whoops, I killed the GUI

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by vincentmeanie, Jan 16, 2003.

1. vincentmeanie macrumors newbie

so I just successfully put a new harddrive into my ibook 600, spent late hours last night reinstalling the OS and core apps,

in my leasure I brought it in to work today to bring over all my items from my old home dir, to the freshly loaded one, ( cause I had copyed them to a firewire drive)

well there was a problem doing a direct copy apparently because when I rebooted, I get a background image, and a mouse cursor, but nothing else, no dock, no topbar, nothing...

so heres the issue, I dont want to wait till I get home and spend another three hours doing a jag reinstall....

if I boot into console mode, can I delete my directory manually and have the OS repopulate a default one? or can I remove my account from the console and recreate it?

I guess the question is, if I make changes to the core OS will it get picked up by the stupid top layer gui and make it happy?

2. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Re: whoops, I killed the GUI

I guess you just overwrote the new home directory with the old one...

There is a default "template" that you could copy over from:

~/System/Library/User Template/English.lproj

Inside this folder you can find all the default files and folders. When it's copied over to the ~/Users folder, just rename English.lproj to your old user name (short).

On my unofficial accuracy grading scale this gets 3 bananas on a 5 banana scale.

3. vincentmeanie thread starter macrumors newbie

sweet, the answer I needed, now how do I force it to boot into console? I keep trying the (apple) C on boot, but it goes and boots into the messed up profile anyway

this would be a good spot to post a bunch of know boot options

I know (apple) T is target disk mode

4. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Apple-C is : boot from CD <-- not what you need

Apple-S : boot single user (console)

First run a fsck -y on the hard drive, then you need to mount the volume. It wil actually tell you what to type in as it goes through the text based boot process.

Good luck

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

If your login window is configured to show the username and password fields type ">console" (without the quotes) as the user and leave the password blank. This gets you into console mode.

Small correction, zarathustra, single user mode (Command + S on boot) and console mode (described above) are two different things.

6. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Well aware of it, I only put it in parenthesis, because that's the wording vincentmeanie uses. I wanted to avoid confusion, but it seems there is always somebody stirring the waters.... :p

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Sorry, I'm just a stickler for details. :)

8. vincentmeanie thread starter macrumors newbie

got it, the files went to /users/ first, which was a mistake, they needed to be in my subdir, but it all came out in the end.

much easier than a reload of the os

I did clean up by creating other account and using root access to delete pesky files.....

I couldnt have done it without the info about the template file

I am surprised, no one cared I pulled off a HDD replacement on a ibook 600

9. vniow macrumors G4

I put a 40GB 5400rpm IBM in my clamshell and noone cared either.[​IMG]

10. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Good job, congrats, yippeee - you guys (gals) rock for upgrading your hard-drives!!

There, better?
    ;)