Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Again, I have iOS 8 Beta 5 on an A5-equipped 5th generation iPod touch and it is markedly slower than iOS 7 is on the same device. I literally have two 16GB rear-camera-less models, one with iOS 7 and one with iOS 8 Beta 5 and the difference in speed is VERY apparent.
I expect this kind of speed deficit between an unfinished OS and an OS with a .1 optimization update. I will argue that iOS 8.1 will barely be slower than iOS 7.1.

Each version of iOS since 2.0 has made the OS that much slower for the device it is running on. 8 is no exception to the rule.
I think 8 is an exception to that rule. iOS 7 was the biggest OS redesign since iOS 1. Huge redesign updates are not optimized as well as the other updates. Just as you said, iOS 2 barely decreased the speed of iOS 1. And iOS 8 will barely decrease the speed of iOS 7.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I expect this kind of speed deficit between an unfinished OS and an OS with a .1 optimization update. I will argue that iOS 8.1 will barely be slower than iOS 7.1.

iOS 6 was slower than iOS 5 and in the same vein that 7 was slower than 6; the visual redesign had nothing to do with it. Each new version is slower. As for 8.1, I expect the same thing to be said about 7.1 to be said for 8.1, "it's faster than .0, but not as fast as the last release of the previous major version of iOS". I expect 8.1.x to be still noticeably slower than 7.1.last because that is the trend. The iPhone 4S and the fifth generation iPod touch run iOS 7 quite well. The iPad 2 and the first generation iPad mini run it sluggishly. I don't expect that iOS 8 will give better or even similar mileage because that's not the trend.

I think 8 is an exception to that rule. iOS 7 was the biggest OS redesign since iOS 1. Huge redesign updates are not optimized as well as the other updates. Just as you said, iOS 2 barely decreased the speed of iOS 1. And iOS 8 will barely decrease the speed of iOS 7.

iOS 2 NOTICEABLY decreased speed from iOS 1. iOS 7's visual redesign wasn't what contributed to it running more sluggish. That was mostly cosmetics. The several under-the-hood changes made in that OS is what made it sluggish, and that would've happened whether they used the new icon-set or the Forestall iOS 6 set.

Also, you can't tell me that devices running the Apple A5 are not doing anything other than getting progressively slower over time. Such is the way of iOS devices and their processing innards.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Agree with you, except
iOS 7's visual redesign wasn't what contributed to it running more sluggish. That was mostly cosmetics. The several under-the-hood changes made in that OS is what made it sluggish, and that would've happened whether they used the new icon-set or the Forestall iOS 6 set.
The iOS 7 design WAS what made it sluggish: control center, Web-OS style multitasking, and pull-down search was what slowed it down.
Also, you can't tell me that devices running the Apple A5 are not doing anything other than getting progressively slower over time. Such is the way of iOS devices and their processing innards.
No, new updates usually slow down older iOS devices because: Apple's mobile processors are improving so rapidly right now. Once mobile processor improvements come less rapidly, you'll certainly see the same thing that Apple is doing to Macs: New updates don't slow them down, but many times speed them up. And older devices are supported longer.

The 2013 Apple iOS processor is 600% faster than the 2011 Apple iOS processor. The 2014 Mac intel processor is 10-20% faster than the 2012 Mac intel processor.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Agree with you, except
The iOS 7 design WAS what made it sluggish: control center, Web-OS style multitasking, and pull-down search was what slowed it down.

Nope, they made all sorts of changes under the hood with that release that had nothing to do with animations. Yes, the animations were too much for the iPhone's A4 processor, but then again, the A4 was pretty weak with most things past iOS 4. Yes those animations are smoother on A6 and A7 based processors than A5 processors. But those animations and effects are far from the only thing changing with the OS to make devices with older CPUs run more slowly. iOS 8 adds all sorts of challenges to speed just with extensions support alone.

No, new updates usually slow down older iOS devices because: Apple's mobile processors are improving so rapidly right now. Once mobile processor improvements come less rapidly, you'll certainly see the same thing that Apple is doing to Macs: New updates don't slow them down, but many times speed them up. And older devices are supported longer.

The 2013 Apple iOS processor is 600% faster than the 2011 Apple iOS processor. The 2014 Mac intel processor is 10-20% faster than the 2012 Mac intel processor.

A. Apple making its hardware faster has nothing to do with why its software slows down version to version. It slows down version to version because they put more into it. iOS 7 is much more complex than 5 was, and more complex than 3 and 2 were, etc. That has nothing to do with processor advancement.

B. The 2014 Mac processors still use Haswell, which is only one generation up from the Ivy Bridge processors that the 2012 Macs had because Intel still hasn't come out with Broadwell chips for Apple to use (which is what should've come out in 2014; the 2014 Mac processors are still the same as the 2013 Mac processors). That's a bad analogy. Also, the technology at the low-end of Apple's minimum requirements for Mountain Lion, Mavericks, and now Yosemite, is OLD. The only reason why Apple hasn't abandoned it yet is that they haven't come up with a technology that those machines can't also run. Give them time and they eventually will, though.
On the same note, you have iOS 7 excluding iOS 6-compatible devices like the fourth generation iPod touch (which had the same speed processor as the iPhone 4) and the iPhone 3GS due to a lack of RAM, and you have iOS 8 excluding the iPhone 4 and the second generation AppleTV due to sluggish performance with the A4 processors. Given how much slower iOS 8.0 beta 5 is so far compared to even 7.0 (and mind you, beta 5 for iOS 7 was where they finally tweaked performance for release), you might be right about A5 devices running iOS 9; but the trend very strongly seems to suggest otherwise.

$M.H$

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2014
Time to speculate.
Part of the decision to purchase a mobile device is based on the support you expect to receive in the future. Apple just announced a new/updated 16Gig iPod Touch with two cameras. The question is, will this new iPod Touch run the new iOS 9 next year? If so, could anything possibly prevent the older iPod Touch 5s from also running iOS 9? Will any iOS devices with the A5 CPU or higher be able to run iOS 9 next year?

What do you think Apple will do?

I think they will stop making iPod touch !
Because the sells of the iPod 5 are less than the iPod touch 4 by nearly 50 % !!!
-
And for people how don't like to spend much money for apple devices , they can buy the iPhone 5C so the iPod went down :(
-
I don't think the 5th iPod touch will run ios 9 or any A5 chip device :(

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
And for people how don't like to spend much money for apple devices , they can buy the iPhone 5C so the iPod went down

The iPhone 5C is nearly triple the price of the iPod Touch. I don't think anyone concerned about cost would be buying a 5C over a Touch.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
The iPod Touch 4G was still being sold when the iPod Touch 5G was released for a while yet was not updated to iOS 7. iOS 8 would pretty much be its last leg. Apple isn't afraid of dropping support, iPad 1 was dropped pretty early due to lack of RAM.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
The iPod Touch 4G was still being sold when the iPod Touch 5G was released for a while yet was not updated to iOS 7. iOS 8 would pretty much be its last leg. Apple isn't afraid of dropping support, iPad 1 was dropped pretty early due to lack of RAM.

Yup, plus Apple want at you to buy another device. Imaging the trickery there!!!

theipodcollecto

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
cant axe two ipads at once

they wont kill the ipad 2 and 3 at the same time. that wouldnt be right and it will anoy customers

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Nah, the iPod touch 5 won't get iOS 9. A5 chips (not A5X) will lose support next year, just like A4 was dropped this year. iOS 8 already runs terribly on an iPod 5/4S anyway.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Newest versions of Windows and Android continue to get faster and faster on older hardware. Apple could do the same if they chose too. The technique is the same as it was in the 1950s: Identify bottlenecks and hand code them in Assembly get down and dirty with Machine Code bit by bit if necessary. Poof! Instant 100x speed increase, well except for those doing the hard work. And it is HARD work. Apple chooses not to. They definitely ruin older devices on purpose. They think they sell more hardware that way. They want to sell hardware to make money, Microsoft wants to sell Software to make money. Google wants eyeballs to make money. Three different strategies to make money. I think Apple's strategy is scummiest and certainly most wasteful.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Some of us have just put our money into used devices which doesn't help apple's bottom line any.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
If Apple focuses on increased performance I can see all A5 devices getting iOS 9. The iPod Touch 5 is Apple's premium iPod Touch, and Apple has never dropped support for their premium iPod Touch within the same year of sales. The Touch 4 was not a premium device when it got support dropped and neither was the Touch 2 (8GB). The iPad Mini 1 is still for sale and the iPad 2+3 plus Mini 1 hold the majority of the iPad market share (Something like 60 percent).

The fact that Apple kept around not 1 but 2 A5 devices including one flagship model would tell me that they'll be supported. I'd see them dropping support perhaps if the iPod Touch 5 was the cheap model alongside a new iPod Touch but its not. Also the Apple TV 3 is A5 and it is the latest Apple TV. I don't see it loosing support for a goodly while.

Apple already broke the '3 update max' mould with the iPad 2 with iOS 8 so I don't think its crazy to suggest they could do it again. I truly think it is time for Apple to focus on performance. I've used iPhone 6es and they've lagged and had jittery frames, which should NOT happen on a brand new device. I don't think the problem with slower performance on A5 devices is the A5s themselves, its iOS 8 in general.

Last edited:

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
There have been pages written speculating whether the Touch 5 gets iOS 9 or not. But, from the other end, given Apple's track record, would you want to have iOS 9 from 2015 loaded on hardware from 2011?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
There have been pages written speculating whether the Touch 5 gets iOS 9 or not. But, from the other end, given Apple's track record, would you want to have iOS 9 from 2015 loaded on hardware from 2011?

If iOS 9 is focused on performance, I would not mind at all.

OSX Yosemite runs well enough on 2008 hardware so Apple could do the same thing on iDevice software.

If they release it, it at least gives some the option to update and those who don't want to don't have to update :p

Quaranz

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2014
Deep in the Shadows
Personally i hope the device does get iOS 9. I already have an iPad Air so i wouldn't mind it not getting it but leaving the iTouch would be a huge bummer. To me it seems with every new OS by Apple, the Os gets more hogging and heavy with little to no performance improvements while Windows Phone and Android in general with every new release gets improvements and less hogging then the previous case in point KitKat and its 512 RAM compatibility. Apple should also improve compatibility and increase performance for A5 chip hardware, if they do i dont worry that it wont get iOS 9, but in truth every new iOS update DOES slow down the device, whether it be planned obsolesce or not, Apple should take a bite out of Google and improve system performance for Apple isc low/mid range devices that have the A5 chip. If Android can support 512 with its many features, so can Apple and shame on Apple if it doesn't only for pure greed.

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Personally i hope the device does get iOS 9. I already have an iPad Air so i wouldn't mind it not getting it but leaving the iTouch would be a huge bummer. To me it seems with every new OS by Apple, the Os gets more hogging and heavy with little to no performance improvements while Windows Phone and Android in general with every new release gets improvements and less hogging then the previous case in point KitKat and its 512 RAM compatibility. Apple should also improve compatibility and increase performance for A5 chip hardware, if they do i dont worry that it wont get iOS 9, but in truth every new iOS update DOES slow down the device, whether it be planned obsolesce or not, Apple should take a bite out of Google and improve system performance for Apple isc low/mid range devices that have the A5 chip. If Android can support 512 with its many features, so can Apple and shame on Apple if it doesn't only for pure greed.

I think the same thing. iOS really needs a performance focused update, especially for the iPads. I think its ridiculous that A7 and A8 devices should stutter AT ALL on iOS 8.

Apple should the A5 as the benchmark for decent performance and develop an efficient OS. After all, so many people are still on A5 devices so it would make sense. If a new feature is too resource heavy than leave that off the older devices. I actually have a theory that the iPad Mini and iPod Touch 5 are still sold so that developers do not drop A5 support, while so many are still using A5 devices.

Quaranz

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2014
Deep in the Shadows
I think the same thing. iOS really needs a performance focused update, especially for the iPads. I think its ridiculous that A7 and A8 devices should stutter AT ALL on iOS 8.

Apple should the A5 as the benchmark for decent performance and develop an efficient OS. After all, so many people are still on A5 devices so it would make sense. If a new feature is too resource heavy than leave that off the older devices. I actually have a theory that the iPad Mini and iPod Touch 5 are still sold so that developers do not drop A5 support, while so many are still using A5 devices.

Thats an interesting theory. And yea, A5 chi devices have a chunk of users, especially the iPad 2 and Non Retina iPad Mini. And i know, sometimes even my iPad when it originally got 8.1 after the jailbreak was released has some occasional slowness in opening and loading some apps. Whether is was bad optimization of the app itself or not, tat shouldn't happen! The A7/8 are incredibly powerful chips.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Thats an interesting theory. And yea, A5 chi devices have a chunk of users, especially the iPad 2 and Non Retina iPad Mini. And i know, sometimes even my iPad when it originally got 8.1 after the jailbreak was released has some occasional slowness in opening and loading some apps. Whether is was bad optimization of the app itself or not, tat shouldn't happen! The A7/8 are incredibly powerful chips.

Even the A6 is pretty powerful!

Locayltics have said that there are 27 percent of iPad users on the iPad 2, 20 Percent on the iPad Mini 1 and 17 percent on the iPad 3... Thats a heck of a lot of iPad users on A5 devices!!!

I truly believe that Apple would not have kept two A5 devices around worldwide if they intended to drop support with iOS 9. Perhaps if it was just the iPod Touch 5 as a low end model (AKA the iPod Touch 4 was sold alongside the iPod Touch 5 from 2012 to 2013) then dropping support would be semi understandable.

I see this as a great place to sit for a moment and optimise. Assume all devices have the constraints of the A5 and design iOS9 from there, and leave features that are too demanding off the list.

With regards to my theory, I think the other reason the iPad Mini 1 is still around is to force developers to continue making non retina iPad apps, so that that 47 percent of the iPad Market who are on the iPad 2 and iPad Mini are not left behind.

Quaranz

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2014
Deep in the Shadows
Even the A6 is pretty powerful!

Locayltics have said that there are 27 percent of iPad users on the iPad 2, 20 Percent on the iPad Mini 1 and 17 percent on the iPad 3... Thats a heck of a lot of iPad users on A5 devices!!!

I truly believe that Apple would not have kept two A5 devices around worldwide if they intended to drop support with iOS 9. Perhaps if it was just the iPod Touch 5 as a low end model (AKA the iPod Touch 4 was sold alongside the iPod Touch 5 from 2012 to 2013) then dropping support would be semi understandable.

I see this as a great place to sit for a moment and optimise. Assume all devices have the constraints of the A5 and design iOS9 from there, and leave features that are too demanding off the list.

With regards to my theory, I think the other reason the iPad Mini 1 is still around is to force developers to continue making non retina iPad apps, so that that 47 percent of the iPad Market who are on the iPad 2 and iPad Mini are not left behind.

Another reason that the devices were still being made is simply because of manufacturers that still make the 30 pin dock which i still see plentiful in stores from Walgreens to Walmart

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Apple will discontinue all A5 devices next spring. It would not surprise me if Apple just gives A6+ devices iOS 9.

Apple did this before with the 4th gen iPod touch. They discontinued this A4 device in spring 2013, and did not update it with iOS 7 in fall 2013.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Market demands will keep apps from dropping support from A5, developers don't want to loose 50% of their user base.

The A5 is plenty powerful for the next couple years, it's not like Apple is jumping the graphics of the OS every iteration.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Market demands will keep apps from dropping support from A5, developers don't want to loose 50% of their user base.

The A5 is plenty powerful for the next couple years, it's not like Apple is jumping the graphics of the OS every iteration.

Yes, I agree with you.

I want to point out that if Apple discontinues A5 devices next spring, and if they give A5 devices iOS 9, it'll mark the first time Apple supports a chip they stopped selling. Which would be good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.