who was deep throat?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jefhatfield, Feb 10, 2005.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

we know, according to the washington post, that he is male, smokes, and drinks whiskey

he may have recently died or is about to die...ben bradlee, news chief of the story at the washington post at the time, has already written deep throat's obituary

a search on google has shown george hw bush, bob dole, and fred la rue (recently deceased) to be major candidates

former president gerald ford has been suspected, also presidential speechwriter pat buchannan, presidential aide ben stein, former secretary of state henry kissinger, and even former white house chief of staff alexander haig

who do you think leaked the vital information to reporter bob woodward of the washington post which led to the downfall of president richard nixon?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I don't think it was Ben Stein. "Nixon? Nixon? Nixon? Nixon?" "Oh, he's dead." "Thank you, Simone... Bush? Bush? Bush?" :)

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

and also, do you think deep throat could have been a conglomeration of sources and thus more than one person?

4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

we know ben stein today to be a funny comedian, but at the time he was a fiery and passionate believer in nixon...he was there when nixon announced his resignation

stein, while not as powerful as nixon's haldeman and erlichman, possibly still had enough access and information into nixon's unpatriotic activities...a true gop follower would either have to follow the priciples of their party, and the constitution, or follow a criminal who happened to be a republican and the sitting president

nixon's activities in the early 70s eventually became too detrimental for the gop and for the office of the president...smart republicans eventually started jumping off the nixon bandwagon when they realized the gravity of his crimes against america

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No, I know... Ben Stein is also actually a very nice guy in real life. His old column on E! Online (the one about his visits to Morton's) was really good.

I also don't believe that Deep Throat is any sort of amalgam of different people... I wouldn't be surprised if it was Kissinger, who has always struck me as an idealogue who'd do whatever he felt was right regardless of who it might hurt, or Haig, who'd do whatever he felt would help elevate his status (e.g., his near-coup when Reagan was shot).

6. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

kissinger didn't go to jail and he kept his job in the later ford administration so he is a candidate who i think is certainly plausible...i wonder how the health of kissinger is?

haig, while nixon's second term chief of staff, was not around during nixon's dubious watergate activities and beginning of the coverup of watergate which happened during nixon's first term...the illegal slush fund nixon used for his activities also was used extensively in nixon's first term

7. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Alexander Butterfield. I always thought his causal dropping of the information about the tapes showed he had a different agenda or a least he was principled enough to refuse to lie.

8. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

I always thought of it as a 60/70ish p0rn movie....

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Deep Throat was a character on The X Files....

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Which only goes to show that once the person behind the alias is revealed, hardly anyone will remember why it was important.

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

God, I feel old reading this thread, IJ!

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

anyone in their late 30s or older should at least somewhat remember those times...watergate, patty hearst, the end of the vietnam war, and gasp, disco ;)

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

These days I feel old even when I'm not reading this thread. But it will pass.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It will become feeling even older, I'm afraid. But that will pass, too. :)

15. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

some tabloids are running stories as of today that kissinger has been ID'd...of course...its the tabloids.