Who (which macs) should order Tiger?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nichos, Apr 12, 2005.

1. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

Hi all - I must say, tiger looks really cool! I've heard in the past upgrading from say Jaquar to Panther increased the speed of the machine, but is this os made mainly for G5's? That is, will my machine run better, or worse if I upgraded (see sig. for machine). Thanks guys!
    Nick

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yep, you should see a significant speed increase. You've got plenty of RAM, so that's the main thing.

Edit: I should add that I'm not sure I'm going to upgrade. I've got 5 computers:
    an iBook G4 with 768 MB RAM (would see a big improvement here)
    Wife's PBG5 with 512 MB RAM (ditto, I'm pretty sure)
    2 cubes with 256 MB RAM (Not so sure about these)
    An original clamshell iBook with 192 MB RAM running Panther (Does not meet minimum Tiger requirements; the question here is will it play nice with the other computers running Tiger. I mainly use it as a "remote control" for iTunes)

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I was wondering something along the same lines. The coreimage page within the Tiger pages on Apple's site has a compatibility list again, and it doesn't list the 9200 in the iBook, but it's a very short list, and it says that compatible cards "include...." I hope Apple puts out more detailed info soon about this, since they're still selling computers with this video card.

4. VAmin macrumors member

Same question here. I'm on a 500mhz G3 iMac with 1GB ram, 8mb video memory. Will I see a performance increase over panther?

5. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Don't expect to see the 9200 on that list. It's a generation behind cards like the 5200 and the 9600 and probably doesn't have the tech required for full Core Image support.

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I'll wait until I see some others try it on their iBooks and check out if any problems come up. I'd like to upgrade but it's to early to tell :rolleyes:

7. nichos thread starter macrumors 6502

nichos

Exactly what I think I'm going to do now. Though, with all these cool features, I don't know if I will be able to hold out! Maybe I'll install it on my work machine. Thanks for all the advice guys!

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i would say definitely upgrade if your machine meets the min requirements for Tiger.

and just because it doesn't list the 9200 on the CoreImage page doesn't mean that Tiger won't work for you. just that some of the CoreImage functions won't be working at their full potential, but Tiger will still speed up your Mac i'm sure.