Whoa... I beat Chess

Discussion in 'macOS' started by arcobb, May 6, 2005.

1. arcobb macrumors regular

I won a chess game in Tiger! First time ever!... and a second to boot. Seems like the easy to "faster" to “stronger” settings actually mean something now! Before I never ever won a game

Maybe this is one of those 200 features we keep hearing about!?

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Wow, that's impressive. I've never heard of anyone beating it. Maybe it's time I take another crack at it.

3. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I never knew that there was a chess game.

i just searched for it in my finder and I found chess application support, chess speakable items, and chess.plist but I couldnt find the actual app?

4. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

I want a screenshot!

Seriously:

Congratulations.

I've had Chess in check many times but I have never beat it. :eek:

Maybe I should take another crack at it!

Does anyone else prefer the Jaguar version of Chess? The Panther version was too showy in my opinion...

5. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

hi:

it's in your applications folder. Simple as that!

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I wonder how Kasparov would do against Tiger Chess on the hardest settings.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

:eek: I didn't realise the game was so notoriously hard. I just thought I really sucked at chess. :D

Congratulations!

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

He'd blow chess.app out of the water. The Mac would be asking for mercy before you know it. It still takes a specialized computer system, programmed by people who have studied chess-playing computers in research labs and analyzed past games, and with years spent optimizing, to beat the best human chess players in any consistent way. Computers get faster faster than humans get faster, so someday the computer in your wristwatch will be able to beat any human at chess, but as of today chess.app ain't there yet.

9. ksz macrumors 68000

As I recall, Kasparov finally lost to Deep Thought or one of its successors. It was not an easy victory for the machine; Kasparov, I think, succumbed to fatigue during the long matches. If he were younger he may have beaten it soundly. However, Kasparov acknowledged that the best computer programs will begin to defeat the best human players consistently within 5 years, turning chess into a "solved problem." Will that reduce chess to a mere mathematical algorithm, a solvable problem, and rob the fun out of the game? Once we figuresd out that tic tac toe can always end in draw or Rubik's cube can always be solved in a programmatic way, we lost interest in those games. Kasparov has publicly wondered whether that might happen to his beloved game as well.

10. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Sorry to brag and revive an old thread, but unless you guys hadn't upgraded to Tiger at the time, and Panthers chess was smarter, I think I'm very good at Chess. I just beat it on hardest in 7 minutes. Wiped out his every piece on the board, except the king. How come?

11. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

congratulations :D

I'm a fairly competent chess player (or so I think :rolleyes: ), and I reliably get my @ss thoroughly kicked.

12. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Yeah ditto...it always seems to find some way of wriggling from check :mad: grrr...

13. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

This is why I play games like Quake 4 and Defcon......

Chess made me cry.

14. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

To my knowledge, Chess in Tiger, at least at the lowest difficulty, is not as difficult as Chess in Panther or Jaguar. They probably realized it was slaughtering all the average Chess players (like me) and decided to give us a break.

15. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

16. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Congrats...always fun to win. But as previously stated, it was a better challenge in pervious versions of X. I almost wish I could run an older version on my MBP so I could have a challenge again...

17. mcshyd macrumors newbie

I Just beat mac chess on OSX 10.4.8 on the strongest setting, and i'm a little disappointed. I realized that if i open with the kings pawn and go into an early queen gambit, the computer takes it, every time. This leaves me with early control of the center, along with better positioning of my knights. I started at the easiest setting, and kept going up in increments. I figured I would continue to play at the level that beat me first. except, it never did. BOO. I didn't pay 2500 dollars for a computer thats more of an idiot than I am.

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm assuming this is a joke, since the computer has no bearing on how the application plays chess?

19. mcshyd macrumors newbie

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Perhaps you should have purchased a WOPR?
    I hear it's pretty good at games.

21. mcshyd macrumors newbie

um, that's a ridiculous reference, and I feel ashamed to have gotten it.

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

23. satty macrumors 6502

Congratulations :)

What settings did you use?

I prefer to play with Black and use the "Regular" option. In my opinion this program is useless with those settings. However if the computer is playing Black I definitely struggle.

Give this one a try on your Mac:

Attached Files:

24. ChrisA macrumors G4

I've found that too. In the "easy" mode you can pretty much walk through the game and trounce it.

25. mcshyd macrumors newbie

I played white with the regular settings. Perhaps I should try one of the variants...

Do you know how the variants change the gameplay?

Satty, you down for a game?