WHOO! Revolution 1st party games freely downloadable!

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Jun 2, 2005.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004

WHOOHOO! This better not be a journalistic misprint!

So all Nintendo first party NES, SNES, and N64 games will be FREE and third parties will decide whether to charge or not (so say Capcom games like MegaMan X for SNES might have cost some money, if Capcom says so, while Super Metroid will be free).

2. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)

what's gonna be more interesting what happens to the games made by gamedevelopers who stopped existing and how many rights nintendo bought after they stopped producing the games etc.

i think a lot of developers will jump on this train if not all: those old games are lying around unused anyway and that way they could easily get money out of it for not really doing much at all especially something like that might drive a lot of third party developers back to nintendo

i already can see the game boxes for the revolution titels: "download x classic games from the developer of this game for free"
    similar to the codes which were in the gamecube boxeswhere you could collect points etc.
  3. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    Niiice! :) If they manage to do this the right way there will be a rather respectable number of games available at launch time. (Rather old games, but still fun).

Glad to see they're working on getting more 3rd party devs onboard...

Still unsure what next-gen console I'll be getting. I guess the games will decide.
  4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    This is a GREAT idea. Make the first-party games free, then let the third parties decide what to do, since they hold the rights, not Nintendo (all they hold is the licensing fees).
  5. Poff macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2003
    Stavanger, Norway
    My first thought aswell..

If this is true, the first thing I'm going to do when I get hold of the Revolution is to download Mario Party 3! WOOOHOOOOO!!!! :D
  6. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    This is fantastic news. god only knows (and old-skool gamers) how amazing old Nes games can be, especially Snes. oh wow. Mario World :eek: sure ive already completed it on my GBA but still :D

i really hope they put up GB games too. id love to play through Pokemon Blue/Red again (not leafgreen/firered but the real originals).

thats done it. im not even going to consider another console now. Rev ALL the way! still though, i hope they don't just give the classics away. i wanna see a reward system so much. man, they could even incorporate this stuff into new GC games. like complete "Pokemon XD: Lugia's thingy" (GC) on the Rev, unlock Pokemon Blue/Red for download, catch Mewtwo, unlock Mew on Pokemon XD. ready to transfer to any GBA/DS Pokemon game.

ping-ponging reward systems across not only games, but consoles themselves. rewarding the hardcore gamer. hey! i can dream. but think about it; its completely and totally possible. its like Metroid Prime: Hunters on the DS, my guessing is there will be a level making app on the Revolution and you can beam levels to your DS. its sooo possible :D
  7. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003

Great job Nintendo. Free is the way to go. I only hope that Nintendo sells a blank GBA cart with an NES/SNES emulator, and I can wifi these games to my DS. Aftermarket solutions already accomplish this, I know, but the technology is in place in both the Rev and the DS for a first party solution.

As far as 3rd party games go, I think that big dev houses like sega/EA/capcom etc. could offer their old school games as a reward for playing their new gen games. Beat mega man revolution, download the entire mega man library. Earn those "EA points" in madden/etc., download so many old EA games (like F-22!!!).

This would be a good incentive to play newer games and it would give the DS a MAJOR leg up on the PSP. I'm salivating over setting up an NES/SNES "playlist" of games on my DS, beemed directly from my revolution. :D
  8. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Yeah, I can imagine this is both a good way to get people to buy the console (instead of waiting for more games to come, they'll buy immediately just for the classics even if they don't get any games), AND an encouragement to third parties.

I imagine, say, you buy MegaMan X 9, where if you buy the game it unlocks X1, X2, and X3 for SNES or something like that.
  9. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    yea the Reward system is the way to go, they already have the Stars system which works in a near identical way (in theory). buy a game. get the interactive 'history' of it too.

this whole thing means i can finally pack up my NES and keep it somewhere safe to show my grandkids in 40-50 years:)
  10. Ringu macrumors member

Mar 20, 2005
    Very clever.

Looks like a NinRev for me too then.
  11. SurfAddict macrumors member

Feb 7, 2005
    I would have already probably gotten the system anyhow but now I'll definetly be getting one. Thanks for the report gfl
  12. katchow macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2002
    Dayton, Ohio
    been playing snes and nes games on my mac for a long time now. and they're fun for nostalgic reasons but not for very long. n64 might be nice (for awhile). i like the idea, but its not enough to sell me on the new console.
  13. sambront macrumors newbie

Dec 4, 2004

There is no way that Nintendo releases their entire back-catalog for free. They need to sell next-gen software to make money. Selling a cheap emulation box, and then letting everybody download hundreds of games for free, would put them out of business.

What they will do is let you download games as bonuses (i.e. buy "Legend of Zelda: Revolution", get the old zelda games on download), but you'll need to buy the new game to get them. Sort of like when you pre-ordered "Zelda: Wind Walker" for the Gamecube, and got the N64 games as a bonus. Yeah, I didn't have to pay for the N64 versions, but I had to spend $50 for "Wind Walker" to get them. $50 came out of bank account.

Of course, this is the way to do it. I see Nintendo giving a bunch of games out for free, right off the bat. Some will even be good. But the series, and lots of the "top tier" games will be bonuses. Or maybe there will be something like the Apple/Pepsi thing.

But to think Nintendo is just going to open the floodgates and release 20 years of games for free is just insane.

(p.s. Of course, I would not mind if they did)

14. rowanhall macrumors member

Dec 27, 2004
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    that is a sweet idea!

i like the idea mentioned above about finally packing away the consoles! my nes and snes are still set up and played often!

as a nintendo advocate, i cant wait!!

15. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Lots of possibilities here. I like the idea that you might get one free download of Super Mario when you buy the new Rev Mario game, then get another old game dl when you beat the Rev game.

I have a GC, Xbox, and PS2 today, and I plan to get all three consoles again this generation. This is just more Nintendo icing.

Now, let's see some spec's...and the controller.
  16. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    You're making the assumption that Nintendo follows the same business model here.

Microsoft takes a loss to make up in software (and failed horribly). Sony makes a tiny loss/breaks even to make up in software.

However, Nintendo NEVER sold their system for a loss. Only one quarter did they sell for a loss, and that was when they first dropped to $99, but only for one quarter was it a loss. Even at launch the GameCube made a profit. As did the N64, SNES, and NES.

Nintendo will make profits on every system sold. They will have all Nintendo games freely downloadable to encourage you to buy the system...BUT...the third party games won't be downloadable, so you'll probably have to buy the third party games to get those as part of a rewards system.
  17. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    how much profit do you think Nintendo get from selling NES, Snes and N64 games in this day and age? just as i thought, none ;)

offering for free is the last chance these games have to be seen once more cuz lame people just get Roms, or shops sell classic games where not a penny goes to Nintendo just the shop.

its hardly going to destroy Nintendo :S its like me giving away my old shoe laces for free. nobodies going to pay for them and im not going to use them again.
  18. sambront macrumors newbie

Dec 4, 2004
    Except you will have people that buy the box to play official copies of the hundreds of games that were available for the NES/SNES/N64, and then don't spend another dime on any of the new stuff.

I mean, think about it: you spend $200 on the Revolution, bring it home, and have access hundreds of platformers, side scrollers, arcade games, puzzle games, RPGs, etc, etc.

I just don't see them doing that. I see them giving out quite a few with the purchase of the system. I see them giving away games during the year (20th anniversary of the SNES, everybody gets a copy of Donkey Kong Country!), stuff like that. But I don't think they are just going to make every Donkey Kong, ever Mario Kart and Mario Party, etc, available for free.

But maybe I'm being not being optimistic enough? Here's to hoping I'm wrong.

19. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    The thing with Nintendo is, unlike Sony and Microsoft, they actually sell their systems at a profit. So they do WANT this to happen, for people to buy millions of their systems :)
  20. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Dec 23, 2004
    Charleston, IL
    Just the thought of having all of these classics on a next gen console gives me goose bumps... I really hope that the developers jump on this opportunity.
  21. calyxman macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    Free is welcome word in my dictionary. :)
  22. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Here's the list:

23. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Anyone notice the 64 DD games made available?

It has Polygon Studio!

Will Nintendo release a mouse for it? Perhaps that is what the USB 2.0 ports are for? Or will the controllers be gyroscopic as rumored *everywhere* and that be usable as the mouse?
  24. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2004
    Despite rumors, Nintendo has yet to finalize their plans for the Revolution's download service.

The Internet has recently been abuzz with rumors of Nintendo's plan for the Revolution's downloadable service, which will feature full backwards compatibility with previous Nintendo consoles. Along with a recent article in the Japanese publication, Famitsu, many people seem to believe that first party games will be completely free at launch. This rumor became even more bloated when a supposed "launch list" surfaced, containing all 221 Nintendo-published games for NES through N64.

The gossip’s origin is probably this statement made by George Harrison during a Q&A session with GameSpot:

“But certainly with the next console it would be, with a couple of important changes like eliminating the access fee so there's not really a monthly subscription, and making use of first-party games, downloadable for free. That to us will be really revolutionary.”

The truth of the matter is, however, that Nintendo is still finalizing their approach with how games will be acquired and how/if gamers will be charged for them. The status of the download service was clarified in this statement from Perrin Kaplan, which PGC obtained from Nintendo of America today:

"For Revolution and accessing older games, we haven't finalized how we will structure it yet. It is possible that players will enjoy these games without a charge from Nintendo, or there may be some pay structure for accessing the actual product. We haven't finalized it yet. Our goal is to make it as easy and inexpensive as possible, which could be free."

So, in short, while it is certainly an entertaining and wishful thought, consider this rumor debunked. Neither pricing nor game availability have been finalized for the Revolution's download service.