Who says that Macbook (non pro) cannot play games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by lewion, Jun 15, 2006.

1. lewion macrumors regular

lewion

Here is the proof, it definitly reaches 40 fps with half life 2 and it looks fabulous
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpSAf56v1S4
    even at 1280-800 it runs fabulous... Video is 1024*768....

Now if this can play 40 fps in half life, it will get 30 fps in Battlefield 2 and even CS Source (same engine as hl2)...

Gma950 is just as good as the 5200 in earlier powerbooks and sometimes even as good as radeon 9700!!! yeah you read that correctly.. The video card of previous powerbook..

Now stop the whine about the games, it can run them!

Oh and use bootcamp.. gma950 works better with dx9 than it does with opengl

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2990&article=Apple+Bootcamp+versus+Parallels site where i got it!

2. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

argh I know!

Lewion:I don't think anyone said that they can't play games, but it is a fact that shared graphics is worse than dedicated graphics. People are probably just disappointed because, even though it is (just) okay, they would rather have a dedicated card (obviously). I don't know...but we have enough threads on this, yes?

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

4. lewion thread starter macrumors regular

lewion

No! and stop whining, a lot of people like me are waiting for numbers... Numerous threads there are, but none has interesting information... they all talk ******** which i do not appreciate.. the only nice person here seems macrumoruser... and iheartapple isa great person too.. these guys help me, but all those posts... screw them this is for people who are in the same camp as me... so i'd like to get you two posts removed and get fresh start with persons that are intresting
    i do not want a discussion nor people sayin blabbla we had this already, why dyou post then!!!
    Damn weird people

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

But I think the point Lewion is trying to make is that is not true. Lewion is saying that in some cases integrated graphics are better than dedicated. IMO the GMA 950 is better than the 5200 and the 9200. It is debatable if the GMA 950 beats the 9550 or the 9700 because we can't use either of the Mac versions of those cards in Windows.

6. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

that video was pretty cool. ill try it someday when i get my hands on a copy of windows..

7. lewion thread starter macrumors regular

lewion

Thank you! + point for you!! :D Ifonly there were more people like you..

And i somewhere found numbers where the fps of the gma950 on macbook are better then 9700 o, powerbook.. it was a universal application fcourse i mean game.....

you do that.. but you got to know: this was with 2gig ram...

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thanks lewion. :) Great stuff.

Told you half life 2 worked grand :D Just wish my macbook optical drive hadnt packed up on me :eek: Now I have to wait for my new black replacement and I've got 2gig's sitting here waiting for it :D

9. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

okay. why don't you introduce some 'interesting' information into those threads (there are atleast 7), instead of starting another one.

10. x86 macrumors regular

x86

What was wrong with your original? I feel your pain because I have to send mine out for repair tomorrow...

11. lewion thread starter macrumors regular

lewion

Do i look like i need your comment??
    Jesus stop whining and go read some other posts!

12. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

hmm idk i cant see you.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The superdrive was always dicy on me, but it got to the point where it just wouldnt read ANY media what so ever. So it had to go back.

Apple offered to replace with exactly same spec machine, but as I'd already bought 2 pieces of 1gb in the mean time, I decided instead of spending the extra on the ram upgrade to 1gb with apple, i'll spend that difference on a black macbook. Just self indulgence :)

Just hope the new one is grand.

14. lewion thread starter macrumors regular

lewion

well then!
    Stop whining then i do what i think is good for all those people out there, btw this is news 40fps with hl2 on macbook is news, it should come on frontpage....

15. 7on macrumors 601

7on

yeah, I didn't like HL2 so much, I may pick up 1 for $10 though.

Oh yeah, Windows uses 200+MB of RAM for the video card while MacOSX uses 80MB (16 for system OS stuff and 64 extra). That is why games may work faster under Windows.

16. skipsandwichdx macrumors regular

Sweet, you get 40fps standing around a little area doing nothing. Benchmark?

17. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Somehow I find that disgracious for the other 65132+ members.

[Inigo's voice]You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.[/inigo's voice]

;)

Seriously. a calm and polite response to the criticism would have done more to establish the legitimacy of this thread than an irritated tantrum. Just a thought. Let's all try to play nice.

18. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

19. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

With My Black MacBook with 2GB of RAM, it runs usually around 30fps but dips to anywhere between 10-16fps. Its definitely playable, I just wish that more RAM can be allotted to the graphics card.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Hey I'm not complaining, I'm the good guy :)

Just other threads were hijacked by people with too much ego and not enough room to post, so it looked kind of bad. Especially for a forum newcomer.

But yeah most of mac rumors forum users are sound bunch of fellows, just the one or two bad pennies that give everyone a bad name. :)

21. lewion thread starter macrumors regular

lewion

I shall try and use another word then for people who are complaining about my posts :D, and seriously.. the only two people of good help are macrumoruser and iheartapple... there are a lot of good fellows out there, but i'm just new.. the only thing i'm intrested in is macbook and gaming... so... not that it neeeds to run good games, just things like doom hl2 and wow, those in particulary... and yes other things too.. but not a game like Oblivion.. it doesn't have a chance of being playable..

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats funny, that what iam hearing. I suggest going into action.:)

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

:rolleyes: Wondered how long it would take before the trolls arrived. And you wonder why lewion thought badly of the whole community.

Dont hurt me you have had nothing constructive to add to any of the gaming on macbook threads EVER, and insist the macbook is not for gaming. GREAT WEVE HEARD YOU... A million times already.... Don't you think it's time to simply GET OVER IT! and leave those that can and are gaming on their macbooks alone? :rolleyes:

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Integrated graphics are what they are....go to barefeats but I would feel very sorry for someone thinking they will be able to do some newer stuff only to find they cant. Benches do tell. Macbook may be fine for older games and iLife but newer stuff wont run very well. Its a great little cpu machine just not a very good graphics system. Look here for 1 examplehttp://www.barefeats.com/kak4c.html