Who Uses Sherlock?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sweener88, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Sweener88 macrumors 6502

Sweener88

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

3. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Haven't used Sherlock since OS 8.6 was out years ago. If I need something I Google it.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

At this point, it's mostly good for the translation tool, because the widget version is so poor.

5. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

6. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I didn't realize Sherlock was included with Tiger. lol, never used it since 1999.

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ya, Google + it's customizable homepage + Dashboard makes Sherlock pretty obsolete. I wouldn't be surprised if there are 0 changes to it in Leopard and it was only included because it doesn't cost anything to do so (and keeps the few people who use it happy).

8. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Oddly enough, I had Sherlock open five minutes ago for the first time in about two years. Just because I spotted it in my Applications folder, and just to see if there was anything I'm missing.

Nope.

The AppleCare search plug-in was okay, I guess, and might come in handy someday. But everything else has been pretty much surpassed. Then again, it never came close to Watson, so it was outdated in its time.

The Sherlock developer page is still up, but the page under the Jaguar features is gone.

9. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i used it once to see movie times. the layout was nicer and it was easy to navigate. but i don't go to the movies that much and when i do it's just as easy to look in the paper or go to Yahoo! movies.

as was said earlier, it is obsolete now that we have Dashboard and people are more Internet-savvy.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Wow, Sherlock is still there.

EDIT: Playing with it for a few minutes, you know, this is actually pretty handy for searching eBay.

EDIT #2: And AppleCare

11. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

I really, really wish a Dashboard widget would come around and replicate the movie listings functionality of Sherlock (or Watson, for that matter). All the movie widgets totally suck, unless I'm just not finding the good one out there.

12. Josephkyles macrumors regular

13. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a