Who to buy from?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dave__, Apr 27, 2004.

1. dave__ macrumors newbie

I am finally buying my first mac, 1.5 ghz 15in SD Powerbook :D. Which way is the best to purchase? Through Comp USA, from apple.com, or someone else? Are you still able to have the student discount through Comp USA? Also, I am starting school in the fall can anyone recomend ways to prevent it from getting it stolen?
    Any tips/books on learning Mac X?

2. xeriminox macrumors newbie

xeriminox

Comp USA unfortunately cannot give you the student discount. Only Apple.com or an Apple store can give that deduction. I would certainly purchase mine through apple, or better yet an apple store (less waiting and anticipation). As far as keeping is safe from envious hands while at school, my only advice is to keep it safe and snug in your arms. Your PB is a desirable item, and as such will be eyed by those around you. Don't leave and opportunity for someone to walk away with your baby. As a student, I use an Ogio backpack for my PB. It is descrete while adding protection against common bumps while walking through the clocktower lawn. You may decide to look into something along the lines of a backpack rather than a computer case, won't draw as much attention!!

3. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

I just ordered my new iBook from <www.expercom.com> in Utah...they have been very attentive thus far and offer good deals, even on new macs, plus free shipping! It's worth having a look there, I think.

As for laptop security...I found a good article on security issues at <www.macworld.com> ...I don't have the precise link right now, but if you poke around you'll find it. One of the things they mention is a software company that sells (for about $25, I think) a piece of software that tracks lost/stolen laptops as soon as someone reconnects them to the internet...I'm also probably going to get a cable with an alarm that goes off if the cable is cut (you connect the cable to some stationary object--a table, a heater...) Let me know if you have a hard time finding the article...I can probably find it again, or at least send you links to the different companies selling this stuff...

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Not necessarily true, I was able to "negotiate" a price match for a powerbook about a year ago. Told the manager I was only there to look before I bought from Apple, and he (not me) offered to give me the powerbook at the same price I would have paid with the .edu discount.

Moral of the story, doesn't hurt to ask, you never know.

Either way, I would buy from a brick and mortar, so you can open the box in the store and inspect for dead pixels or other problems in front of an employee.

Welcome aboard the Mac train! You do realize you never have to get off :D

5. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

If you are 18 or older and a student you are elligible for Apple's Student Developer Program. For $99 you get a year of free info and developer related stuff plus a one time hardware discount of 20% on all pro models and 10% on iBooks/eMacs.

For more info on the ADC Student Program follow this link.

To get to the ADC store to check out prices (you won't be able to buy until your membership has proccessed click here and follow the link.

The 15" SD Powerbook is $1999 + $99 for the ADC membership
    Its $2199 with just the student discount.

Plus all BTO options are cheaper and if you get accessories they will be cheaper as well (such as an iPod).

Either way though you still have to pay sales tax AND shipping so that will up the cost a little, if you aren't doing BTO and you don't live in California take a look at MacMall, they offer a free (after rebate) 512 RAM upgrade, free printer and free carrying case. Outside of CA you don't pay sales tax and they might even be able to match the education pricing, its worth a call.

6. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

General Cybernetics www.generalcybernetics.com

They were very nice and helpful. Nice price too for my iMac 1.25Ghz 17 inch.

I got a 160Gb HD, Bluetooth, 1 Gig Ram Wireless mouse and keyboard All for 2,214 dollars. And there is no tax...

At apple its 2,174.00 and about 330 dollars of tax....good deal

If you are interesed email John Mott a sales rep @ john.mott@generalcybernetics.com

Say Ismael sent you..he will treat u good

7. Mac|Photo macrumors member

Like Kingjr3 said above, my CompUSA offered me matching to educational pricing, as well as some of the other deals that were being offered, like discounted software, and a free HP printer (select model) or $99 dollars towards any printer of my choice. They said that they could special order any PB I wanted too, and have it in a day or two, so thats pretty cool.

Does anyone know if the OS X classes that CompUSA has are any good?

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

As good as the banana's in your tar?

9. Mac|Photo macrumors member

CompUSA not worth it?

In another thread I was reading about the new Apple Stores recently up, someone had mentioned "death to CompUSA", but I couldn't really extrapolate any real reasons as to why they had a negative feelings towards this retailer.

Anyone around here know why CompUSA would not be a good source to purchase from (for lack of an Apple Store nearby)?

10. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

i just purchased my new PB from apple and was very pleased. you essentially have to go through apple if you want a student discount or BTO. My BTO PB was ready in three days and was at my door in two via standard shipping all the way from china.

11. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Yea

12. loubapache macrumors member

I had a negative experience dealing with the CompUSA store in Grand Rapids, MI. I live about 65 miles from it so I called in advance to ask if they match Apple's Educational Discount. I was told yes. This was early March, 2004.

I drove down there and wanted either an 12" iBook or PB, whatever they had in stock. I then was told that I had to buy Apple Care to get the Educational price but I did not want Apple Care. The manager came out and the conversation became why I did not want Apple Care, etc. I simply walked out of the store and I have not returned since and will not plan to visit them in my life.

I just lost a few hours and 130 miles.

Interestingly enough, there was an Apple employee in the store on that day (wearing a black polo shirt).

13. vwguy macrumors member

Well, if I were you, I would check out your college's bookstore first. When I was still in college (just last year), the bookstore was selling the iBook and Powerbook at a lower rate than anywhere.... more than the educational discount offered by Apple Online Store. In fact, when I went back to the store last week, I found out these are the latest price....

For Example:

12" iBook G4 1Ghz Combo Drive with Extreme Card = $991 before Tax
    12" Powerbook G4 1.33 Ghz Combo Drive with Extreme Card = $1358 before Tax
    15" Powerbook G4 1.5 Ghz SuperDrive = $2178 before Tax
    17" Powerbook G4 1.5 Ghz SuperDrive = $2309 before Tax

Or know someone who works for apple... employee's discount = 15%

Very TEMPTING..... :)

14. Mac|Photo macrumors member

New CompUSA info...

Just as loubapache had stated (sorry for doubting you *humbly takes a bow*) CompUSA cannot offer edu price matching, I was mistaken. You can take your luck to haggeling a better price, however I went in last eve and talked to them about it in further detail, here is what they said:
    "
    Apple products are pricelocked, meaning that no one besides Apple directly has the authority to change the pricing on them. They said that to compensate for the edu discounts online, they offer AppleCare at 150 dollars reduced, and offer the screen protection at 150 reduced, totaling the 300 dollars that the edu discount on PB and iBooks is. He said that they can change the software, but not the hardware.
    "
    So basically, by spending an extra 300, you save the original 300 edu that you had wanted to save. Its sort of a wash, but you do get the AppleCare and ScreenCare, so you are getting what you pay for (if you wanted those).

Just thought I would post updated info on that store, since it was in question. Sorry for the long post, best of luck buying.

15. papersushi macrumors regular

Dude, just get it directly from Apple. Why the heck do you want to go through all the hassle just for getting the same stuff, its not like you are saving a farm from getting it from others like CompUSA. Sometimes I just don't understand, people are weird.

You have waited for months before you decided to get a computer and what kind of difference does it make to wait for 5 more days to have it shipped to your doorstep and you will also have the options to custom build your computer.

I have seen so many people complaining about unable to upgrade to more harddrive, better video card.

Dude! Get it from Apple.

16. loubapache macrumors member

The advantage is that if you need warranty repair, you can just go to CompUsa.

17. papersushi macrumors regular

Look at AppleCare's how to get your warranty serviced section on Apple's web site. No matter where did you purchase your computer, you can go to any Apple store or authorized service center to have the service. Compusa is one of them and you don't have to purchase the computer from Compusa to get that service.

CompUSA is plain sux from my personal experience anyway. People in there are just mean in Sacramento area and they just don't care.

18. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

19. appleguy macrumors 6502

appleguy

I would of thought the best way for prevent it getting stolen is not to take it to school :p
    There is one thing you can do is hire the biggest guy in the area, give him a machine gun and get him to guard your laptop. that should make people take a second thought about stealing.
    Or what about linking your laptop upto a high voltage system so when it is touched by someone else other than you they get 100,000 volts pumped through their body. :D

20. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

DON'T TAKE A LAPTOP :p

By the end of my freshman year, everyone on my hall that had brought a laptop, had it stolen. Every single one of them!

Some of them only left their room for a few seconds and when they came back, it was gone.

21. Mac2004 macrumors regular

Mac Connection

Get your computer from Mac Connection because it will save you 100's of dollars on sales tax. When you order from Mac Connection or Mac Mall you don't have to pay any sales tax.

22. wudja.cudja macrumors newbie

Hi, do you guys ever look at the Apple Refurb pages..
    huge discounts up to 45% on original sale prices.
    only downside is chip speeds are normally slightly behind current versions.
    but the prices are based on original prices quoted @ apple store when they were current. http://promo.euro.apple.com/promo/refurb/uk/

ive noticed plenty of these being re-sold on ebay and making a profit..
    posting this to cut the middleman out.. :) hopefully a few more units will go to people who want them and not for re-sale @ ebay..

wudja.. . . .. :eek:

23. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

While I'm sorry to hear that I have to let you know that its not a universal thing. In the four years (I'm finally done) that I have lived in the dorms here at the University of Washington only one time have I known someone who's laptop was stolen, and about half the peops with computers have them. You just have to be smart. Don't leave your door unlocked/open if you aren't in the room, and don't leave the laptop alone if you are out in the lounge or library or something.

24. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Someone in another thread had recomended www.safeware.com as an insurance company for computers...against theft, spilling something on it, dropping, and so on... for a $2000 computer it came up for only $64 for me... may be well worth it if it's a big concern of yours.