Whoa! Near miss!

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Sep 5, 2004.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Nah, it's most likely an effect of the telephoto lens compressing distance.

Still pretty wild photo.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=652327&TopOfYest=yes

Here's another one.

First Officer: "Uh Captain? Maybe you had one too many at the sky-bar?"

link

This website is AWESOME man. A feast for the aviation buff. God I love the internet.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just a telephoto lens. The larger craft is far larger than it looks in that picture. Look at the cockpit sizes, I'm almost certain that both planes should have cockpit windows very close to the same size. However, in this image the Lufthansa jet has a noticeably smaller cockpit.

Still though, they are rather close, maybe even closer than they should be. I'm certain that passengers on each vessel could see the other plane, and in all my flying experience, that has never happened.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Naw, it's just the newest sport: tandem piloting.

4. bubbamac macrumors 6502

The runways at SFO are very close - this is not an unusual approach there - except for the size of the aircraft.

5. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

Wouldn't that be a near hit?
    a collision would be a near miss.

*CRASH* Look, they nearly missed

6. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Wow, that must suck to be in one of the planes, not sure if you will collide with another plane in mid-air moving at hundreds of MPH.

7. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Figure of speech. Don't want to get into semantics. ;)

8. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

These issues of perspective have nothing to do with the focal length of the lens. The airplanes would appear the same distance from each other whether the photo was taken with a 50mm lens or a 1200mm lens. It has to do with the distance from the lens to the subject, not the focal length of the lens--it's just that at great distances, people tend to use longer lenses.

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think you're right. Also, if it really was a "near miss" the wing of the Lufthansa jet would be poking through the American jet, not completely behind it, as it appears in the picture.

Daveman Deluxe--technically, you're right, but the point is, the photographer must have been at a great distance from the planes, and thus would have had to use a very high-powered lens.

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

It's most definitely "Synchronized Flying", proposed for the 2008 olympics.

11. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I once someone use a 1' lens to try and take a picture of a leopard 3' away.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So these guys are a distance apart, but the lens makes them appear closer? What?

Anyway, I always thought that if 2 planes touched, both planes would probably fall apart on contact as they're both going so fast and carrying a lot of energy and momentum. And its not like they're using super thick sheets of metal on the outside, you know?

13. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I said "tend to". I've done similar things with long lenses at short distances.

14. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

looking at the cockpit window sizes, yeah, they're definitely further from each other than they appear, but it seems that they're still pretty close! at least closer than they should be....

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I've used a lens that was 10 inches long (physical size) to take a picture of a flower that was like a foot away. The lens had a macro feature so that I could get really really close in.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It looks just like one of those great shots of perspective. Makes for a great discussion. It could also be a photoshop job.

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Nah, that is quite legit.

And they are infact very close to eachother.

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

They are relatively close - but it is a case of a telephoto lens and position. Also, if you notice, the 747's wing is behind the other plane....so they're not right on top of each other.

D

19. bubbamac macrumors 6502

OK, more information. The runways at SFO that these guys are using are about 500' apart (don't have access to better info at this time) so that's probably about how far apart the airplanes are.

Keep in mind that the 747 has a wingspan in excess of 200' - and the 757 in the foreground isn't a small airplane when there's not a 747 sitting next to it.

The arrivals to these runways include a fairly gradual narrowing of the approaches - the 747 is the one that was "moving closer," the 757 is the one that stays on the runway centerline.

I've been inside the airplane doing this once, it's pretty cool, actually. It's very stable (nobody's doing any wild turns), and well talked about/briefed way before it's flown, because it is unusual. Quite safe.

20. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

The guy had his window down and was scanning the horizon for a leopard we pointed towards. He didn't realize it was in the ditch next to the road...

:)

Never seen a window go up that fast before or since.

21. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Whoa... crazy man! That takes some skilled piloting. Thank God they dont let our pilots fly drunk!

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It is very possible that they were Air Force trained pilots. That they learned on a jet fighter. In that type of flying they need to learn precision in formation. Still an amazing shot by the photographer. That would definitely get pilots excited. Though it may not be so comforting to the general flying public. :D

23. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

that guy's crazy. not cause of the lens but cause of the leopard 3' away lol

24. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

The guy didn't realize it was 3' away. We were sitting on the far side of the road from it after watching the thing cross. A car came from the other direction and sat right next to the leopard. They rolled down a window asked what we looking at and we said leopard and point. Down went then window out came the camera. He was scanning the horizon and worked his way down to see it right there. Close enough to pet. (Not that anyone was stupid enough to want to