Who wants redesigned Mac-tel notebooks?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by calyxman, Jun 9, 2005.

1. calyxman macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    I personally would love to see a minor revision to the look of the iBook. Keep the polycarbonate casing but make it black instead of white, and change the color of the Apple backlight to graphite or aqua light blue. That would be wicked!

I'd also like to see a 15" iBook and, once and for all, a screen resolution greater than 1024x768 (come on Apple, this is 2005 :rolleyes: ).

As for the Powerbooks, I don't mind the design as it fits the professional design scheme. Maybe offer that in black too. :p

What's your thoughts?
  2. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Dec 23, 2004
    Charleston, IL
    Personally I think that sounds ugly but that's just my opinion... it might look better in person rather than trying to visualize it. I think they should have alternate colors in their iBook line just for variety. Personally I'm fine with the white... I just think it looks classy and sleak.
  3. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    I know they'll have to redesign but I love the current iBook and PowerBook form factor. I think they're beautiful and struggle to think how they can make it look better...but I do say that about every Apple design and have yet to be disappointed! :p
  4. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    Black carbon fiber (lightweight/tough as nails) casing standard with a BTO "your choice" color option. And please round that front edge off already - the crease in my forearms is nearly permanent.
  5. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    I'd be more likely to buy a PowerBook than an iBook if they made PowerBooks out of carbon fiber. As it is, an iBook looks more durable, and durability is big for me.
  6. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Wouldn't changing the backlight color change the color of the on-screen display as well? That's how you get the "brightness", right?
  7. calyxman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    Well, you're not really changing the color of the light, your just placing a different colored shield over the apple logo instead of the standard white shield.

Check out this page. You can see on the red iBook the way they modded the apple logo. They also changed the ghost light to glow red. Pretty neat.

I believe someone also posted a link to one user who created a rainbow colored apple logo on the back of their display.
  8. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    I'd like to see some new Apple notebooks in black, similar to Sony's X505 laptop. If done correctly, black can be VERY attractive.
  9. everybodylikepi macrumors member

Mar 12, 2005
    Go to colorwarepc.com
    You can get the current mac notebooks in color for just $400! No wonder I havent seen any colored powerbooks around. Looks cool on the site though, but I think Apple loyalists feel that they pay enough as it is.

As for the next revisions of the 'books, I think colors would be a great option. Or would the originality of different colors, and perhaps bright colors, destroy Apple's minimalist designs?

I have no ties to colorwarepc
  10. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

Jan 7, 2005
    Sounds scary to me! But Steve already did black computers: NExT. Plus, you know how dirty they would look after a week in a normal office? Black shows ALL dust and dirt much more than white or other colors.

How about beige! :D
  11. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    Actually, my experience is that white shows dirt a lot more, but because it does, one is more rigorous in cleaning it, while people think that black keyboards don't show dirt and so are happy to leave them dirty. But I would like to see a return to black. Man, those Pismos looked good, and I still think they do.
  12. mac-er macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    Just don't touch the Powerbooks!

Black would be too much like PC notebooks.
  13. calyxman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
  14. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

Jan 7, 2005
    Yes, I guess black and white both show dirt more than, say, periwinkle. As black is Steve Jobs' favorite wardrobe color, I wouldn't be surprised to see new Macs in black.

Right now, white is the new pink which was the new black. And everyting happens in cycles, so, maybe you're right that Black will be Back!
  15. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

Jan 7, 2005
    LOL!!! I'm not sure I'd like a computer that requires waxing and buffing on a regular basis. But the lemon-scented Pledge would make it smell nice. :D
  16. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2003
    There were black apple laptops

The pismo and wallstreet, etc. were black. I like black personally but I love the Al PB I have now. Just wish they would change the material to something that won't scratch or get dinged up so easily.....

17. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    i love the design of the iBook/PBooks. . . . they are simple and functional. no extra pieces of plastic stuck on for 'style' no weird lines on them for style either. i personally dont think a notebook design can get any better. i think a color, or finish change might be good. or maybe the ability to change the color of the apples (check out my avtar or my website leaveapenny.net for examples) maybe they could make the next generation thinner. like the bottom would be just as thick as the top or monitor half. that would be cool!!! whatever the next design is, i hope it doesnt change to much. carbon fiber (bare finish) would be cool!!
  18. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    I love the look of my white iBook. I was just thinking about that yesterday. It's just cool looking, durable, and cleans easily.

The limit on the screen resolution drives me nuts! Def need to move that up a notch.

The white color is unique, keep it.

It is a tad heavy!

A nice revision would give me a chance to buy a new one and give this one to my daughter.
  19. calyxman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    Here's some pretty designs...

Not a big fan of pink but this is sharp..

20. nagromme macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Just as long as:

a) They keep aluminum. It's been INCREDIBLY durable through all my abuse! Beats anything I've owned.

b) They don't MAKE you buy eye-burning high-DPI screens. It's a fine option, but for most people it "sounds good on paper" but actually reduces usability. With OS X / Exposé, screen pixel space isn't at a premium the way it is with Windows--so don't make me squint at tiny pixels/icons/menus!

Not until the UI is fully res-independent. (Tiger has this hidden under the hood... ready for Leopard!)

(And my 15" PB is 1280x854 :) I wouldn't want to cram any more pixels in there--not for hours of long use. Make it an option.)
  21. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    Keep the PB the same or chage it slightly to make it more durable

Have the iBooks in color! I think that would be awsome to see again and still have a "snow" colored iBook.
  22. abrooks macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2004
    London, UK
    Wow they are incredibly disgusting :eek:
  23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Or we may get a pink one. :p

Yeah, seriously, now I really appreciate the white.

I'd like the Powerbook line to change as well, but I really can't imagine them using black. It wouldn't look as nice and distinctive as the current Powerbook if they did that. Black laptops are everywhere. Does Apple need to make a black one because it looks nice? Everyone else is making a black one, and a lot of them look nice already. The Powerbook is distinctively Apple right now.
  24. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    I Think iBooks would look really cool if they also made them in black. The contrast between the black case and the glowing white apple would neat.

Powerbooks should stay silver but black would not be that bad.
  25. keysersoze macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Maybe anodized aluminum for the iBooks.... like the iPod Mini. Maybe 2 or 3 colors to choose from. I agree that the aluminum looks really nice. The only problem I've heard of is the warping issues. But the look has always been my favorite of any laptop.