Who's from Texas?

Discussion in 'Community' started by G4scott, Feb 17, 2003.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I've noticed quite a few more MacRumors members from Texas than I have in quite some time. If you're from Texas, which part of Texas are you from?

I'll start:

I'm in the hell-hole of Texas, both weather wise and legally. If you haven't guessed I live in the Rio Grande Valley (McAllen to be exact).

I say the hell hole legally because we have one of the worst legal systems in the country. The jurors believe that everybody should get money just because they hurt themselves or something. I know not everybody down here is like that, but those who are most often find them selves with eleven other people like them in a courtroom... There was a suit filed down here by the family of someone killed in the plane crash in Queens after 9-11... That's how bad it is... We have a shortage of doctors because of the amount of malpractice suits. It's just sad.

2. job macrumors 68040

job

I'll continue.

I'm in the Woodlands. It's about an hour north of Houston and is one of the least diverse areas I have ever lived in.

My school is statistically speaking 99% "white." Yes, "white," not caucasian. I am one of 24 Asian-Americans at my school. There are over 4,500 students in 4 grades.

It is high-upper middle class to extreme wealth. Yesterday I saw a $275,000 car sitting in someone's driveway. Numerous multimillion dollar houses are being built all over the place. Lots of golf courses as well.

However, it's a fine place to raise a family with parks, movie theaters, and an absolutly huge mall. Lots of SUVs though. Little crime to speak of with almost no disturbances or issues within the community. A lot of kids do pot and other drugs though, but that's kept under wraps. Rich, bored kids with a lot of money. Go figure.

A lot of people do not know or care about what happens outside in the "real" world. I always joke with my friends that we live in a bubble.

I did live overseas for 6 years which is a colorful and welcome contrast to the Woodlands.

The Woodlands usually has anywhere from 50% to 100% humidity during the summer, with temperatures reaching the low 100s.

The local teenager's idea of fun is to "hang out" at the mall. Shoot me now. I guess I'm a bit jaded having lived in London, but still, can't kids find other things to do?

Sports and the school band are really big here. Our band's budget was so large that they were able to charter a 767 just for themselves. I could go on about our sports stats, but that would just be boring.

Questions? Comments?

3. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

4. job macrumors 68040

job

hey kool man!

i just checked out your site. is that a picture of you in the middle of the main page?

5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

6. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

you talking to me?

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

8. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

umm converse judson?

there is some hella football players there from what i hear. whats in the water over there?!:eek: :D

9. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Texas owns joo!

:p :D

10. charboneau macrumors member

I lived in Austin for a while, just north of the UT campus on Whitis, across from the Masonic dorm.

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I live in Austin. Austin Rocks. Live music capitol of the world baby!

hehe

well, the only thing Austin is lacking is an apple store. :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :p

12. job macrumors 68040

job

yah.

:D

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

wow, that's a nice page! I know this doesn't belong in this thread
    but I just wanted to comment on it. Good Job :D.

14. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

you talking to me too?

thanks if you are. if not then... um thanks anyways! ;)

15. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay. yeah thats me in the middle of the page. thats actually me in nov. of last year. anyways dont mean to hijack this texas thread with my nonsense. thanks for the acknowledgement by the way.

16. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

I'm in Austin too, i go to one of the best high schools in the state.... Westwood. I'm in the International Baccalaureate program there, which is easily 70% asian/asian american. overall, the school has at least a plurality of whites, if not a majority, but there is plenty of so-called "diversity." as a general rule, i like austin culture and despise its weather--too hot in the winter, too hot in the summer.

Krossfyter, where outside corpus are you? my grandparents are in Rockport, and i have friends in Aransas Pass. i went to your site too, that's some awesome work.

17. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

thanks man. thats some of my old school work. definitly not representative of my current paintings of which i am about to embark in. i cant wait to get busy again. anyways... i live in Kingsville ... its about 30 minutes from corpus... a good 20 miles or so. Rockport and Aransas are both nice places to live. I think Rockport is a retirement town... right? I think thats what I have heard... nice place to retire for sure. Well as soon as I get a new batch of paintings together im going to show some of my work in aransas pass. I have some connections there so Im going to see how that works out. I hear aransas is a good place for starting or starving artists. So how often do you come to these parts?

18. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Rockport is definitely a retirement town, just full of very old people. my grandparents like it a lot, though. Rockport's like an hour from corpus though; my grandpa drives there about once a week to go to the Corpus Christi Linux Users Group. hehe, that's where i got my computer enthusiasm, though my grandpa is still on x86. at least he avoids MS.

I don't go down too often. just on certain holidays, pretty much. my dad likes to go fishing there, but i am not much of a fisherman myself.

19. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

20. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

Wow... My dad's a band director, and he has to fight and get parents to fight for the band to be able to go anywhere without the football team. My high school band is that way too. There are a few bands down in the valley that have some money, but not that much.

Our football teams suck, and can't hold a match to any football teams from most other parts of Texas. This is why I think that our band should get more money... You don't need to have huge kids, and you can become better by practicing. They should take money from football and give it to the band. They actually have a better chance of making it to state...

I had cousins that lived in the woodlands. My uncle is a lawyer, and his kids are the worst behaved... His daughter got pregnant at the age of 18, and his son, who is in 7th or 8th grade right now has his ears pierced, is a vegetarian, and goes around calling everybody a '******', even in front of his parents... Many kids from that part of Texas, and also the Dallas/Plano area are very stuck up and horribly behaved. But, that's why Apple has put their only three stores in Texas in those areas- the rich, stuck up areas, where people will buy a computer for their kids to shut them up for a week or so... Go figure...

Anyways, I plan on living in Austin next year at UT. I've been admitted to the college of natural sciences (for computer science) and am pretty much set to go. I just have to get high school out of the way first.

21. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I don't live in Texas, but I bet that you all are having some nice weather down there, right?

22. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    3rd generation texan...both sides.

born and raised in dallas( richardson) and graduated from sfasu.

a beautiful state full of very friendly people.

don't miss the heat and humidity but i do miss the thunderstorms, tex-mex food and the amazing music scene.

enjoyed reading about rockport and port aransas..i had some great spring breaks down there.:D of course, spring break wasn't the wild scene that it is now...isn't rockport the home of the "fighting sand crabs?"...always made me laugh.

if i moved back i'd probably move to the hill country outside of austin...be one of those old guys in an innertube on the guadelupe...:) .

23. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I don't know any steers that can type.:D

24. Santiago macrumors regular

Ah, Westwood, I recall making fun of them on occasion. I'll just note that we had the IB program at Anderson first.:D

I did my undergrad at UT, but these days I'm freezing under two feet snow in Pittsburgh doing my grad work at Carnegie Mellon...

25. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

The weather has been nice the last couple of days. Sunday and Monday, down in deep south Texas, we had temperatures in the 70's and clear and sunny skies. Today was really cloudy, and a bit cooler, but still a nice day for South Texas. What really sucks is the humidity and temperature during the summer. It can be unbearable at times...