Whoa, major issue with MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kingsly, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Umm... wtf? I just got my MBP back (MLB replaced) and its worse than when I sent it. Upon boot I get the startup chime and then, after a while of grey screen, I am greeted with a question-marked folder and suddenly it goes into EFI! I get a BIOS-like boot screen and then the computer boots normally. It also gives me an EFI message upon shutdown. (sorry 'bout the blurriness)[​IMG]

Also, they replaced the screen, and it doesn't close properly anymore!!!
    I am taking it to an Apple store and, if the genius decides that it needs to go back in for repair, ECR has approved a new machine for me.

I am so glad that this fiasco is almost over!
    Does anyone think the genius might NOT take it for repair? :eek: Im so nervous...

Attached Files:

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Looks like it was set to boot verbosely but not unset. Read the article for how to undo it. Basically, open Terminal, type in
    sudo /usr/sbin/nvram boot-args=""
    enter your password, and see if rebooting shows that the problem is gone.
  3. apachie2k macrumors 6502

May 23, 2006
    was NYC...now MIAMI
    they will always say they can fix it... they will do everything in their power to give you a new computer....your power.... COMPLAIN
    and they will ANSWER with what you NEEd to hear
    how unacceptable is this??
  4. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2005
    Alta Loma, CA
    I'm confised...

You implied in the "Dead Pixel" thread that you were an Apple Service Tech.
    But you don't know what Verbose Booting is?

Anyway - JSW is correct.. that should make it go away.
  5. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

In training. ;)

Anyway, I will try the verbose booting fix. I still think my display should close correctly, and airport should work, and a myriad of other issues should be addressed.
  6. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2005
    Alta Loma, CA
    Work the system. You know the number of repairs that are required to get a new notebook.
  7. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Exactly. This will be its fourth repair...