Who's going to see DOOM?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Demon Hunter, Oct 22, 2005.

1. macrumors 68020

2. macrumors 604

Lacero

Trailer looks good. The lead actor played the bad guy in The Bourne Supremacy.

3. macrumors 68020

Yeah. It's disappointing that the monsters aren't from "Hell" so to speak, but I guess that would make it more of a horror film.

4. macrumors Core

it certianly doesnt look like the best script, but does look fun! i hope to get a chance to go soon!

5. macrumors 68030

homerjward

i was supposed to go to day but my parents arent letting me see it because of its rating...and i'm 15 so i cant go see it anyway...ill prolly download it i guess if i can find it

6. macrumors 68000

I'm going, but I know the IT guy at the company that did their advertising, and he says it's **** :p

7. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I thought it was [expletive deleted] awesome.

8. macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Reviews so far are saying its the worst video game to movie adaptation - ever. Yes, even worse than Super Mario Bros. I think i'll pass.

9. macrumors 68030

LOL Damn that's funny! The worst game-to-movie experience I've had was House of the Dead in theaters. *shivers*

10. iDM
    macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Well now you got me interested what would be considered the best one? I saw Resident Evil and I played the game a bunch. I still liked the game better for PS, one of the few games that literally scared the **** out of me on multiple occasions. (Anyone remember first walking down that one hallway in the mansion and the dogs jump through the windows?? I nearly **** myself)

I saw an interview with "The Rock" and he was surprisingly funny cool and down to earth or so it seemed. I just assumed he was a tool.

11. macrumors 68030

My favorite game-to-movie translation would definitely have to be Resident Evil. The acting was a little off, but I definitely enjoyed it more than I did House of the Dead. What a horrible movie... but yeah, cool movies: both RE and RE:A.

12. macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I saw it last night and all I can say is the movie is like only getting 1/2 way through the game. I wish there were more of the larger creatures in it but I still enjoyed it (best was first person shooting and the BFG).
    Can I get a whooooraaahhh!

13. macrumors Core

Dagless

not me. I dont see many films unless they're really good and the last 8 or so American films i've seen have not interested me one bit, turning me away from Hollywood films actually.

That film can stick its 2 and a half minutes of faux acting and their 2 hours of effects where the sun.. um.. dont shine?
    actually i think i'll watch That'll be the Day later.

14. macrumors 68000

Resident Evil was better than a load of movies, and by far the best of any game movies

15. macrumors 6502

making a movie based on a game that was nothing more than a technology testbed? nice move. The trailer looks pretty stupid too

16. macrumors 68020

Huh? IGN gave it a 3/5... that being said, those who expect great plot/characterization either don't understand the Doom franchise or can't appreciate a live-action BFG. :)

And there is nothing worse than "Super Mario Bros."

17. macrumors 604

clayj

Well... Karl Urban ain't exactly the lead in this movie... that "honor" belongs to Dwayne Johnson, a.k.a. The Rock.

The only reason I am even thinking about seeing this movie is to see Rosamund Pike. <rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr>

18. macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Rotten Tomatoes gave it a solid 19%. :rolleyes:

Edit: Is this edit feature new? It use to open up a whole new page, now I can edit right in the post already on the thread. Just noticed it pretty nifty!

19. macrumors 68020

I go there for all my movie reviews. :rolleyes:

Yeah it is, they just upgraded the forum software.

20. macrumors Core

Dagless

heh maybe its just the people i know but the guys at university go ape over this film. I've always liked it. remember when I was like 5 or something, read in a Nintendo magazine that there was to be a Mario film and I remember asking my dad "why do films take so long? they're only short!"
    :)

21. macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

I may be going to see this tonight any one actually SEEN it and can say yes or no?

22. macrumors 604

Lacero

Nothing worse? How about Ron Jeremy as Mario. *shudders*

Attached Files:

23. macrumors regular

fklehman

ROTFL...I can only dimly remember the SMB movie, and it was BAD. At least Doom has chainsaws and little crawly hell critters in it. I actually don't know much about the original Doom, I only played Doom II on my PowerMac 7100/80 back in the day (ran pretty good). I take it the plot of the original was pretty similar? I may rent the movie, because the only un-trashy cinema around here is a Regal that charges $9.25. Regal can stuff it unless the film in question fulfilss two criteria: A) it looks really good, and B) it's the kind of movie you really need to see in the theatre.

Last 3 movies I saw at the cinema:

1) The Aristocrats (was an exception to the rules b/c it was only $5 at a university film festival)
    2) War of the Worlds
    3) Star Wars: Episode III

24. macrumors G4

dmw007

I want to go see it- loved the game!

25. Moderator emeritus

I don't think so. When the local people give 2 stars to really bad films and this one got half a star, it's not worth even $6.50. Perhaps, I'll see it when it's in the bargain DVDs at Best Buy or Wal-Mart.