Whoa! Dell comes out with 24" LCD!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by madoka, Feb 2, 2005.

1. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

I was debating getting the 2005FPW, but now comes the 2405FPW, which many speculate will be about $1000-1200 after Dell's usual deals.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=273396&st=0

Yes, yes, Apple's monitor is prettier, but you maybe able to get both the 2005FPW AND the 2405FPW for the cost of the 23" Cinema.

2. brap macrumors 68000

Holy mackerel... even from that picture it looks BIG. edit: wide speculation on a French forum links it to this panel, from Samsung.

How I wish I wasn't so poor right now. My 19" CRT is beginning to look like a goldfish bowl.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Great. Dells 2005FPW is nice, but this should be even better. Its expensive, but better value than Apple's 23" unless you have money to burn and care that much about looks that you're willing to spend hundreds of $$$ more on an Apple monitor.

And this Dell isn't really an ugly LCD, either.

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

That's about a ~$600 saving if you go with the Dell vs. the Apple Cimena Display. I normally don't mind spending a bit more to get something "Apple" but $600 is some serious money that I think I could do w/o the Apple logo not being there.

What kind of connection does it have?

5. carpet macrumors member

6. amoildani macrumors member

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Undoubtedly.

8. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I'd like to see anyone come close to the 30"! :D

Until then I am content.

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Probably the same as the 2005FPW - DVI, VGA, Composite and S-Video. Plus some USB 2.0 ports to boot.

10. carpet macrumors member

Yes no?

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I agree, it does not look bad at all. Far better than the 2005FPW monitors. :)

If only I have a need for one, it would be this with a little paint job. ;) :p :)

Though an HD resolution on a 17" PB would be sweeeeeeet. :D

12. maya macrumors 68040

maya

YES, it has DVI-A/D :)

13. maya macrumors 68040

maya

This display also has a "Flash Card Reader". :eek: :)

14. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I see another "Price Drop" by Apple on the 23" ACD. ;) :)

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I read through that ENTIRE thread, and there was not ONE mention of the Sony 23" LCD... the SDM-P234. The 234 scored better than the Apple 23" display in a recent issue of Wired magazine...

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Looks good to me. It's a Dell LCD, so you know it will have top notch specs like the 2005FPW, can't wait to see the price tag. I bet it'll be a cracking deal.

17. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

oh that will happen. it just a matter of time before PC will be having graphic card that will be able to drive a monitor that larger and larger. and the monitors will follow

18. brandon6684 Guest

Assuming I don't get an iMac in the future, I'll probably be in the market for an LCD monitor, and while my next computer may be a Mac, I can't quite spring for the Apple branded monitor too. How is the the quality on Dell's LCD monitors? I had a Dell laptop about six months ago and was less than impressed with the screen, but then again it was a lower end model, the Inspiron 5150(or some meaning less number), and the over all quality was low.

19. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Don't PCs have the 6800? Wouldn't that drive it?

20. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Nope, only the mac version is dual-dvi..... for now.

kyle

21. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

My company uses all Dell products for the past 5+ years, including monitors. Be it CRTs or LCDs, I can't say much bad about them. However, I don't like their laptop displays either. (Night and day, however. I don't think you can judge their montior line based on your laptop experience.)

We've recently moved to LCDs (have a Dell in front of me right now) and I'm totally satisfied with the quality. The feature-set is quite impressive.

I also own a 2005FPW and am totally satisifed with it. 24"? Good grief, I can't imagine that on my desktop at home. :) Will be interested to see what it retails for.

I find it humerous the people who say that this new monitor is "more attractive" than the 2005FPW -- it looks identical to the 2005FPW. I think people believe the ugly soundbar on the Dell is standard; it's not.

22. amoildani macrumors member

i like the look of this one since it doesnt have that soundbar. I think it looks nasty. but this one is nice.
    If its around $1000 (with rebates) i'll probably get it over the Cinema display.

Can you adjust the height of the stand. I dont like how they look so high

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Hmmm...an Apple 23 or this new Dell AND a Mac mini w/BT key/mouse....decisions, decisions. :rolleyes:

24. TheBigB macrumors newbie

Wrong. Search newegg, you'll find some there.

25. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I got a Dell 17" LCD last week (1704FPW - 17", DVI, USB hub built in) and I couldn't be happier - both with the service (ordered in Monday evening, got it Friday afternoon) and the monitor itself. Despite their less-than-stellar PCs they do make good LCDs.

I used a 30% off coupon I found on www.xpbargains.com to save about $130 on it. If you don't need a monitor right now, you should regularly check out xpbargains to see if Dell do another LCD monitor promotion.