Who will buy?

Discussion in 'Macworld San Francisco 2008' started by thesdx, Jan 9, 2008.

?

Who wants to buy the Ultra-Portable?

  1. Yes, the minute it's available!

    30 vote(s)
    18.0%
  2. Not immediately, but I will eventually.

    24 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. Ehhh...Maybe. Lemme see the specs first.

    47 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. No, probably not

    62 vote(s)
    37.1%
  5. Not sure yet

    4 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. macrumors 6502a

    thesdx

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2007
    Location:
    On the wall behind a Stopper II
    #1
    So, who wants to buy the Ultra-Portable? I will, as soon as I sell my Compaq and muster up an extra $500.
     
  2. macrumors 68030

    Drumjim85

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2007
    Location:
    DFW, TX
    #2
    whats the rumored price point?
     
  3. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2006
    Location:
    Virginia
    #3
    I'll be buying it immediately. Tired of lugging the 17 around for a year.

    Unless there is an ultra-portable and a 13" MBP, then it will take time to make a decision.
     
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

    thesdx

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2007
    Location:
    On the wall behind a Stopper II
    #4
    CNBC says it will start at $1500.
     
  5. macrumors G5

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #5
    I won't buy one. I'm looking at a MBP and waiting to see if there is an update.
     
  6. macrumors 68000

    waterskier2007

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    White Lake, MI
    #6
    i hate how everyone is speculating this ultra portable thing... there is no concrete evidence that i have seen. i remember when people got word of a so called ipod hifi, and then everyone made speculations and drawings about this thing and it ended up being speakers.
     
  7. macrumors 65816

    bacaramac

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2007
    #7
    Don't care either way, but if they do release something like they had on Flickr, count me in.
     
  8. macrumors 6502

    CJRhoades

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2007
    Location:
    Lafayette, IN
    #8
    If the specs are good, I'll buy... I need something smaller then my 15.4" powerbook.
     
  9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

    thesdx

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2007
    Location:
    On the wall behind a Stopper II
    #9
    My main concern is NAND flash capacity. I hope it at least has 64GB.
     
  10. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2002
    #10
    I wouldn't describe 12" as "ultra-portable" (rumors have all been for 12" or 13")

    However, dropping the optical drive, moving to a 12" screen, and adopting an aluminum case could save a couple of pounds over the current Macbook (down to somewhere between 3 and 3.5 lb.)
     
  11. macrumors 65816

    bacaramac

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2007
    #11
    When I think Ultra Portable, I think of the following:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/macbooktouch/
     
  12. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

    MRU

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2005
    Location:
    Ireland
    #12
    Mee too, but NAND is so expensive I fear it will either have a combination of 32GB+8GB NAND - giving us a 40GB HDD which sounds better than 32GB, or if it does have 64GB it will be way above the rumored $1599 price point.
     
  13. macrumors 603

    mrkramer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #13
    I will wait until I have the money which also will probably be Rev. B.
     
  14. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2006
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #14
    I'll most likely say "whoa, nice" when I see the keynote, then see the price and go "hrmm... well I don't really *need* it anyway", then spend the next few days discussing all the problems with the new device, then see it at the Apple store, then spend the next few days furiously rearranging my finances to buy one.
     
  15. jnc
    macrumors 68020

    jnc

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    Location:
    Nunya, Business TX
    #15
    Ready to book a flight to New York if they're selling immediately and pick two or three up :p
     
  16. macrumors member

    applemacman

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2007
    Location:
    Dallas, Tx.
    #16
    You just described me almost exactly

    I welcome apple events with excitement/fear...excitement to see all the new things apple is doing and fear that I will want to buy each and ever one of them
     
  17. macrumors 6502a

    theLimit

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2007
    Location:
    up tha holler, acrost tha crick
    #17
    I'm actually looking forward to a 15" MBP update, but if an ultraportable is released and actually has the specs to meet my needs I may reconsider. I'll just wait and see since I won't be able to afford anything until the middle of next month anyway.
     
  18. macrumors G3

    puckhead193

    Joined:
    May 25, 2004
    Location:
    NY
    #18
    i need the power of a MBP.
     
  19. macrumors 68000

    BWhaler

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2003
    #19
    Too funny.

    I will do the same exact thing.
     
  20. jnc
    macrumors 68020

    jnc

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    Location:
    Nunya, Business TX
    #20
    If this is a "real" 12-13" MBP as I hoped, and thus perhaps in a ways comparable to the current low-end MBP, it'll have to retail around the same price - I don't see it coming out at less than $1899 unless the specs absolutely suck.
     
  21. macrumors 68040

    Telp

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2007
    #21
    I wont be buying it, im saving up for a MacBook Pro, however, if this is released, and it looks pretty, and it works well, and it has awesome specs, i will be spending a lot of time on them at the apple store.
     
  22. jnc
    macrumors 68020

    jnc

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    Location:
    Nunya, Business TX
    #22
    Ideally I want a low end MacBook and a decent Mac Pro.

    I've got my eye on a stock Octo 2.8 Mac Pro with Airport, so to be honest I won't need a particularly powerful notebook.

    With 4GB RAM performance I'd probably be happy with a MacBook, though it really could do with being lighter - plus my desire for a bigger, matte screen draws me toward a MacBook Pro, considering all the extras.

    Should they release a 13" MBP, I'd consider it the perfect compromise. The alu shell should keep weight down and the performance should be good without having to pump it full of RAM (which I'll probably still do anyway :D)

    So, ordering a Mac Pro in the next few days and looking forward to a smaller MBP to complement it!
     
  23. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2007
    #23
    Not the ultra-portable, no, but I will be buying a new MBP as soon as available if announced, and if not announced, then I will buy my MBP right then.
     
  24. macrumors 65816

    cbrain

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2006
    Location:
    North-East, UK
    #24
    Ehhh...Maybe. Lemme see the specs first (and the price...)
     
  25. macrumors 68000

    bobob

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2008
    #25
    Does anyone have an estimate of the average time between newly released Apple hardware and rev. b.?

    As a longtime Macfanboy, it's gonna be hard to wait, but it's only sensible, right?

    Right?!?

    :eek:
     

Share This Page