Who should replace Steve Jobs and why?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wrldwzrd89, Jan 14, 2005.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

When Steve Jobs becomes unable to continue his work at Apple, for whatever reason (retirement included), who should Apple pick to replace him, and why would you choose this person?

My pick is Phil Schiller.

Judging by the time he did a keynote while Steve Jobs was ill, he's got much the same charm that Steve has. I think he's even picked up traces of Steve's legendary RDF (Reality Distortion Field). Phil's a creative and marketing type too - just the kind of person everyone wants to replace Steve Jobs.

2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Every large company has steps where if someone like Jobs dies or was to leave with little notice the company will not loss much (well atleast all good companys). I am sure there are many people who can do his job in Apple, Steave cant be doing everything, he is like the captin of a ship he just directs the ship and gets it to where it should go.

I would not want to see him go, only good things has happend to apple since he joined (2nd time), but if worst comes to worst i am 100% Apple will still make great products and be as good as it is right now.

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I think they should pick me ;)

Just kidding. Phil Schiller seems an obvious pick, because he held a keynote when Steve was unavailable, but we don’t know if there’s someone else who’s just as good. There might even come someone from outside Apple.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Phil Schiller is great, and I could see Apple appointing him CEO after Jobs, but could he really take SJ's place? Could anyone? I mean, lots of people can run a company, but would Apple be quite the same without SJ's vision?

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    shudder at the thought, unless he brings conan obrien along :D

6. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Phil Schiller gives me the creeps, puts me in mind of a shifty secondhand car salesman. Also that accent is, well gets on my nerves.
    I'd personally prefer Ives.

7. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Developers, developers... come on... get jobs out get conan in, i think its obvious what we need to do :)

s for jay ives, hmmm wont it just all be pretty pretty without any power?

8. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nomination...

I say I should be hired. Free apple products for all those who write me letters of recommendation!

10. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

It probably will be Phil Schiller, but it SHOULD be either Woz or Oppenheimer.

11. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

An anal, neurotic, genius that has grown up on apples and no one knows him/her yet.

12. noel4r macrumors 6502a

13. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I'd pick wozniak, no buisness sense but hes got hart...and potential to lose alot of money for apple :rolleyes: ...so on second thought id go for Ives.

14. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Jonathan Ives would be a good replacement too - all that style of his will guide Apple along. Does he have what it takes to be a CEO, though - that's the big question.

15. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Considering replace SJ the first time didn't go so well... I'm not looking forward to him ever leaving Apple.

16. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I certainly hope Apple learned from that mistake. It's in Apple's best interests to plan for the eventual departure of their CEO. I like having him around myself, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't grow to like Phil Schiller/Jonathan Ives/whoever replaces him.

17. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

I hear Michael Eisner is looking for a new job.

j/k

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Since Steve is going to be 50 this year, he could be around for 10 years or so. The replacement that they probably grooming should be longer, so that person would be around for a while. Steve's replacement could also be female, how about the one during the Keynote that was from Paris?

19. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Good point wdlove - although I don't remember the specific person you refer to. Apple would be in line with HP in that respect, assuming Carly Fiorina stays around (or her replacement is also female).

20. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

hmm i dont know about you guys but i think seeing a female replacing Steve would be groundbreaking or something close. Apple seems to have a reputation for doing groundbreaking things, so why couldnt they do something that is groundbreaking for the future of Apple? Yea, there is a female CEO for HP but it is still a pretty big thing, so I would actually like to see something like this to happen. :)

21. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It was Danika Cleary, iPod and iSight product manager.

22. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

How 'bout we rehire John Sculley? :eek:

Wow, I can't believe that even went through my head. I can't bear the thought of Jobs leaving Apple for the final time either, but it has to happen some time (hopefully not for a long, long, long time though). I see either Schiller or Ive taking over at that point, but who knows? Maybe somebody else will come on the scene between now and the time that Jobs retires.

Daniel

23. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

By the time Jobs retires Apple sould probably split into several smaller companies, each with it's own CEO and single board of directors to guide the whole thing in one direction.

I'm thinking an iPod/iTMS company, a computer manufacturer and OS company, a software (iLife, iWorks, FCP, etc), and a PDA company (I want a new Newton! ;-) ).

The only position that I would fill is Woz for the PDA company... That branch should also handle any Apple branded cell phones, etc. Each seperate company should have full IP rights to any product the other develop, so, for example, an Apple PDA could encorporate the iPod software for it's built in music player, and software developers would have access to any and all innovations from the next generation OS that is being worked on etc.

I suggest this becasue it seems that the success of the iPod is going to warrant a significant chunk of Apples resources in the future, and it is clearly a profitable market. Seperating them apart will free each business unit to do what is good/profitable for IT'S sector, and not have to worry about the "whole bottom line".

Rob