who uses the internet via their cellular service?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by slipper, Dec 2, 2003.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

who here uses the internet via their cellular subscriber and bluetooth? i called tmobile today and the rep said the speeds range anywhere from 56k to T1 speeds. for those who use this service or similar services what do you think about it. can the bluetooth feature handle data transfer at T1 speeds?

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I don't use bluetooth for internet, but I can tell you it cannot handle T1 speeds. You'll probably only see around 150 kb/s on cell networks anyways, so don't worry about it.

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Never with bluetooth, but I've gone online with my cell phone--nice speedy 9600 connection like we used to have back in '94.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Bluetooth will be too slow for 150kb/sec. However, if you do have bluetooth on your phone, it wouldnt be painful to use. Most of the time, you will never notice it for loading web pages and such, but for downloading a file, the bluetooth will be about 4 times slower than a data cable would be.

5. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    if you do a search, this has been discussed before. people were seeing single digit kbps, i.e. 4kbps. never will you be getting 150kbps.

6. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    here is the link.

scroll down a ways and you can see people's reported speeds. they were slower than dialup.

7. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I use my LG VX4400 on Verizon with 1xRTT service for data on my laptop. They say it peaks at 144Kbps, but I find that it's generally around 60-80. I can't wait until EV-DO hits my market, though. 500Kbps on my phone. :D It's already in San Diego and Washington, DC.

8. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

well everybody seems to be telling me different stories about DL speeds. everybody that i spoke to in person says its a little faster than dial up but no faster than that. then theres the link which says its 3-4kb/sec which is ridiculously slow. and theres other people on the forum saying its around 60-80kb/sec.

forget bluetooth, im just gonna get a data cable and try for myself

9. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

hey guys... i work for sprint pcs and ive used my phone on the data network as well as a modem on my powerbook... the theoretical speeds are supposed to be 144, but as a rule 60-80 is about right... sure its no cable modem, but in a pinch without a hotspot you cant beat it...

10. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Currently BT can handle a maximum of 723.2 kbps. BT 2.0 would increase that. The limited speed that people see in the downloads deals more with the carrier and the technology that they are using then with BT.

11. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I use the internet on my sprint phone. I usually just check scores from a game when i'm not around a tv during game time. It's not fast, but it works just fine.

12. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

It's probably because you're not taking into account the conversion between kilobits and kilobytes.

When you hear "56k" modem, they're talking about 56Kb (kilobits). But when you use it on you're computer, you see a download rate in KB, kilobytes, making the actual download speed of a 56Kb modem, 7KB.

13. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

ahhhh now i understand, so indeed wireless is similar to dialup, just a little bit faster.
    <<<<computer noob