Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
http://www.alienware.com/configurat...?syscode=PC-AREA51-ALX-R5&subcode=SKU-DEFAULT

This is a Area-51® ALX, you get one woodcrest processor, as opposed to 2 woodcrest processors in the mac pro, but a pretty cool gpu for.........$6089 US dollars, and this is the base price without any upgrades. This is very rediculous. The Mac Pro can play games almost as well if you add $400 for x1900 + the performance of two woodcrests. i just think this is absurd, i saw it on an ad in MR.

plus it can't run os x:p

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
macman2790 said:
...$6089 US dollars...base price...i just think this is absurd...

Quad SLI isn't very common yet. I think it comes with some kind of wicked tech support (if its the same thing they showed on DL.tv), 2.5Tb of HDD, and like you said its base model. So you have a reasonable upgrade path.

Besides, these are show off computers. You buy one beacuse its so expensive.

I'm glad they exist, it means there is still a monied enthusiast group out there buying enough to make it viable. I havn't been in that group (not monied, but enthusiastic for bleeding edge) since I wanted to make my Mac SE a SE30 with the color card.

Mmmm. Now *that* was awesome stuff. ;)

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
xPismo said:
Quad SLI isn't very common yet. I think it comes with some kind of wicked tech support (if its the same thing they showed on DL.tv), 2.5Tb of HDD, and like you said its base model. So you have a reasonable upgrade path.

Besides, these are show off computers. You buy one beacuse its so expensive.

I'm glad they exist, it means there is still a monied enthusiast group out there buying enough to make it viable. I havn't been in that group (not monied, but enthusiastic for bleeding edge) since I wanted to make my Mac SE a SE30 with the color card.

Mmmm. Now *that* was awesome stuff. ;)
2.5tb doesn't come standard it comes standard with
250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ 8MB Cache

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Um. That isnt a woodcrest. That is a Core 2 Extreme which is an expensive chip. About $1000 to be exact. That single Core 2 Extreme would spank the Mac Pros 2 Xeons.

The RAM alone makes it much faster than the Mac Pro.

It would run games a million times better than the Mac Pro since it has two 7900GTX running in SLI, you get more memory, a 24" LCD monitor.

If you want to game and can't build your own box you will buy this machine.

Crappy comparison on your part as you left tons of details. So don't call it junk, when it comes to gaming it would run circles around the Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.