Who would want IE 6 anymore?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by itmdramaguy, Jun 1, 2003.

1. itmdramaguy macrumors newbie

I used to long forever for IE 6 on the Mac but it is not coming I guess and you know what, I really don't care, Safari is just as good as Internet Explorer on the Mac already and it is just in the beta. Apple really beat the socks off of Microsoft with Safari. Apple better hurry up and beat the socks off of Microsoft with iTunes for Windows very quickly.

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I doubt many people here car efor IE anymore. There are so many alternatives and they all work just fine.

P-Worm

3. evil macrumors 6502

i never use IE anymore, but my girlfriend always uses it. she doesnt like safari because a couple sites that she goes to do not work with safari.

4. anneleonard macrumors regular

there's still lots of sites that don't work in safari

safari's great (and camino if I fancy a change) but I often find that I have to start up IE to access multimedia sites. I've tried accessing the videos on the VH1 site but all I got on their video viewer window was "Sorry. VH1.com currently does not support video on Macintosh computers."!!:mad: How annoyed was I? Its not exactly rocket science embedding a video file. I've done it! These people are so lazy, they might as well have written "This site looks best on my PC". I'd say to everyone out there that if sites do not cater for mac users, email them- this is what I am doing. If websites have disgruntled users, they probably want to know about it.

5. benjaminpg macrumors regular

Some sites can be fixed by just changing your User agent string under the debug menu. Some sites are configured to only accept a couple broswers, such as netscape and internet explorer, and just dismiss other browsers. Changing the user agent tricks the site into thinking you're using a different browser. Often times the site is just fine; other times it is a little off, but still acceptable.

To find out how to enable the debug menu, search on google for "safari debug menu," and you will find many different ways of doing it.

6. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

IE? Whats that?

I use Mozilla Firebird and Safari...nothing else is needed, i think MS's decision to tie IE further is brilliant.

7. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I hope there is an IE6, choices in software are always good. Besides when I teach I use IE every day to post grades. Our DDN SCHOOL CAMPUS only seems to work right with IE and only IE is recommended.

8. MacCoaster macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Washington, DC / Rochester, NY / Lexington, NC
    This will only work if the sites use the User-Agent string from the Browser. I know many sites that actually use JavaScript to detect the browser without the User-Agent string.

You can get around that by finding the source code to open source browsers and change what it says for the browser from JavaScript.

9. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

I only use IE for one site, and that is all. I don't use Safari because my homepage (a text only page mind you) didn't even work. I use Mozilla, the king of all browsers!

(though I'll probably use Safari after its Beta)

10. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Re: Who would want IE 6 anymore?

I'd be interested, only as a designer though, wanting to test for optimal compatibiliy with all my possible viewers/visitors experiences.

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Safari not working on some sites

As has been stated above, it's most likely the fault of browser sniffing done by the site designers. Blame the designers for not supporting standards.

Safari is a very standards compliant browser and can handle correctly coded sites just fine.

In regards to IE6, it's sad that IE5/Mac is still far ahead of IE6/Win in many regards (Text Zoom, PNG, etc.).

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Re: there's still lots of sites that don't work in safari

I tried to watch a video on MSN and it told me to use IE 5 and WiMP 7, so I opened up IE, tried it, and got the same message. So I emailed them and they told me to use Netscape. What? MS want me to use a competing browser? :D

13. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Re: Re: there's still lots of sites that don't work in safari

lol :D
    that s fun..

14. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I installed Netscape 7, and wow, I actually love it!

IE suxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

15. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

I find that both IE and netscape are way to SLLLLLOOOOOOOWWWW for my tastes. I pretty much use safari only now I think I'll give camino a shot though. 've heard good things about it

16. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

There are still a great many sites that don't work with safari. especially on corporate intranets.

IE is still a necessity.

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Only if the sites are designed to only work with one browser.

The "one browser Web" is a fallacy and designers need to be help accountable for not creating sites that comply with standards.

18. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

I completely agree the sites that only work with IE are the sites that need to be redesigned to incorporate the industry standards. BTW I'm sure everyone here has heard the next move is that IE will be bundled with AOL as its default browser. OOH yippee skip:(