Who Should Pay for Litter Cleanup?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Jul 30, 2006.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

In the southern US, there is apparently a major problem with littering.

As an example, apparently in AZ, 250k pounds of trash were picked up last year, while there are 25 million pounds out there, and an estimated 4 million accumulating each year.

Right now, a mix of funding is used to pick it up (as there is garbage on fed/state/local land) So, with all that garbage, who should be paying to clean up all this garbage?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Some places have litter detectives who sort through some of the trash looking for names and addresses, charging back those whose trash ends up at illegal dump sites with the cleanup and hefty fines.

Of course, this requires an initial budget of a million or more to kick off before the first cases and the fines bear fruit.

Basically, a non-starter because there are other things higher on the budget than litter, and sheriff joe and the chain gang don't pick up too much, and community garbage duty isn't going to make a dent.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

I think jailed convicts should work for their room and board by picking it up.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think the majority of litter in my area is picked up by people sentenced to do community service. but i could be wrong on that.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's the case here.

Other day, I was looking out my front window and was surprised to see, for the first time ever, four orange-jumpsuited guys walking down my street picking up trash.

A moment later, following them, came a sheriff's deputy in a passenger-type van.

6. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Having convicts/community service pick up the garbage would be great, but you still have to figure out who picks up the tab. I mean, you have people dumping garbage in Southern AZ, should I be picking up the tab?

7. iGary Guest

iGary

If it is on Federal land, yes, if not, no.

The better solution is for people to stop being lazy slobs and dispose of their detritus properly, but that ain't happening.

8. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Where I live the majority of litter is from the Mcdonalds Drive-thru (the number of car's that I've seen, where the occupants throw a wrapper out their window :mad: ), and I think that Mcdonalds should employ people to collect all of their Big Mac wrappers and bags to be recycled.

Maybe they could employ all of those obese junk-food eating clientele - they definitely need the exercise.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Actually, the McD's operating manual says that people should be sent out on trash walks several times a day (can't recall the frequency now)

They're given a particularly unfetching large coat with a giant M and trash walk on the back, a cart and a set of pincers for picking up junk and they're supposed to clear within x radius of the premises - and pick up all litter not just McDs

But I'd imagine that's tougher to do in a drive-thru. They do sponsor litter removal along stretches of road too.

But I'd like to see bigger fines for people littering to pay for those who have to clear it up. A street cleaner comes along my road twice a week to sweep up the leaves/litter but that comes out of my council tax!

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The cost of litter removal should be borne by whomevers land it is. If it's city land, they pay. If it's federal land, the federal government should pay. Private land needs to be cleaned up by private citizens.

Litter removal is one of those things that is done for the common good, and something that would otherwise not be done. These kinds of unsexy things are what a properly functioning government does best.

That said, I've got no problem using convicts for labor for litter removal on public land. Let governments reimburse the prison for the cost of guards, transport, equipment, disposal costs, etc.

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I've never seen that, maybe I shouldn't be so hard on McDonalds ;) Nah, they deserve it!

I agree!

Maybe companies should be fined for their customer's littering. I don't know if it could work, but I'm sure it would get these massive companies doing more to eliminate this problem.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I don't think litter is a big enough problem to warrant taking funds from other meat & potatoes environmental problems. It's largely an aesthetic issue, and there's no community harm in stray wrappers and such biodegrading alongside an interstate.

Illegal dumping is a more serious problem.

13. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I agree that stray wrappers & such are not the most serious environmental problem, but it just looks so bloody awful. There's a 1/2 mile stretch of road leading to the Drive-thru that looks disgusting, all the roadside 'greenery' is covered in multi-coloured litter.

It makes me so effing angry, I mean if these people can't be bothered to dispose of their litter properly, what else are they not doing? :mad:

14. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I always see signs on highways that say $500 fine for littering so it upsets me when I see people litter. I wish I could pull them over and fine them myself. $500 would make most people think twice about what they do with their McD wrappers and cigarettes.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Really. There are cities -- Toronto comes to mind -- where the people actually take pride in their towns, and keep them clean.

'Course, that's Canada. We're the United States, world's biggest polluter by far. :rolleyes:

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i used to work in the suburbs, reverse-commuting on a regional train and using the stop right next to a horse-racing track.

during the season and evening rush hour, the platform would be crowded with people coming from the track. they'd dump handfuls of race tickets on the ground, even when surrounded by garbage cans.

i finally confronted someone and pointed to a garbage can not six feet away from him. his excuse was to grunt at me and point at all the garbage already on the ground.

so i pushed him in front of a train.

okay, i made up the last part. but i hated ****ing race season. what a disgusting lot we've become.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Fines are huge, but they're seldom enforced. Don't worry, soon there will be cameras everywhere so it'll be a lot cheaper and easier for people to be fined. Feel better? :eek:

18. Motley macrumors 6502

It's the cigarette butts that really annoy me. Practically every 4 way stop has dozens if not hundreds of butts people have tossed out the window. At a light waiting to get onto the highway I saw someone toss their cigarette into some very tall, dry grass. I try not to be an anti-smoking nazi, but the sheer laziness and disregard of some people really make it hard.

19. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Nope... :eek:

Then again, much as I hate the idea of CCTV everywhere, when I was mugged a few years ago, the police couldn't do much since there was no evidence of the 'hoodie' who got me. CCTV might have been able to track him...and catch him littering when he threw my handbag away! :mad:

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

My father has taken it upon himself to clear a stretch of road near his house. We once got the local community together and removed hundreds of pounds of trash, and most of it was fast-food wrappers, the rest being beer bottles and plastic grocery bags.

It's amazing that people just chuck this stuff out into the desert.

21. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Why can't people just use the damn trash can? I've seen two year olds who put their trash in the trash can. Ipso facto, there is a sizeable portion of the American population with the maturity that is less than that of a two year old. Now that is scary.

22. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

I'd like to see the literbugs pick up the tab, but I can't think of an effective way of tagging them. How about non-violent con metermaid type deal. No gun and a quota?