Who's Campin Out For A Nex-Gen?

Discussion in 'Games' started by SamIchi, Oct 30, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Getting my hands on a PS3 is tempting, but I don't know if it's worth it. I'm defnitely want to get a Wii though. I don't know if I need to camp for that, many are saying that it won't seel out. What do you guys think? And does anyone have interesting stories about past camp-outs?

2. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I'm going to my local Wal-Mart about 8 or so to get in line... :D

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I'm assumin' for a Wii? PS3 people will be there, I'd say atleast 12hrs in advance.

4. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Yeah. For a Wii. ;)

I don't have the funs/time/want for a ps3. I've never owned anything sony and videogame related. :D

5. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

The Wii is supposed to be coming out with a pretty decent supply, so you shouldn't need to do too much camping to get one.

6. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm in a tossup whether to get a Wii or a 360. 360 is a bit out of my price range but the graphics look HOT

7. Outsiderdude26 macrumors regular

My roomate and I are skipping classes and going to start camping around 3pm the day before. We are thinking of trying to get two each to sell on ebay later... you know try to pay the bill that way.

8. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I love my 360. Regretted it for a while after I got it last January due to a lack of games, but now, I love it.:)

9. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm strongly considering camping out for both consoles (PS3 and Wii), after seeing how much the pre-orders are selling for :)

11. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I agree with the PS3 to camp out. For the Wii, I'm more on the ropes on how much to camp out. For the pre-orders, focus was on a single location. Say a EBGames or Gamestop, then to Toys R Us. On launch day, it will be everywhere. The fact that it's dispursed gives you a better chance. You have to roll the dice on the likely hood of the units being at different stores. You know that there is going to be a big line at Best Buy, but what about other stores, such as my favorite Target.

I went in and got my Cube the first day there. Also, talk that supply is going to be very good to different stores raises the decreases the chance that you will walk away empty handed.

I was inline at Toys R Us this past weekend. They had 10 Wii's for pre-orders. I got there a little to late. If they had 20 of them, then i would have been fine. But on launch day, everyone is going to have 30+ depending on the store IMO. Best Buy stores are slated to have 90+ per store. Just remember this though, this is all speculation.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No camping out for me. Play are shipping the family a Wii so it's all good. With all the stock at launch I doubt camping will be necessary.

13. smitty330 macrumors member

smitty330

Yea I am definetly going to camp out for a Wii. I called my local Best Buy to ask if they were going to open early or at midnight right when it turns the 19th, and they said they will be opening a little early they said 8:00am most likely but to call back when the lauch gets closer to see if they end up changing that time. SO, my friend and myself are going to camp out it looks like 4-5hours b4 they open but who knows we might go later than that.

-Matt

P.S. I AM SO FREAKIN' EXCITED I CANT WAIT!!!!!!

14. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Nope, I don't care to camp out. No video game is convincing enough to allow me to waste time for that. I prefer to run in, buy, then leave for home.

15. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Same here. :)
    (With my DS and a bunch of other good "time wasters".)

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Would you do it for $1500? Because that's what PS3 preorders are selling for on eBay.

17. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

$1500 for a 30 hour wait? That's about $50 / hour, decent pay but time is still too valuable.

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

By launch day the system might be worth even more than that, as it's just the pre-orders that are going for $1500 :)

19. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I don't plan on camping out. I'll probably walk in the next day… and come out empty handed because all the consoles are going to be up for sale on ebay. :-/

20. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

21. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Same here.

22. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I preordered a wii and a ps3 from my local gamestop and waited about an hour total.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Half an hour here :)

24. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

when i was picking up my copy of FFXII tonight at EB, the manager dude told me that the Sony rep told him to expect 4 to 5 additional shipments of PS3's before xmas. Apparently Sony is gonna bust balls to get as many out there as possible. I wouldn't mind waiting an extra few weeks to get one.

The dude has never lied to me before but ya never know with Sorny.

25. Archmagination macrumors regular

Several factors will decide if I camp out for the Wii or not(PS3 WAY TOO expensive and rare to even attempt it).

1st Factor: How many my 2 local Walmart's get(Regular and a Super) I work for Frito Lay in both of them in the Morning's so I will know how many Wii's they will have received for launch.. I may even be able to have one of them put a Wii away so I can just show up and buy it after I service their stores in the morning.

2nd Factor: I also do a temporary service of those Walmarts in the afternoon-late evening's.. So depending on how many units they get and how many people I see camping out for the Wii I may decide to camp for the next 6 hours until release(Unless of course I can talk someone into putting one away for me)

If my 1st two plans fail than I have my backup plan.. I feel guilty about using it since its unfair.

Backup Plan: I also service the local Target.. all I need to do is service them earlier than I usually do(I usually wait until they open) and after servicing them I could just walk to the electronics section and buy a Wii before the store officially opens. I buy stuff like that all the time and I have already checked with Manager that will be in charge of the Game section.. she will allow it.