Who to sell broken macbook to?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mushrooshi, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2007
    This isn't final, I just want a rough idea, but here is the thing:

My macbook is broken. I figured it would be more cost effective to sell it for parts, and then to just buy a new low-end macbook when they are refreshed in October.

But, I don't just want to ebay it.

Call me crazy, I am totally serious, but my macbook was a great friend to me, and I have emotionally bonded with it. When I was on the airplane and there was some pretty rough turbulance, I hugged my macbook and protected it. I am not joking at all.

I would prefer to have my loss be other peoples gain. the best thing I think I could do with my macbook is sell it to a repair site (like iFixit), and have it so all my macbook's good parts can be put in broken macbooks and give them like again. Like donating organs.

I would hate my macbook to be sold to those 'Smash some stuff' kids. I mean, I have been with my macbook, and I don't want it to destroyed by some kids.

This isn't final, I might end up just repairing it myself, but if there are any companies that sell refurb macbooks or sell broken macbook parts that are interested, post a rough price, and I will be considering and talking with my dad about it.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2008
    Warsaw, Poland
    http://www.icolours.ca/ - they're apparently buying broken Apple laptops to make videos instructions, although I've no idea how much they'd pay you.
  3. macrumors 68000

Mar 3, 2006
    It may be easier to repair than you think. What's going on with it?
  4. macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2008
    How did it break from turbulence? Pressure? :S

On the apple website it says the MacBook can only operate up to 10,000 feet, but they offer you on their website an "in-flight MacBook charger". :confused:
  5. macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2005
    Manchester, UK
    Ummm - perhaps they expect you to use that charger on an aeroplane, where air pressure is pretty much constant, rather than 1/3 of the way up Mount Everest, where it will be substantially less than 1 atmosphere. Just a thought. :)
  6. thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2007
    Techound: I know it is easy, but I find it is a better value for me to just sell it off and buy one of the new 'books.

Power, Matthew: It didn't break from turbulence, lol, that was an unrelated story.

The logic board just crapped out for some reason.
  7. macrumors regular

Sep 20, 2008
    u can't fix it under warranty? macbooks aren't THAT old....

or do u just prefer to buy a new one when they come out?
  8. macrumors 65816

Jan 30, 2008
  9. macrumors regular

Jan 18, 2008

Maybe because the avg cabin pressure in an airliner cabin is around 4500' at cruise and not 10,000'. Something about pressurization.
  10. macrumors newbie

Apr 11, 2010
  11. macrumors newbie

Jul 15, 2010
    Broken Macbook pro

I dropped my Macbook Pro and the hard drive failed. Ot is less than 2 years old. I had to replace it yesterday and am looking to sell the old one for some $$$. The recycling program from Mac offered me $0.00. Anyone know where to sell this computer off for parts? Everything else is in perfect condition, including screen, frame and battery.
    Anyone know where to go? I am in NYC.
  12. macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2011
    Airborn had the right idea, but this site gives you an instant quote: sellmymacnow.com.

There aren't a lot of options for selling broken macbooks. Personally, I'd take the easy way out and sell it to a service like the one mentioned above, but you will get more money parting it out and selling the working/not damaged parts individually.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.