the Apple Case gets so 'dirty' from just typical handling. The smudges and stuff just look awful if you ask me, and it's not the simplest to clean. Also the edges of the case really annoys me with how the material sort of pokes out along all the sides.

As to the Smart Covers, I don't know. My big concern besides breaking or scratching up the glass is marking up and scratching the backside. As beautiful as it is, I can't stand seeing a nice aluminum backing muffed up with scratches and dings. Hopefully this model will be even easier to get a nice skin on the back and if so, I'll definitely get these covers...

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

The thinner design and slightly different shape of the iPad 2 will make the original Apple iPad case a poor fit for the new iPad. Apple will need to make a new case if they want to satisfy people like me, custom-fitted to the new iPad 2. Like I said in my original post, I hope they make BOTH the Smart Cover and a new version of the Apple case, and let me decide which one I want to buy. $39 for either, of course, is a hefty price.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

You call it a "Smart Case", but it's not. A "case" implies a full envelope around the device. This is just a flap-like cover, which doesn't hold the iPad inside or protect the back and side edges of the iPad. It's really kind of cheap and cheesy, when you think about it.

9. macrumors 68020

Most of OP's concerns are tied to ergonomics. Early reports suggest that the new design feels "better" in your hand. With a lighter device and a different shape, it's hard to know if the concerns will still be valid.
    I like the old case, but the edges are terrible. I prefer using the old iPad case-less, so an easier to remove cover is a good thing.
    If I get the new device, I'll get the cover for the front and a skin for the back.

10. macrumors 6502

I didn't own the last iPad or case but I think it is better..

11. macrumors 6502a

Yes first case is much more practical for protection and function. Apple will not likely make another of these cases, so here's to hope a third party company makes one like Apples first gen. Not a fan of the excessively thick cases, so one made of similar materials would be much appreciated.

12. macrumors 6502a

i too like the old case more

the size and shape are the same for the most part, the only problem may be thickness so you can probably slip in a few sheets of paper or something like that to make up for the thickness so it doesn't fall out of the case. i'm sure the old case will still work, the question will be how much longer will the old cases be available at the stores

13. thread starter macrumors newbie

You brought up the one negative I failed to mention in my original post. The edges of the original case ARE sharp and take some getting used to. After nearly a year of use, however, I barely notice it and think the ergonomic benefits far outweight the sharp edges of the case.

I think the Smart Cover may be better to the touch, but you can't just "hold the flap (backwards from the front of the device) to hold the device like you can with the original case. The magnets simply cannot be THAT strong, and I'd think the iPad would get detached from the Smart Cover. Will just have to try it in-store to make sure.

14. macrumors 604

Piggie

Apple should make the old style case for the new iPad, but also offer it in Black or White to match your iPad.

Great shame they are not going to still offer this version for those who wish to protect the outside of their device.

I can see the new cover being pulled off accidentally all the time, and it WILL scratch the device over time. It's not possible to have metal to metal contact without scratching. Any metal will scratch over time, let alone Aluminium.

15. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ughh......using papers or something to thicken the unit inside the case so it won't slip out seems awfully messy! I hope (pray) that Apple sees that customers like me WANT the original case refitted to the iPad 2, and decides to make it.

16. macrumors regular

Even if you compensate for the thickness, you obviously won't be able to use the rear camera with the old case (unless you start cutting holes in it).

I'm not planning to get an iPad 2 but if I were I would still prefer a case like the original Apple Case to the "smart cover" idea.

I'm expecting that case makers will love the magnets built into the new iPad and will be working on slimmer profile full-body cases/folios that use the magnets as part of the mechanism to hold the iPad into the case, and for the cover closure as well. But it might be a while before we see quality cases of this type come to market.

17. macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

ME.

When I first saw the smart cover I thought it was the tackiest thing in the world. After seeing the video and (other) color options I did like it a lot more. However, I don't like the fact that the back is not protected. The original Apple iPad case was perfect IMO. It was sleek and minimalistic yet provided great functionality.

18. macrumors 6502a

the new cover is honestly what i been wanting! i like to use my ipad naked and was in the market for a stand. This does that and protects the screen.

19. macrumors 6502a

paper probably wouldn't be the best choice, just what came to mind to use as an example, i'm sure after some thought everyone can come up with something better, the difference needed to be made up isn't much and should be fairly easy to do. i doubt they will redo the case, since they want to push the new ones

i guess i'm in hte minority here, i don't see any use for the back camera at all, it just seems cumbersome tot try to take a picture which a camera that is that big. i'd sooner use a phone or a point and shoot, and there isn't much of a convience factor gained since just about every phone has a camera and the phone is probably lowest common denominator when it comes to devices most likely to be carried by a person. the front camera is nice but i rarely use face time now so even if it gets covered i wouldn't miss it much

20. macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Yes but it doesn't bother you that the back will always be exposed. I liked before when I could just get in my car and "chunk" it in the passenger seat on the way to school. Normal everyday travel situations like this are the reason I cannot bite the bullet on this cover.

21. macrumors regular

kwajkat

The new cover does nothing for me. If you watch the videos closely it looks like it could easily flip back enough to turn on or come off if touched just right. If you are carrying it in a back pack etc, I could see the battery draining fairly easy if it did that. Also there is no real protection for it like a case would provide. My question would be if it will fit my zagg keyboard like the old one does which since the measurements are basically the same it should.

22. macrumors 6502a

When i travel, i have a bag that i stick it in so thats not a problem. I also use the dock so the old case didn't work with that either. Where do you keep your ipad once at school? if its your bag, i guess you can start keeping it in there as soon you leave.

23. macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Given the choice between a roof and a pair of curtains, I'll take the roof every time.

24. macrumors 6502

I know I will be buying the smart cover and than placing it with Ipad attached into a zipped case. That way screen is protected and so it back.

25. macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The reason they did it is to not cover the back camera with the case and then the flap as well.