Who would run Apple If...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by paxtonandrew, Aug 22, 2004.

1. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    I Come From A Land Down Under
    Hello all,

If Steve's prognosis wasn't what it is, and he had the more common form of cancer, who would you like to see as the new head at Apple? I believe Phil Schiller, but I would like to hear your thoughts. This is only a hypothetical post, so nobody start to panic.

Thanks for your inputs.
  2. MrJohnson macrumors member

Apr 18, 2004

I would.
  3. beefcake macrumors 6502

Jun 22, 2003
    Underpants Gnomes.

They fit into Apple's secrecy trend by keep Phase 2 a mystery to even themselves, and Phase 3 is profit, the ultimate goal of all business.
  4. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
  5. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
  6. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
  7. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2004
    The Ocean Floor

"No Homer we need a scientist"

"BATMAN's a scientist!"

"Its not Batman!"

lol! back when the Simpsons was good!

How about Duffman, the keynotes would be good...oh yeah!
  8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Kinda strange nobody can imagine Apple without Steve at the top (forgetting the fact that Sculley was the longest serving Apple CEO).

I know we all love the guy, and surely hope he will stay around for a long time! But, for the sake of the company, there must be someone (besides me :p ) capable of running the company with the same charisma, flare, vision, and personality as him..... or is there?

Phil Schiller is not the same type of guy.

Maybe Jonathan Ive would be more of a Steve II....
  9. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2003
    No you guys got it all wrong.

Its going to be ME!!!!!!! First thing i would do is buy freescale semi. second close back the O.S just like the good ole days of os 9. more to come have to keep something secret :D
  10. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    first thing i would do would be make os x open source and secondly make apple sell atx parts so you can build your own mac, oh and sell mare nvidia retail cards and make ati sell more cards too, oh and bring back the cube, and remove the 5200 from all macs and replace it with either a 9600 or a 5700 ultra.

oh and clock the emac how it's ment to be clocked, and remove the screen spaning lock on emacs, ibooks and imacs
  11. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003

And watch what plummets first, the brand value or the bottom line. I suspect that such a program would be lead boots for both. DIY parts and indeed an all-free OS X would cause great devaluation from the current quality level -- Apple is a name people can trust at this time.

Removal of the screen spanning lock is so trivial that anyone who really needs it can either Google it or afford the pro-level computer.

The only part of your plan that is really good business is not underclocking the eMac; with iMac G5 around the corner, a fast, cheap desktop G4 is a Good Thing (tm).
  12. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    the 5200 pisses me off and so dose paying £100 to update.

why would selling parts harm apple? it would just expand the market for amd fanboy types and people with the skills to do that type of thing, and remove most of the mac myths that if they break you have to shell out for a pro repair instead of walking to pc world for a new motherboard.

the screen spanning is silly i know of the hack and i use it but you should not have to bother.
  13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    There's not a whole lot Apple can do about being stuck with GeForce 5200s - it's because Apple chose Open Firmware instead of a "standard" PC BIOS; therefore, Mac versions of graphics cards have to be written to communicate with OF, a task that only Apple seems to find worthwhile (ATI and nVidia can't be bothered, it seems - they hand the work over to Apple).
  14. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
  15. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Apr 26, 2003
    Wakayama, Japan
    You allready have this, its called Linux. Because that is exactly what OS X would become if it went open source.

Apple is all about a quality built together solution. The OS and hardware are designed to work together. You won't get that with open source.
  16. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003

Maybe Gore would get it. He'd be a capable administrator -- most voters nationwide in 2000 wanted him for President of the United Staes, if that's worth anything -- and he would have the vision. He's charismatic, but he's no Steve Jobs.

More likely though we'd be looking at Schiller, Ive, or some floating manager.

Wozniak might be interesting, though.
  17. StarmanDeluxe macrumors member

Feb 20, 2003
    San Diego
    Al Gore in charge of Apple would be terrible. Gore is a politician. Not an innovator (I wouldn't call him in an innovator even in his field :/). Sorry. Give me Ives or even Schiller any day.
  18. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    As long as we have been told the truth then Steve will be around for another decade or two. Jonathan Ives would be a good choice. I agree on Al Gore he is the polar opposite to Steve, no charisma at all.
  19. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    the kernel for OS X, Darwin is opensource.
  20. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    i was implying that the board of directors of apple would have a say in who would be the new CEO, not that Albert Core would be. I was just worried that someone who claimed to be the "father of the internet" would have a say in selecting the new CEO.
  21. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    im the real father of the internet!!!

i suppose the board would try to find someone who wouldnt shake things up too much from the direction steve was going; but the problem is trying to find someone with steves creative vision and drive because that in itself shakes things up; i dont know if im making sense here but steve would be hard to replece

maybe we could get mad man steve balmmer.. DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS hehe
  22. mattthemutt macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Ooooo... Scary. I just read Jurassic Park and I clicked on that Apple Board of Directors link and there was the President and CEO of Genentech, a corporation in the Jurassic Park book. Maybe Apple is has an island near Costa Rica and they're cloning dinosaurs! :D
  23. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says......Michael Eisner......hahahahahahah.......oh yeah!
  24. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2004
    South Eastern MA
    Steve Wozniak would make a cool Apple president/CEO. He's creative enough :)
  25. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    Has anyone read good to great by jim collins??
    It's all about companies that remain successful over a span of years and improve upon those successes, and what makes them work...and across the board, companies with ceos that defined the company failed as soon as the ceo stepped down/died/retired etc. Companies who succeeded and bested themselves over the years were the companies whose ceo was someone who ran the company well, and who never lost sight of the fact that the biggest part of his/her job was finding their replacement.
    I love apple, but I worry about their future sans Steve.