Who uses 60GB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sammyman, Mar 28, 2005.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

Is the 60GB ipod photo worth the extra money? My computers hard drive is only 80GB! I can't imagine needing more than 30GB or so... Any advice?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Do you plan on storing any images on it?

I store thumbnails plus the full size image on mine = 20GB.

Music = 10GB

Both my music collection and photo collection get bigger everyday. I guess that's the question you need to answer.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

depends upon your own music and photo collection as iGary says

i have 19gigs of music right now, i would prefer it to be in lossless so a 60gig ipod would be perfect for me so i could have my music in that format as well, not to mention my collection is going to just keep growing and growing over time

4. gallivant macrumors member

Mine's mostly at 160/192, with a hefty population of 128. I've already used up 31 gigs of my 40-gig iPod, about 20 gigs of which I added just in the past 10 months. I expect to start needing an upgrade in another eight months or so; hopefully by then an 80 will be available. 60 just isn't enough of a boost to rationalize $300-400.

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Just upgraded from a 10gig, re-ripped from 160 AAC to 320 AAC= 16gig, 10 gigs of photos (thumbs and originals) and around 20gig of active audio and video backups from projects and students work that used to live on an old laCie 20gig portable...

Still got about 15gigs left, and I've got an album mix archiving next week which will free up around 5gig.

Oh yes, 60gigs is just fine, in fact, I'm waiting for the 120gig iPod. :D

6. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can see your point. I still think a 30GB would be plenty for me. Even if I put every song I have on my ipod, 30gb would be plenty. And I am planning to use the photo part for just temporary storage. Then I will transfer the files to DVD when I have enough. It is a tough decision... the 30Gb

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

It was made easier for me with the education discount from the University I work at, we get a discount below the usual educational store price because we're part of a buying consortium of Southern UK Unis.

The 60gig came out only a few £££'s more expensive. :D

It's a tough choice, but you can never have enough storage.

Or shoes apparently.

8. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

You can never have enough storage is correct. I started with the original iPod (5 GB) and outgrew that overnight and bought a 40 GB 3rd gen. I've ripped all my CDs at 256+ mp3 as well as most of my LP records to total a whopping 228 GB of music! You may not think you need the extra space now but look towards the future. If it's in your budget get as much storage as you can.

9. Beck446 macrumors regular

Plus.. Home on iPod is coming.

10. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

everyone!! lol. I'm only at 25gb on my 40gb iPod right now but I could certanly see myself needing 60 in a year or so.