Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Apple announce a new Mac Pro on Monday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

td2243

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Simple question: Do you think they will announce a new Mac Pro on Monday. I would sure like them to, but I'm doubtful they will. I would love to see what the masses on macrumors believe.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Simple question: Do you think they will announce a new Mac Pro on Monday. I would sure like them to, but I'm doubtful they will. I would love to see what the masses on macrumors believe.

Announce, probably. Ship? No.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
As I've said before, I reckon it'll launch at WWDC, most likely alongside a new pro app. Logic X and the Mac Pro are both LONG overdue, so what better way for Apple to renew professional customer interest than to release both at the same time?

One theory I have in the back of my head (it's only a vague one that I don't think has much weight behind it at all, but still) is that the recently pictured 'Wave' banner with an 'X' actually represents Logic X rather than a new naming scheme for OS X, which I think will come after v10.9. The wave image could represent sound waves and the new font used for the 'X' could symbolise a redesign of the UI. Using a physical wave for the sound wave could stand for it being a new, natural way for musicians to record with.

Just a thought.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
If the Thunderbolt fanatics get their way, it won't be a new "Mac Pro".

The Mac Pro as we know it will be discontinued, and we'll get a new Mac Prosumer replacement instead.

-SC

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
As I've said before, I reckon it'll launch at WWDC, most likely alongside a new pro app. Logic X and the Mac Pro are both LONG overdue, so what better way for Apple to renew professional customer interest than to release both at the same time?

One theory I have in the back of my head (it's only a vague one that I don't think has much weight behind it at all, but still) is that the recently pictured 'Wave' banner with an 'X' actually represents Logic X rather than a new naming scheme for OS X, which I think will come after v10.9. The wave image could represent sound waves and the new font used for the 'X' could symbolise a redesign of the UI. Using a physical wave for the sound wave could stand for it being a new, natural way for musicians to record with.

Just a thought.

Why would they be showing off Logic at WWDC? This isn't Macworld 2.0. It is a developer conference, mostly iOS focused.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
I think Apple may announce a new Mac Pro but ordering/shipping will be 3rd Qtr.

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2010

The Mac Pro as we know it will be discontinued, and we'll get a new Mac Prosumer replacement instead.

-SC

Agreed. I'll keep an open mind. I'll be glad to wrap this saga up one way or the other. I get a machine with enough power and extensibility...or I have the information I need to comfortably migrate to a Windows workstation.

I likely don't fall into the 90% of users that Apple will be targeting. I hope I'm wrong.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
I can't see it. Unless Apple have some inside info that Ivybridge-E is going to be delayed till late 2014 and that they cannot wait that long.

I just cannot see Apple launching a new Pro machine on Sandybridge-E this late in the processor's life.

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
Yes

My friend with friends at Apple tells me it's likely. Perhaps it's wishful thinking, though. I doubt they'll ship before the fall. Sandy Bridge is too old - the backlash from announcing a Sandy bridge processor upgrade now would be very severe.

td2243

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
My friend with friends at Apple tells me it's likely. Perhaps it's wishful thinking, though. I doubt they'll ship before the fall. Sandy Bridge is too old - the backlash from announcing a Sandy bridge processor upgrade now would be very severe.

Apple is sort of in a corner. If they announce something new that ships ASAP, then people will be disappointed at already dated technology...again. If they don't announce anything, they will lose even more people to other systems.

I HOPE they announce something to be shipped later, like many people have said.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles

-SC

Thunderbolt is great and you can pretty much do anything with it except graphics cards I suppose.

I didn't know there were fanatics. Does that mean your'e anti THunderbolt?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.