whoa I just looked at the dual 2.5GHz g5 watercooling it's mad!!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mord, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I just looked in the new updated g5 service manual and the watercooling set apple used looks insane

I cant post the picture here due to apple legal but add Hectoruk@mac.com to your ichat and i can "discuss it"

(imagine me doing air quotations when i typed "discuss it")

it is truly the craziest watercooling i have ever seen it reminds me of the japanese watercooled dreamcast

2. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Yes you can, go ahead.

3. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

no i cant I learnt that when i posted a picture of a blue quicksilver

4. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

I also noticed that the dual 2.5GHz g5 has one big processor cover just like the one in the apple insider picture but the logic board is not like the one in those pictures

the dual 2.5 has quite a few different parts for example it has a better power supply

5. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

where does it mention that you cant post pictures of current products. Your not making a profit from it.

6. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

it says in big letters at the bottom do not distribute this media copright apple or somthing like that

if you want to see it add yourself to my ichat list

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

How is this different to you just posting it on some webspace somehere and giving us a link?

(e-mail it to me and I'll host if you like!)

8. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

because apple legal will stumble apon it thats why

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

They won't stumble upon it when I zip it and call it something else either ;) :D C'mon!!! E-mail it to me!

10. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

ah screw it grab it while you can

Attached Files:

11. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

heres the bottom of it

it's all one unit as a service part

Attached Files:

12. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

and heres the cover

Attached Files:

13. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

that's the real reason why it took so long to update the g5s.

i ain't not expert in water cooling systems, so can someone tell me, what advantages it has?

less power consumption?

14. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

well it's cool and dose not make much noise thats about all there is to it

watercooling is an established technology so it would not of taken that long to develop getting 2.5GHz g5's from IBM was the problem

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Liquid passes over the processor to carry the heat away with it, there is also a regluar fan on top of it in this case by the looks of things to help out. The heated water then passes through a radiator/heater core to dispense the heat before going over the processor again and so it continues. That's how it normally works.

16. belair macrumors 6502

belair

what does it imply

What is the cost involved with such a cooling device. Does it justify the price of the G5 or is the cost more likely due to yield problems of IBM.
    :confused:
    And also, what is the noise reduction, in real life. My G3 fan is just making me crazy when I want to read like a book and my mac is on standby.

17. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

you can replace the fan with a quieter one that has the same cfm rating
    the 120mm fan makes the most noise

watercooling is not too expensive the g5 is not expensive configure a dual opteron or xeon and see how much they cost the only reason they look expensive is because apple dose not do low end

18. belair macrumors 6502

belair

yep

Thanks for the info. Dont get me wrong here. I know mac is definetely good value for the buck. My old G3 did a great job during university and it even was good enough to make some money with as a free lance designer. A lot of my friends, have smoked several PC's during that time, literally.
    I was just wondering if the cooling was an expensive "tour de force" or not and if my new 2,5 liquid cooled g5, I ordered yesteday, was going to be easier on the ears than my old machine. No chirping an kreeking like the rev a G5's. Fingers crossed.

19. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

those pictures are interesting! Hector, You say its one serviceable unit. Hmm... So if this sucker breaks or leakes then you have to have the whole thing replaced. Ouch. I wonder what could be the price on this unit

20. reorx macrumors member

Sweet! That's a pretty serious effort, the radiator is huge! Looks like the heater core for a car... :D

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The explanation was it's a power density issue related to the same power dissipation in a smaller area that led to the need for more efficient cooling.

Doesn't make the possibility of the 970fx in a laptop sound very possitive, while they are technically the same numbers as some of the 7457s, they are cranking out that same heat from a smaller area.

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it will be amazing to see this in a laptop considering what is needed to cool it in a tower. I dont expect g5 laptops anytime soon, but im sure apple is hard at work with it, its gonna be interesting to see when they finially figure it out

23. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

The way I understand it, the two most important things to water cooling (barring breakage) is radiator and reservoir. The radiator does it's purpose just like a normal heat-sink, being that it merely cools stuff. The reservoir is the part most people over look and the most important in my opinion. The larger the reservoir the more water there is to heat up, and thus the longer it takes to heat all of it. This means that if the G5 had a reasonable size reservoir (which I don't really see) then it could practically run silent, because even when the CPU(s) are running 100% the water all of the water in the system wouldn't get too warm and thus could be cooled slowly over a longer period of time. The only problem would be if it ran 100% all the time, then thats where radiator construction comes in.

It is now that I would like to point out there are heat pipes running under the the logic board that are near, but not actually under, the CPUs. Does anybody know what that is all about? Possibly some kind of system bus?

24. ClimbingTheLog macrumors 6502a

Apple Care

Repeat after me: AppleCare is part of the price, AppleCare is part of the price...

25. stingerman macrumors 6502

IBM has been using watercooling in their thinkpads sinc 1999. It's an engineering challenge but hardly impossible. The first generation PB G5's will probably be a single core SOC design and thus have a lot more space for the cooling system. A derivative of the cooligy system makes sense. If they are based on the Power5 core they will also benefit from IBM's newer generation low-k dielectrics. Since the Power5 core is expected at 3GHz, under-clocking to 2GHz+ should put the notebooks in the sweet spot. All that and a robust SMT for the drooling Power user.