Who uses SilveKeeper?What free backup apps are there?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by john_satc, May 8, 2005.

1. john_satc macrumors 6502

I tried using Silverkeeper which came on a disk with my lacie drive, but once backd up, my iBook wouldn't boot from it.
    Today I tried backing up again, and the app crashed 4 times (as in spinning ball for ages and no option to do anything else in the app). Then when I finally got it to back up, I just got error messages.

What backup apps are there that are free and acually work 'cos so far it doesnt look good for me.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I use SuperDuper! which so far has been very reliable. To use its basic 'backup' your entire HD mode, it's free to use.

If you want to do incremental backups (quicker) or to use their Safety Clones (which basically allow you to install new software or system upgrade but rollback if you need to while keeping any documents you've worked on updated), you can pay $19.95 - and it's well worth it.

3. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

If you are running Tiger, the CD which came with LaCie drive may not work. LaCie posted a newer version of SilverKeeper (1.1.3) for Tiger.

4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've seen a few reports that CCC hasn't been playing nicely with Tiger and can lock up after asking for your admin password. In Panther, it was excellent.

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I've got the new Silverkeeper but its not working properly.

I uninstalled my old version, repaired my preferences and created a new folder for my Tiger backup on my 250gig LaCie but its acting very strange.

Its slow for one. But it also keeps going after its moved the whole HDD across...or at least thats what the counter says. 52 gig is recorded as 80 + gig and still copying...

Weird.

7. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

I had problems making a drive bootable with CCC and then I tried SuperDuper! and I couldn't be more satisfied.