Who should be the next PM

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zaid, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Zaid macrumors 6502

Feb 17, 2003
    Anyone have any opinions on who they'd like to see as the next PM?

I can't see either the Lib dems or the tories winning in the next election (though we'll have to wait and see), but i can't stand the idea of Tony being PM again.

Howard seems even more untrustworthy than blair, and Kenedy, well seriously, i can't see him as prime minister. (as an aside why is he even the lib dem leader. There are others in his party far more impressive than he is. Menzies Campbell for instance)

So in the labour camp it's between Tony and Brown. I'd love to see Brown as the next PM, though i doubt short of being forced out that Tony will step down.

Of course the only bad thing about Brown being prime minister is that he won't be chancellor any more :)

So what are your thoughts, who would you like to see as prime minister
  2. acdninjapan macrumors newbie

Jul 6, 2004
    The Beaches Tokyo Japan
    How about we send you our PM in trade for yours? Just think you can wrap Tony Blair up in a plain brown wrapper and we'll give you Koizumi in exchange.
  3. toontra macrumors 6502

Feb 6, 2003
    London UK
    Whatever. But I really think we should try and move away from personality politics whenever possible. Look at Blair - he is almost the epitome of a personality politician and look where it's got us! He has single-handedly persuaded me to change the voting habits of a lifetime (Labour) and switch to Lib Dem.

I hope people can move away from personalities and historical voting patterns and concentrate on the various parties' policies. That's what I did and I was amazed to find that what Labour once stood for 20 years ago is more or less what the Lib Dems stand for now. It's not that I've changed, it's Labour who've sold their soul to gain power, IMO.

I tend to agree with you about Kennedy, but let's get the policies we need first and perhaps the leadership thing can resolve itself later (as Gordon Brown probably once said!).
  4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I'm not a political buff, to be honest politics just gets on my nerves...but if I had to choose, I'd probably say I think Brown would do a decent job.

BWT, the thought of Michael Howard in charge of the county scares me! :eek:
  5. mda01aqt macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2004
    my family has a history of supporting labour.members of my close family are part of the the local labour campaign group. i have decided that unless tony blair step down by the time of the election i will vote lib dem.

i hate the idea of protest voting.......but to be honest i have liked their policies such as scrapping student tution fees, on energy and on health. (their budget is also solid). i hope they become the opposition at least!!

if are still in power i wud like brown to be the leader and would wnt jack straw, david blunkett and alan milburn to be sacked as well!!

zaid, u are right that Menzies Campbell is a far better politician that kennedy but i think he is far too old to even run for the leadership of his party! i think he does a brilliant job publicising the party and their views in many current affair programmes.
  6. Zaid thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 17, 2003
    Agreed, as much as i dislike the idea of protest voting, i may just have to vote lib dem. Who have probably picked up the mantle of the left wing in parliament (my god what has the world come to) sice tony took labour to the right of centre.

The only problem i have with the lib dems is well i don't even think they know what they stand for. (Campbell may be old, but i could see him as pm, not kennedy)

If brown was leading labour i could see the party being something worth voting for again, not because of brown per se, but because i think he'd take the party back to the left of centre.

The way i'm feeling at the moment tho is that anyone running on a platform of renationalising the railways (or return the threat of loss to the companies running the railways) would get my vote
  7. slughead macrumors 68030

Apr 28, 2004
    I was in Briton watching the BBC's coverage of your election on your voting day last PM election.

I have to say, the comedians there are really, really funny.

Who was that guy who dressed up like tony blair and started conceding to everything the interviewer said? I think he also did an impression of the conservative and libdem guys. That had me in stitches.

Anyways, I don't know who the other guys running are or what issues they're for, but Tony was certainly the badass of your last election. We've not had an orator that good for president since Reagan, and he had to have all his schtick pre-written.
  8. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    Good Call Toontra.

Time to vote on policies, not who is a better public speaker, or who has the whiter teeth.

I voted Lib Dem when I was over there last.