who still uses floppies?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Oct 2, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

on my mac, the only external storage i use is the zip 100

on my PC, i rarely use the zip 100, but i still use the floppies for word documents and small digital camera pix i take on my thirty dollar "ralph's" grocery store camera...darn, that thing works great for e-mail pix and such

2. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I still use floppies...I don't have a CD burner! :eek: It gets annoying when my word docs go over 1.5 MB...then I have to upload it on my dial-up then redownload it on a different computer...very, very annoying. Oh did I mention I don't have ethernet as well? :D

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I haven't had a floppy drive for use in probably 2 years...

I dumped them for Zip a few years ago...

now I don't have one on any computer I use...the only time I ever touch one is when a client provides me their "artwork" on floppy... :rolleyes:

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

hear hear!! haha here they come with thier floppies.... lets run!

i can sympothize with you eye. i havent used a floppy drive in ages also.... just when helping my pc friends switch to macs. i have a cd burner and 250 mb zip drive as for media devices.

best qoute ive heard thus far on floppies...

"I dont want no stinkin mac they dont have a floppy drive"

--- a dell user

5. vniow macrumors G4

I still do occasionally, but that's because I've tweaked my PC endlessly, plus I've installed and uninstalled Mandrake 8.2 which required a floppy.
    My parents computer has used it extensively, but that's only because it's crashed so much.:p

6. losfp macrumors regular

I still use floppies, but not very often.

The most common use I have for them is when I bring my laptop into work and need to get small files to and from the notebook (IBM ThinkPad) and my work PC. The work PC doesn't have USB (running Win NT4) and doesn't have a burner.

Other than that, I usually transfer everything via ethernet (have a hybrid 10/100 and WiFi network at home) or CD-R if I want to do a more permanent backup.

Floppies have their place (small, inexpensive, relatively fast for small files), but I'd still rather transfer files over the network.

7. job macrumors 68040

job

I only use floppies in school...

You would think that if they waste money on installing DVD Drives in 10 year old Dells, they could at least afford one CD-RW drive...but nooo.... :rolleyes:

8. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

yeah, i dont think i have used a floppy in 4 years. obviously my TiBook doesnt have one but even when i used my PC laptop i only ever really needed to move word files and since that was mainly just to PCs in the campus lab. And then i just emailed them to myself because the floppy drives on campus were always busted or couldnt read my disk or whatever.

now i can just save things i need to move to the 5mb i have on the law schools server or over a network or if its huge..on CD

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

My computer science teacher requires them, so I use floppies for my comp sci class every once in a while. I havn't used one barely ever for home computer use.

10. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

I have not used floppies on my main machine for about 1-2 yrs. I always transfer files over the internet, or ethernet or CD-R.

But I do use floppies every day though... To boot up my Mac Plus with System 3.2 :D :D :D :cool:

Attached Files:

11. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i once heard about those mythical things, but i still don't understand what a floppy disk is.

but seriously, i use either my 128mb usb pen drive, a cd-r, ethernet, or a zip to move my info.

12. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

cd-r drive all the way for me now :p...i was once trying to install winblowz 3.1 with a cd but didnt work.. lol

13. sturm375 macrumors 6502

Yes,

I still use floppies for:

Backing up financial info from a computer program.

Emergency Repair Disk onWin2k

Boot SuSE Linux

Drivers for NIC, HD, Motherboard, DVD-ROM

Norton Ghost

Moving small files to remote locations.

Also, My dad has a Floppy adapter for his Smart Media. This allows him to load images from his 128MB SmartMedia chip onto any computer with a Floppy drive.

Never owned a Mac with a floppy drive, so can't say I've ever used them on that side.

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I haven't used a floppy in 4 years. Part of that is that I got a B/WG3 (no floppy drive) with a internal zip.

15. Wash!! macrumors 6502

That's a great little machine you got there:D (God I miss my old LC)

16. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Most of the faculty and students here at SDSU still use floppies. They get all bitter when I tell them to buy a ZIP. Or when I tell them I can't recover their data.

17. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

are they the traditional mac using educators and staff/students or have they been "Dell-ed":eek:

our state university, in monterey county, has finally got its "initial" accredidation...god, it only took eight years

i hope it doesn't take another eight to get officially accredited and become a real college like you guys in san diego

and then we can get a football team

and then we can get someone like marshall faulk

and then he can go pro

and then that team can win the superbowl

and then that player can be named superbowl MVP

...but i am hoping for a lot and it may be a century before all those stars and planets line up like that...he he...my bro was at SDSU and had marshall in a class with him

my cousin went to cal in '69 or '70 and was in class with chuck muncie who i think also once played for the rams when he went pro, too

no one famous, from cal poly or sonoma state (my schools), ever made it that big:rolleyes:

18. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

The faculty are almost all "Dell-ed". The students are clueless about macs. We just recently got rid of our Super-Drive USB floppys on the Macs. Zip only now.

But 95% pf people don't have their own ZIP here, or even know the first thing about them. I get sick of supporting them after a while. I politely tell them they've been obsolete for quite some time now.

Only a few Mac faculty and they don't know much about X yet.

19. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i have to give it to dell for getting out there

he is the bill gates of this decade for sure

maybe him starting his business from his dorm room in college made him realize the huge opportunity selling to schools since he might have known educators are so gullible

well, apple has a real saavy foe in dell in the education market now and there are prolly some kids who will go thru K-12 without ever having once seen a mac in a classroom

in my day, or actually, quite some time after my day, i saw the introduction of computers into classrooms and they were all macs then...not one stinking PC:p

20. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Gullible is definitely the word I would use.
    I didn't have hands on experience with one at school until my senior year in HS in my A+ class. Before that all I used were //e s, LC's, and assorted PowerMacs.
    I guess it's the opposite now. Apple used to own the edu market. They did something wrong, and now they prob won't ever regain thier position. Once educators get bitten by PC's there's almost no return for them.

21. big macrumors 65816

big

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Cleaning up around my office today - I'm getting moved to another one across the building - and I found a few - which would still work on my G3.

Titles include:

Your Apple Tour of Macintosh II Applications (2 Disks)

Mac Draw II

ChipSoft - ManInTax Personal/1040 for 1991 (not mine, no idea who's)

Microsoft Word - Document Processing Program (1 800k Floppy for the whole thing!!!) 2 copies.

Any offers?

D

23. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

A CONDOM!!!

:D

24. big macrumors 65816

big

25. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I'm so attached to the cute little thing, I have to give it a good night kiss before I go to bed. My girlfriend is a bit jealous... :eek: :D