WHOA, I can't lift the Apple Wireless Mouse and click at the same time!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ravenvii, Jul 23, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I just realized today that I can't lift my Apple Wireless Mouse and click at the same time! With the wired mouse, you can lift it and click at the same time by holding it by the, umm, thingies on both sides. But with the wireless (bluetooth) version, you can't! What's the point of those "thingies" then? Design flaw! And an obvious one too!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Raven, have you tried adjusting the spring strength? There's a switch underneath the bottom plate, next to the battery compartment.

3. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Weird, I moved the tension to the - position, and now it sort of works, but not quite. I can click, hold and lift, and most of the time it works, but I can't click again once I let go until I put it back down. Weird.

4. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Yeah mine too, but I'm not sure if it's a design flaw. The wireless mouse is designed to be moved and used upto 10' from the machine. If I'm moving about (I do) I don't want to click the thing whilst I'm going from one place to the other. With the wired mouse you're physically limited from moving too far. At least that's the way it seems to me.
    But maybe, as usual, I'm talking out of my jacksy :D

5. PBGPowerbook macrumors regular

i read the title of this thread, then lifted my apple bt mouse and clicked the link. I can do it just fine...

6. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Have you thought about lifting weights? (Okay, after reading the thread I just had to say it).

I too tried my mouse and had no problem with it... I am on the (-) side of the tension scale... you might just need to break it in a little more, or work on your wrist.

7. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Huh

You know, I won't be able to test it out until I go back to work on Monday (I'm wired here at home), but I could swear I've clicked in the air before - using the wireless mouse as a Keynote clicker. Then again, maybe I had it pressed against my chest. Huh. Now you've got me curious. Not quite curious enough to make the drive up to work, but curious.

8. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Whoo... after reading the above few posts, I think I better take a little trip to the Apple Store and try theirs... I got this one used, and you guys got me wondering if it's faulty...

I can click it when holding it in the air, but only if I squeeze it hard and press the very front end of the mouse very hard. Any other way and it doesn't work. This only works in the - position of the tension switch. In the + position, no squeezing or pressing works.

9. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

No problems with my Apple Wireless Mouse either. I wonder if the one you've been using is somehow defective?

10. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

The guy I got this from said he got this three months ago. And I've just checked - god bless Apple has 1 year warranty on it!

Off to call 'em up!

11. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Could be two things

I once bought an Apple wireless mouse that was defective: the mouse was very hard to click, even with the tension set to the lowest setting. I could barely hold, lift and click. I have owned 4 of these mice, and have never had a problem. Then again, I don't have small hands and I am a tennis player, so I have fairly strong hands and a good grip.

Take your to an Apple store and compare... you might want to use those squeeze coil grips to strngthen your hand as well :D

Just joking...

12. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Well, called Apple up, and I got a replacement coming. Excellent.

13. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah no problems here either, sorry Raven hope things get sorted out

15. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

At the Apple Store I could lift and click OK, but when I tried to chew gum as well, I nearly asphyxiated. Be warned.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Just think how bad it could've been if Apple put a second button on that mouse! See? They're looking out for you! ;) :eek: :D

17. Cindy macrumors regular

I was just reading some posts this am and read yours -- Lets see... I've had my eMac for 2 years and never knew the "thingies" on the side did anything!!!
    What else am I gonna learn that I didn't know about my Mac!

18. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Just got my replacement from Apple (that was FAST!), and guess what? I can click just fine when lifting the mouse.

So that means the other one WAS defective. All you jokers talking about asphyxiation and weak wrists can go stuff it!

19. SurfinSHELL23 macrumors regular

What happened to the old one?

20. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Something odd in the physics

You know, I actually thought to try this at work today (where my wireless is.) I held up the wired mouse. Click click click - midair - no problem. I picked up the wireless and pushed, pushed, pushed. No click took. From a physics point, it seems it should work. The side wedges are connected to the bottom and disconnected from the top. Yet it somehow won't go. As if it's set to recognize the pressure on the sides and to *not* click when in the air.

I think this may be a feature - not a problem. It has to be built into it somehow. They probably figure that you have no reason to click or to unclick mid-air. Didn't think to try to unclick mid-air. I'll have to try that tomorrow.

Hmmmmmmm.....