Who's going for .Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mmmdreg, Jul 17, 2002.

?

Are you going to pay for .Mac?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

We lose our mac.com email if we don't sign up right?

2. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I'll probably run to hotmail if the email's not free after 75 days

3. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

4. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

nah, dont have the money and $100/year is a lil too much, for that much u'dd expect a domain name also

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

That's just it... I don't NEED .Mac's services! I already have multiple POP3 accounts from various sources, plus 500 megs on my own web site, which I pay practically the same amount for per year that I would for .Mac. Let some poor consumer pay that... not me. :p

6. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

.mac @?!

OK I think .mac is a great idea, but why not let ppl get free email, come on, just email for free! Now i have to cancel my AIM screename, because i dont have that address anymore, this is a real bite in the butt! Why not give use free emial even only 5mb! Come on, this isn't the apple we know and love. But Jaguar looks sweet, i took a video at the macworld show, it is the presentation of 10.2, its 20 minutes long, but its cool, try keepin ur hand staright for that long. I have an hour of MWNY video, i love it whoo! still bites about the email, now i guess i'll trash my mail app because no service can replace my itools... farewell old friend...! DAM my website! and my iDisk! i just thought of those... THIS IS JUST GREAT!:(
    :( :( :( :( :( :eek:

7. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I can't see any real compelling reason to buy .mac. The only thing I used in iTools was homepage and that was just because I liked the mac.com address. As several others have said e-mail is abundant and you can get much better web hosting services for the same price. I hate to say it but I think .mac will implode after 12 months.

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I might consider it.......I get only 1 email address from my ISP and I want a good personal one, hotmail is just spam......but I might have to look into it

9. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

On the plus side, iCards still appear to be free.

10. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

what happens then if i change isp's?

11. compphysics macrumors newbie

I want an IMAP email account

First off .mac for past itools user is $49.95(use itools login). I don't want to use my ISP's email server, because it uses pop3. I check my email with using multiple computers, email programs, and operating systems. Using pop3 would either limit me checking my email from a single machine and program or put a lot of effort into figuring what mail I already read or worse where it got download too.

I'll be waiting until the 75 days are almost up, but probably will pay 49.95 for .mac.

12. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

I probably will use it...

...mainly for HomePage and iDisk. I'm not sure, but I think in the .Mac FAQ's, it says there is a way to just use .Mac e-mail for free. I'll have to check it out again.

13. spuncan macrumors 6502

I've sent my complaint

I among many other users complained via the feedback saying that just free email would be fine. I have come to use iDisk but I can easily live without it and iCards is still free so np there yet a .mac email is very very nice and i like web based email always have. I really do hope they allow u to just use email free let those dopes pay for idisk backup and virex. I also beleive this will fail seeing it is obviously being poopooed already. And like all other Apple products (cube, mactv, hireing sculley) it will end and cause problems for Apple which will slowly heal. Although I will loose my email for a few m onths until it dies I will have np seeing many other replacements are available contradicting SJ's beliefs.

14. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

To clear up any further confusion about .mac e-mail, here it is straight from Apple's site:

Converting your .Mac trial account to an email-only account

IMPORTANT: If you choose to convert your trial account to an email-only account, all your data files on Apple's servers (except for email messages) will be removed. Other .Mac services, such as iDisk, HomePage, Backup, and Virex, are not accessible to email-only accounts.

To convert your trial account to email-only, go to www.mac.com. Click Account in the .Mac menu bar, then click the Email Account Management button. Enter the member name and password of the trial account you'd like to convert, then click Convert.

Print your account information for future reference, then click Continue.

15. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I have.

I might sound like a sellout, but I don't mind paying for a service. In a weird way, if you scour to a free service after .Mac kicks in, you are no better than the companies in the US who get criticized for taking jobs out of the US. Just like Apple, workers in the US want to enjoy job security and a steady stream of income.

You see, if there is an overhead, somebody has to pay.

Also, no one mentions that you get an Antivirus program that (probably) sells for $49.95. And a backup solution - albeit a simple one - but it's better then crossing fingers.

I signed up for the simple reason that mac.com email is IMAP with 15 MB of space. I can move from machine to OS without loosing any messages (unless I want to). $0.02

16. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

good. now all the people b|tching about apple stealing their e-mail can go fly a kite... they can keep their precious e-mail

i will subscribe to .mac because the time my mac has saved me (and the pleasure it has brought to me) is more than worth $100/yr

and they ARE going to add other features to it... so it can only get better (i have a feeling that every iapp will now somehow integrate with .mac and i will love using each app to its potential)

17. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

There's been whole threads on the topic but every .mac thread is people saying they've been complaining to Apple about e-mail. Maybe a mod should post a sticky with instructions on it.

18. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Where exactly do you do this? I'm buying .Mac for my main personal email/homepage account, but I'd like to retain the second one for purchases, mailing lists, etc. I can't seem to find the "Email Account Management" button. Am I blind? Where did you get these directions?

19. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

um...er...there is no "email account management" button.

20. vitruvius macrumors regular

.mac catarsis

i put this in other thread but since there are several threads on this subject i put it again here:

im not so versed in Web Bussiness and Web Hosting, and even i can Design any stuff imaginable , i still dont know how to build a webpage (i know its insanely easy, but i dont have the time to improve my knowledge in that direction) so, 5 months ago having a webpage with all my work in it was an inimaginable dream, as soon as i get in to Itools i built my page in less than 3 hours , and i just put my works all was pre designed ( nicely and hi-quality design i must say) and have a BackUp of my most important work, so Itools had help me a lot without increase my Stress level a bit, probably i can find some services on the Web on similar bases and for less money but i doubt that they will be nice designed and conceived as itools -.mac-( same as my mac hardware) im not B-tching cause they are charging me 100$ for an email acc. ( in fact probably think that the solely email acc. will remain free) they charging that for all the seamless integration with OSX and probably some months ahead they will keep improoving that interconectivity with other nice services as Internet and technology evolves. im betting on things that will come on the future. and besides that they keep giving my such nice free apps (where do u think the money come from for those things?).

so , this are my first thoughs on the .mac thing , maybe the MacWorld is too close to think clearly ,and after hear some comments here maybe i can change my ideas a bit, but right now im inclined to pay 50 bucks for a year to see what happens ( one year in computer years is an eternity, maybe the hell freezes or Hotmail becomes a pay service) probably i will not go for 100$ charge next year ( the antivirus and the other things seems cool for that price, but i dont get why they will charge me a brand new copy of Virex and backup software every Year) but as a i said i want to see what happen in the future, and i preffer to stay this side of the Apple.

so heres my little catarsis and my two cents

21. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

No idea why the button isn't there. My guess is that Apple is updating their servers or something. I got the instructions from the .mac help section under Desktop Mail heading. It's the last entry on the list.

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

i've never used the @mac.com mail account, I've just used the free diskspace for pics and movies, so I'll end up reverting to my websites and find some other way to deal with the bandwidth issues. its unfortunate, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

D

23. daveyt macrumors newbie

Hi. long time lurker, first time poster. Anyway, the only feature of iTools I used was the e-mail account. @mac.com is pretty cool in windows centric world. I used it to force open some closed minds. As for paying $100 US (what, like $150-$160 CDN!??) for an e-mail account, I don't think so. I've already got three through my ISP and then there's Hotmail, too. Some of the .Mac services do look pretty sweet, but I don't need, or am not currently inclined, to use them. That may change and I'll re-evaluate then, I guess. I'd love to support Apple, but the price is a bit rich. You can be sure I'm going to try and keep the e-mail though. Looks like I'll be joining the masses looking for the Email Account Management button...

24. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Oh well, FTP was always faster then iDisk anyway.

25. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

That's good...I used that a bit before and it's good to have a few simple icards in easy reach...now for my email..i have hotmail for MSN but I don't use the actual email as I'd rather use a mail client than a browser...so that takes me to 1 email..my isp..which is too stingy to give any more for free...who does good quality email without junkmail for free with access from mail clients?