Who was your best school teacher?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Which teacher in school made the most difference in your life? Which one took you under his or her wing, got you through a difficult period, challenged you, inspired you, enlightened you, or otherwise most affected you in a positive way?

And have you ever thanked him or her?
  2. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey, good question, Doctor Q!

For me, it was Mr. A., 11th grade math teacher, for two reasons:

(1) He was the nicest teacher I ever knew and he cared about all his students. Somehow, he never got mad or raised his voice but always had a perfectly calm class (with the same kids that other teachers thought they had to yell at). I liked math, but even those who didn't like math liked Mr. A. for that reason.

(2) He introduced me to computer programming and taught me my first lessons. Over the next summer, he invited me to his home many times to learn more using his home dialup connection. That was the start of my career path in computers.

Yes, I thanked him. Mr. A. retired a few years ago and I have visited him several times in the city where he now lives.
  3. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    i guess one of my language teachers in high school. she was very encouraging and had a nice sense of humor. i have told her that...

definitelly not any teacher of physical education, they normally bitched on me for being skinny ... or the autocad teacher, he used to believe he was a god or something ... laughing behind the shoulders of the students "omg how stupid you are" ... that wasn't very pleasure. :rolleyes:
  4. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    Re: Who was your best school teacher?

hmm diff teachers for diff categories

under the wing: Ms Nielsen for 6th grade, she always believed in me

inspired me: spanish II teacher sra. richards, very creative and just a great teacher

challeneged: my social studies teacher ms. hubbard, i used to have the most debates as me being a conservative and her a typically-liberal person.

effect in positive way: prolly sra richards, just one of the bets teacher, a teacher who made coming to the class fun.
  5. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    I can honestly say I never had any great school teachers, other than the obvious basics everything I know now and take an interest in I learnt outside of school.
  6. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    Well for me it's Ms.Jones for Algebra. Since the Oakland public schools arent the best things algebra was hard for me. She pushed and pushes me, I got pissed at her and she made me learn math the hard way. she got me through and now i know algebra pretty good:D
  7. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My kindergarten teacher was really nice, but then again, weren't all kindergarten teachers nice too?

One of my best and coolest teachers was Mrs. Barrett, my 10th grade english and history teacher (there were supposed to be two teachers, but they couldn't find another teacher certified in part of the class, so Mrs. Barrett, with degrees in both english in history taught it.) She was an awesome teacher. She was very intelligent, she knew how to teach, and she opened up projects to creativity. That's how some of my first computer projects were made. I did two of them that year, one on the ancient olympics, and one on A Midsummer's Night Dream by Shakespeare (we did the whole play with a very abbreviated script, using the voices on my Mac as the voices of the characters...) It was very cool, except now I can't find the file :( Maybe she has it...)

My spanish 3 teacher, Mrs. Martinez (formerly Ost) is also a good teacher. She is very kind in helping students understand and grasp the concept of a foreign language...

Another good teacher, in a get-the-point-across kind of way, was Mr. Ramizez, my pre-calculus and calculus teacher. He is not a very personal teacher, but his teaching method makes the hardest problems seem simple, if you pay attention. He can be kind of a weird guy if you don't know him well. Once you get to know him, he's pretty cool...
  8. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    The teacher that most affected my life was my 12th grade Religion teacher Dr. Bollich. I went to a private Catholic High School. I really didn't fit in with the rich slacker majority. Dr. Bollich didn't pamper anyone. He made girls cry in class at least 3 times during the year. He referred to all of us as student. If you ever talked back to him you were done for. Every once in a while he would drag a cocky Junior who was breaking some rule and just bait him to talk back. Then he would shut him down in front of the class of Seniors. He had weird quirks that fired the imagination. (He never turned his head at the neck. Rumor has it that he is a Navy Golden Gloves and he has neck problems. He always drank something out of a cup, and he kept it covered with a card. No definite rumor on what was in the cup.)

What was interesting was that this was all an act. He was trying to prepare us for the uncensored real world. He based his teaching style off of some teacher in a movie he saw. I got to know his daughter and she said he is nothing like his teacher persona. (Although he perpetuates the belief that he is a loon by keeping a gas station hat in the trunk of his car on the off chance that one of his students is pumping gas next to him. Then he whips out the hat and services his car like gas station attendent. (Even makes dinging noises while he pumps the gas.))

I dreaded having to take his class, and he made sure that every Senior had to take his class, but after the class he is the teacher that I think about the most. You had to be prepared for his class or he belittled you. You had to follow the rules or he shut you down. But at the same time he taught us an uncensored view of all religions including our own. He challenged us to question all fact and seek out the truth. I am sure that some people missed the lesson and just remembered the hard ass, but I am sure that more than a few of his students were prepared for the real world because of him.

And then my Kindergarten teacher was awesome too, but like y'all said, "Weren't all kindergarten teachers nice?"
  9. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    My favorite teacher in the last 5 years is my Algebra I H teacher
    from freshman year, Mr. Adam. He was a great teacher, and
    fun. My all time favorite school teacher is Ms. Horn from 4th
    grade. She was so nice, and such a good teacher. I learned
    a lot from her. :)
  10. lmalave macrumors 68000

Nov 8, 2002
    Chinatown NYC
    I'd have to go back to Mr. Walters, my 5th grade teacher. He made my (twin) brother and I feel smart and special and really took us under his wing. That self confidence is so important and it's what got me through middle school and high school that followed, where I didn't get nearly as much support.
  11. voicegy macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Mr. Anderson, my 12th Grade math / computer science teacher.

Now, this was back in 1976, but we had a computer terminal in a classroom that hooked up to the mainframe computer at the school district via an "acustocoupler", which was a device that you smashed the handset of a telephone into so it could communicate over telephone wires.

It was a "teletype" device, totally mechanical, and typed across a roll of paper in herky jerky movements. One day I walked into the "computer room" and saw this thing in the corner TYPING STUFF ALL BY ITSELF! I was enchanted, hooked, and enthralled.

He saw the gleam in my eye, and gave me carte blanche access to it, and a private password. I spent endless hours with it, to the detrament of my other classes, but back in the 70's you could graduate High School just by proving you could fog a mirror. He never asked me any questions...just let me play to my hearts' content.

All these years later, I made it a point to go back to that teacher to tell him I was now working in the Information Technology Department of that same school district, and I let him know that in no small way that his liberal treatment of me made that possible.

Kudos to those teachers who see the acorns in their students and care for, feed and water those seeds.:)
  12. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Hmm, i have to say Mr. Mullen, my calculus teacher. the man is hilarious, and a great motivator. he never gives kids a hard time, treats us all like adults. he recommends homework occasionally, but leaves studying entirely up to students. best of all, you can ace the class and do fabulous on the AP entirely by studying your class notes. he explains everything perfectly; it's inexplicable. he just has that great presence. plus he let's us eat in class and listen to headphone music during the lecture... never makes you answer in class... but somehow i make high Bs and low As, and best of all i enjoy it--that coming from someone who hated math after precal.

i can answer for übergeek too: ehhhh, all teachers are evil mac hating bastards who want to make my life a living hell!
  13. Perceptes macrumors member

Mar 24, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Too lazy to give long descriptions so here is a list and some short reasons why I liked them:

Mrs. Ogawa: As stated above, is a kindergarden teacher ever bad?

Ms. Masuoka: I had a crush on her.

Mr. Smolin: He was a lot of fun and related to the kids a lot better than most teachers. Very cool guy in and out of school.

Mr. Peterson/Mr. Bruning: Nice, helpful, supportive guys in the electronic music biz. Need I say more?

Mr. De La Rosa: As much as I hate to admit it, he pushed me and the rest of the class and influenced my way of thinking for some time.

Prof. Massey: He was very inspiring and I admire him a lot for his beliefs and the way he seems to live his life. More of a role model than any other teacher I've had.

Dr. Carlson: Nice and helpful music teacher.

Dr. Goodman: Nice, supportive, intelligent, funny, great personality in general. Just can't say enough good things.

My dad: Without him, I would not be the computer geek I love being today. I would not know how to use a message board or a web browser or connect to the Internet or use a computer or even have a computer!

After all, that did end up being kind of long. Oh well. :)
  14. celaurie macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2003
    Edinburgh, Scotland.

The man that introduced me to the Mac ~ David Nale! Oh, what a glorious man!

Chris, the grateful!
  15. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    mr. rabbitt... high school history...

not because i learned a great deal in his class or because he didn't stand me up for a date to see amadeus together... but because when i got called out at a basketball game by some jocks... he came out and saved me from being killed. :)
  16. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Ms. LaBella, my Biology teacher. She taught anything just as it should be taught. It felt like being in a small, college classroom with 40 minute lectures. I say small because my class of less than 15 students learned new material in one small, cluttered lab/classroom.

Mr. Fallon, my Geometry, Honors Math Analysis and (currently) AP Calculus AB teacher. Yes, he expects quality, but he can adopt both a comical plotline and a reinforced strictness with misbehaving students.
  17. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

Jan 5, 2003
    I would say that so far, my favorite teacher was my 6th grade teacher. I really liked her. She was kind of a computer geek, too. :D
  18. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Jan 3, 2002
    San Destin Florida
    Easy. My second grade teacher, Mrs. Pilcher. She was awesome. I really did love that lady. I contacted her about 8 years ago, and she was still teaching. She got married during the year when I was in her class, and I was devistated.

Oh, well. She was my favorite teacher growing up.

In college, Dr. Snow. He had more political experience than anyone I have ever met. Wonderful man, and wonderfully intelligent.
  19. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    This is an easy one.... in High School it was my Design And Communication teacher Mr Kerr ;) :)

He introduced me to the world of Design, and was ultra cool in the way he encouraged me...

If it wasn't for him, god only knows what I'd be doing now...

I've had alot of great teachers though, all all of them have had some kind of impact and influence on my life and how I go about living and experiencing it...
  20. irmongoose macrumors 68030

Dec 3, 2001
    Sometimes Tokyo, sometimes California
    My elementary computer teacher, Robert Martens. Although I had always used a Mac, he introduced me to the real Mac world, and of couse, I got hooked. He's also the one that introduced me to Macrumors!

But, most importantly, he introduced me to the world of films, and I am now working hard to become a director.

He basically introduced me to everything I have come to love!

I still go to his lab every Friday, sometimes more often... I'll be sure to thank him before I graduate... and it'll be a BIG thanks.