Whoever says Windows is for Gaming is on Crack.

Discussion in 'Games' started by dotdotdot, May 16, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

<RANT>Whoever said Windows is good for gaming is on crack.

I purchased Battlefield 1942 a while ago...

Anyway, I play it once in a while - its a really great game.

Well, all of a sudden, I cant connect to networks.

I download a patch.

Now I cant even access that screen.

I uninstall.

I reinstall.

I try to play.

I go and it crashes to the desktop.

I download the patch.

It crashes so much all I can do is press and hold power.

I have never had so much trouble with a single program in my life! All I want to do is PLAY A STUPID GAME!

Hey, maybe if we all smoke crack together and inject other drugs into our bloodstreem, Windows XP will be a goood OS.

EVERYONE WHO LIKES XP FOR GAMES: Go to rehab. Get off the stuff. You'll see that there is no possible way for a game to SUCK THIS MUCH.

</end rant>

Man! Its sooooo annoying (wow, I used like 5 o's)

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

NO. Windows is for games. It's just that Windows sucks.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I guess I might be on crack... I just finished playing through Half-Life 2 a couple of weeks ago, and it's AWESOME... better than anything currently on a console.

Maybe you should blame the folks who wrote Battlefield 1942. :)

4. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

5. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

HL2 is coming out for Xbox and not a second is cut out of it.

If anyone cares i read it in OXM. :rolleyes:

6. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

I just want to note that with PC games, they are always ALWAYS going to be some computers that won't work with it no matter what. To many different hardware and software conflicts. OS X shares resources, Windows has to fight for them.

7. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

No, EA Games is good. Its Microsoft and their crappy OS.

And worst of all, they brainwashed so many people. My dad thinks Mac is bad and he loves his current computer. If only I could convince him to switch.

Then, there are the extreme cases... (Ahem, Paul Thurrott, www.winsupersite.com)

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Nah, Windoze is for gaming - it has a whole lot more games for it ATM, plus the customizability allow you to perfect your system to your gaming needs. Sometimes games or other programs causes problems - on any OS...

9. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

AHHH!!!

I need some sleep - In the morning I'll feel better...

10. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

You have platform gaming and you have computer gaming. RPGs are better on a console, FPS are better on a computer, sports games are better on a console, strategy and building games are better on a computer, racing games are better on a console, Adventure games are better on a computer.

Even if you don't agree with my choices, I think it's clear that some games are better for console and some are better for a computer. That said, PS2, XBOX, even the Gamecube present wonderful gaming for console gaming. As for computer gaming...... Windows is tops. I'm going to say in large part to directx and microsofts willingness to expand game development.

11. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

YEP, it was windows!

After my needed sleep and school and baseball game, I discovered - BF1942 was not working because:

Windows was fragmented ONLY in that folder
    Registry files existed since 2003 on that game

After I deleted and defraged, it works 96%.

For some reason, NOW I get the damn BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!

12. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Windows has crashed on me before but Ive never gotten blue screen as Ive heard s many people say. What is the blue screen of death?

13. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I believe BF1942 has problems. I had similar troubles with the game in the past. Often BF would crash and I'd get dumped out to the desktop, especially when trying to play online. Once after upgrading my nVidia drivers I started getting BSOD, but ONLY when playing BF1942. Aside from my driver/BF'42 issue I have not had WinXP BSOD on me once, nor have I had a system hang that required a reboot. I have been using Windows XP extensively for four years now. I've used my Mac mini for about two months and have had two system hangs that required hard reboots.

I have also played BF 'Nam a lot and have never had any issues with that game. Trust me, there is something funky with that game. I think it has problems with certain hardware configurations and perhaps certain elements of Windows. However, I honestly don't think it is "just" Windows because 95% of my Windows crashes over the past few years have involved BF 1942, coincidence... I don't think so.

14. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    dont bash windows...it has its uses, and gaming is one of them.

basically thats all i use my box back home for now

15. angelneo macrumors 68000

With all the new consoles coming in with networking capability, who needs a personal computer for gaming? so effectively, windows has become redundant...

16. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

Please don't give crack users a bad name like this. I don't know any crack users who recommend Windows, not even for gaming. In fact, I don't know any crack users that have a computer. But if they did, they'd have a Mac. Because Mac rhymes with Crack.

17. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Really? I've never seen a gaming console that could run Active Directory with tens of thousands of nodes across dozens of sites in several continents.

I've said it once, I'll say it again. Microsoft focuses on the enterprise - the home market is just a pet project for them.

18. angelneo macrumors 68000

If we are basing the reasoning that windows is only for gaming which many people buys a PC for. Of course, it have it uses for entreprise which they severely locked down on. However, on the consumer side, things might get slightly different.

EDIT: Sorry, I think I should have add this in. Just refer to the thread title "Whoever says Windows is for Gaming is on Crack."

19. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Agreed

20. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Well, crashing is what makes windows what it is!

Look, windows are faster in gaming, but noone said that they won't crash in games. We say that they are best for games because they are faster in that. But they crash all the time and if you do something weird with their preferences they will crash again!

After 100 crashes I believe you can enjoy your game.

21. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

EA Games are not that great.

I purchased 007 Nightfire.
    I was very excited to play a Jmaes Bond game. It started off well enough, but during he game things just didn't make sense. There were huge holes in the plot, and the game was very very short.
    when EA ported the game to PC (and possibly Mac) they left out a number of levels, which completely broke the story, and they didn't bother to add any cutscenes to fill in the holes or explian what was going on.
    I expect better from a company the size of EA.
    The original console version had 12 levels, the PC version only 9.
    That means they cut almost a third off the game and still had the cheek to charge full price.
    I actually hate EA as a company, and will only purchase games they distribute, but none that they develop.

22. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

A little horror story, I experienced on a LAN party with my brother's Windows PC. I installed a game by selecting the folder "Games". But this installer didn't create a new folder inside "Games", but wrote all the files directly into the folder. Great! So I started the installer again to uninstall and install again into a new folder, but after the uninstallation, the whole "Games" folder was deleted with all the games in it. Thank god, my brother had all of them on the original CDs, but the LAN party was almost over for me...

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The worst problem I've had at LAN parties is trying to get the Mac and Windows games to talk to each other. The Mac version has, say, version 1.2 on the DVD, and all the Windows users are still on 1.0. But they don't want to upgrade, because then they need to find new no-CD cracks for the games :eek: :rolleyes:

24. Windoze_Fanboy macrumors newbie

Do you mean to say that the console platform is better then the PC platform for games... I am quite astounded, why is this?

25. iGary Guest

iGary

Hey, Mac has always had chess. It is the original gaming machine. :D