Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Also from a marketing point of view, Apple will want people to see other people using iPads. When Apple cover up all the sides and the back with their old cover you just look like your carrying around any other tablet. Which doesn't keep reminding people without iPad's how much they also want an iPad.

You are forgetting that no matter what tablet you have, be it Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy whatever....people will ask you "Hey, is that the iPad?"

I had someone ask me if my KINDLE was an iPad.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
I really dislike the "smart" cover.

Here's to hoping we see an Apple Case for the iPad2... or preferably, iPad3.

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
I'm going with a moleskin case this time instead of the smart cover or copy of the ipad 1 case. I just pre-ordered a portenzo.

amazonpam

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Yoobao make the best dead-straight clone of the Apple case. There are a couple of threads on here about it.

Amazon.com has a Yoobao case for the iPad 2, coming out on March 25. It's the leather clone verion of the original ipad case.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
You know, whoever said they were going to get a sleeve too, that's genius! I'll buy a smart cover and the sleeve and bam, I should be good to go. :)

Damn, this thing is gonna cost me like $1000 bucks by the time everything is said and done :).

Kinda makes you wonder if a MacBook air at 999 is the better buy :)

vikingdave

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
Covers the area that would never scratch anyway

The strange thing to me about the new cover is that it covers the front, which is made out of an extremely strong scratch resistant material. I don't know anyone that has ever gotten a scratch on the front of their iPhone or iPad. I personally have been caring my iphone with a bare front since the original iPhone 1 came out without so much as a single scratch on the screen. So basically, the new cover protects the one area that is almost impossible to scratch. It just makes very little sense. It's a nice option to have for those that like it, but I really want a case more like the old one. The third-party ones fit very sloppily compared to the original iPad case from Apple which was awesome.

dalexa

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
From a design perspective the smart cover is really elegant.

that's the thing about design and what people think of it... design is about function and the smart cover as a design object fails big time.

having the interior of the cover in contact with the surfaces it's just a "look, you're going to scratch or get your screen dirty" kind of thing.

when i saw it for the first time i was saying to me... tell me that it folds in a way that the outer part is always the one in contact with the surfaces and then bammm... the video should me that in fact it wasn't.

that is a major design flaw.

(just for the record, i am a designer so i know what i'm saying)

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
No way. The first iPad case was ugly and made of a material/fabric that looked horrible 5 minutes after its first use. One of the worst products Apple has ever released.

The smart cover is a ingenious device that works seamlessly with the iPad 2. Sure it only protects the screen, but that is all it was made to do, and it does so with style and adds functionality. It also lets the beautiful design on the iPad be visible.

All I do is slide it in a TIMBUK2 sleeve when traveling.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
a black smartcover with a icarbon CF back is far better than the original case for me. The original got dirty and had no style a all. I still own an ipad with it. The two side by side make the original look like a antique. That's my "design" opinion.

nylamacgal

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
Forget the smart case and GET smart - make the original Apple ipad case for ipad2!

I have researched and inspected many ipad 2 cases, and none of them can compare to the original ipad case that they made. WHY WHY WHY have they not made one just like it for ipad 2? I hate the smart cover - every time you flip /fold it back the magnets detach it from the ipad. It also doesn't cover the back so it slips of my couch or bed easily. The more substantial cases that cover the back too are bulky or the holes don't quite line up.
By the way, the old case cleans up instantly with a wet ones wipe! Looks brand new in seconds - really!
Please Apple, make the old case for ipad 2 and just add the magnet on/off feature to the front flap.
There is a huge market for this classic case. Forget the smart case and GET smart - make the old case for the new ipad!!!

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I like the design of the old case, but all of the 3rd party ones I have tried are either too bulky or had some other issue. I was really opposed to the smartcover, mainly because of the price. However, my wife wanted one for Mother's day & I have to admit that it is not that bad. I still cringe at the ridiculously high price of it, but I think I may sell the covers I have & end up getting one.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
The 1st apple case is my favorite out of all the ones I tried, but the damn thing won't come clean!

I've tried soap and water, alcohol... Bring on the new smart cover please!
That's what I hated most about the old case. It got so dirty, and I could never get regular stains out, no matter what I used. Urgh.
The Smart Cover only requires a quick wipe with a damp cloth to clean the micro fibre lining.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
There are tons of good cases out there that are exactly like the original Apple case you guys, most of them really pretty similar, especially the one from 800deals for about $20 bucks.

Do a search here on the forum to find them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.