Who want a Photshop killer version of Aperture?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wes Jordan, Feb 8, 2006.

?

Would you buy Aperture if it had more in-depth photo editing tools?

1. Yes, I would appreciate these changes to Aperture

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No, I would rather continue to use Photoshop for my photo-editing needs

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. I have no need for either program to edit my photos

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Wes Jordan macrumors regular

I think that Apple could get a decent share of photographer's software if Aperture incorporated layers, filters, clone-stamp, and other common tools into Photoshop. I would love to have an Apple Pro Photo Editing Program, especially because Apple could release a UB Version and get sales simply because it will run better on Intel Macs rather than Photoshop. I almost think that the point of this version of Aperture was to get into the market with a product that didn't conflict with another, mainly Photoshop, but instead filled a gap. Now that Adobe has release Lightroom to compete with Apple's program, Apple is clear to compete with Adobe's Photoshop. All bets are off and Apple is clear to make Aperture the program it should be! I love the layout of Aperture and the ideas behind it, as well as the integration that it offers with the metatag data and incorporating storage, protecting originals, etc.

And of course pricing, I don't want to make more than $100 more than the current version;).

Thoughts anyone? Am I alone in wanting this?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That was the point. Apple can't compete with Adobe Photoshop. It's been around too long is fairly refined. Getting people to switch a program they've been using for a long time is very hard. Plus having almost identical versions of PS for both Windows and OS X is a huge plus.

3. nutmac macrumors 68030

Instead of thinking about turning Aperture into "Photoshop" killer, Apple should focus on making it the best workflow/digital asset management software. Which, while Aperture takes on a fresher approach, it is not. I think the potential is high though.

Besides, too many photographers are used to Photoshop... much like Microsoft Word's foothold on corporate word processing market.