Who secretly has a pc that they like to beat up on

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bote, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Bote macrumors regular

Bote

I love my mac but for various reason I have a few pcs in my house also. My main "PC" is such a POS! I have built and rebuilt it various times from old parts and some new ones too. It currently resembles frankenstein. I have kicked it so many times that the case broke and I just have the aluminum frame left with a box fan pointed at the mobo for cooling purposes. Anyone have such a monster living in your house that you will admit too??? :eek:

2. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

I've plenty of old PC's running in my house, mostly to keep the heat bills down in the winter, though.

My main PC runs smooth as a bird and rarely has any run-in's with malware. I must admit that it doesn't run quite as fast as my Mac, but then again, that's to be expected. :D

I think my worst monstrosity is an old Compaq Presario 233Mhz with 2 loudly ticking fans, an 800x600 res. monitor, 64MB of PC2100 RAM, and a 3GB hard drive, running XP Pro... yeah, it's not exactly quick... :)

3. Bote thread starter macrumors regular

Bote

I think that I have that same monitor. Mine is 13.5 in viewable but the res is set to 1024/768. Everything is sooooo small. :D

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I used to have a Dell Dimension 8200 w/ 2GHz P4 and 512MB RDRAM running XPee Home that I used to contemplate beating the s**t out of on occasion. :)

From there I built my own pc (3.06GHz P4 w/HT, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR400, XPee Pro) that was actually pretty cool. But eventually I saw the light and went for my Power Mac G5 (such a good choice :D ).

5. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

any one else with a "Totally Awesome" Peice of ...shtuff

Go ahead google it... this fellow got of an Lds mission and decided to start a Computer Outlet, Gun range and Sky diving... his computers are crap... he waved his guns at children and dropped from the sky on his first dive... Why won't he go kick the bucket!...

The nice thing is his new commercials have the "Blue Tiger-Desktop" background-...

C'mon Apple Sue him!

Any way it's a crappy slow computer with xP and it always crashes... now it's just a major paper weight... and been thrown the stairs once or twice...

Who needs pC's other than the john |=(o)< ...does it look like a toilet?

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Ya, I can see the resemblance! :)

7. Bote thread starter macrumors regular

Bote

I do see the toilet :) I will have to use that sometime if you don't mind. I have to ask. What the hell do you do with all of those iPods??

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I have loads. Mum's desktop and Tosh P2 Laptop, my bro's P4, my P3, my P2s, my P1s, my 486, my Amstrad ALT-386SX "Laptop Computer" and a few of my clients' machines (2 at any one time, usually)

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I have a Dell laptop (suppplied by work).

I have been known to hit it so hard (It constantly will BSOD on logging into XP, and has done this many times before I first hit the dang thing) that the system reboots without me hitting a button! :eek:

Oddly I have never purposly damaged, or destoryed a piece of technology (well except a Gameboy, and PS2 Controller) out of anger / rage. I tend to feel bad and sorry for others equipment when I see people hitting laptops, or MP3 players at Coffee shops, or other places. I have no idea why I am this way, and the same goes with Automobiles. When I see someone hitting or kicking an old beater I feel bad, "Jebus leave that car alone, what did it do to you!"

For some reason I have no love for Dell equipment :confused:

I can honestly say I have NEVER hit a Macintosh, even when they crash I am able to accept it, I have absolutely NO idea why either!

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Same here.
    Beating a Dell can actually provide some pleasure (and good exercise) :eek: :)

Interesting, I feel the same way. Could not bring myself to "hurt" a Mac. :)

11. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Its cause there so beautiful. would you punch a hot girl?

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Very true, and no I most certainly would not punch a hot girl (or any girl for that matter). :)

13. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Thanks I now have a WET iBook after reading that!

Somehow some coffee sprayed out of my mouth after reading that post! :D

14. emmawu macrumors 6502

I've got a beige (aren't they all) 286 that can heat my basement. I'm going to dispose of it but would like to pound it like those guys in "Office Space". It just hums and heats. Funny, I've got an SE30 which works perfectly.

15. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Send it to me and I'll post a video of me taking care of it "Office Space" style.

I've got M80's (shhh) and my father owns a bit of land. :D

16. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

It's no secret.
    I'm a Mac guy. I do ALL my important work on it, and have since 1985. I view PC's as a sometimes necessary tool, mostly of the evil variety. I have a Sony 12" laptop (well built and damned light actually... but a bit slow), and I just got a new Sony Vaio 3.8 with 2GB RAM, CD and DVD burner... pretty much the works. Why? In my line of work it's needed. And let's face it, games, man, games. Sony makes VERY nice machines by the way. I'd never buy another brand. And one thing the makers are doing is making an invisible partition that has a copy of the entire install, apps and all. I used it twice already, and it's sweet. Frag it? No worries, just hold F10 and do a restore back to factory. Macs don't need anything like that, of course.
    I don't BEAT UP on it in the physical sense, but I do in the metaphysical sense.

17. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

Beater PC's

Ya, I have quite a few beater PC's. I look at them like my old cars.. I gut parts, swap parts, whatever needed to have machines working. I used to work for a PC manufacturer, so I have a ton of random parts.. I keep my PC's around so I can play with FC4, and I have a few Apps. I need XP for, so that's there too. I just recently bought(built) a new PC (see sig) so I could play games with a friend online- I like to consider this my last PC purchase, all my pennies are being saved for a PM (wishing for Dual-Core PPC). All my PC's have been rebuilt several times, although I would never disgrace a Mac like that- although I have completly disassembled a G4 Powerbook to replace the logic board. My Mac(s) are like a Porche, you just drive it, maybe put premium fuel, but never have to lift the hood.. PC's are kinda like Linkon Logs, build up, tear down, repeat..

18. Bote thread starter macrumors regular

Bote

Hahaha Office Space was what I was thinking about when I started this thread :) I love that scene....... :D

19. Bote thread starter macrumors regular

Bote

I like the linken logs analogy. soooo true!! :)

20. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yikes...sorry to make you spray coffee all over your iBook. :eek:

Guess that I will have to put disclaimers on some of my posts-
    ****Disclaimer*****
    Avoid drinking or eating while reading this post as you may accidentally spray a potentially harmful substance all over your Mac. :)

21. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i have to hit my pc crt to stop it emmiting an annoying high pitched ringing, i also attacked a stack of P2's with a fire axe at school, that was fun.

22. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Ooh, that had to have been a nice time. :)