Who's going to walk in store to buy their iBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MUCKYFINGERS, Jul 27, 2005.

1. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

There's an Apple store in Sac, so once the store gets their iBooks in (by the end of the week), I'm plunking down the cash and getting the 14" iBook w/Superdrive. ahhhhh, i cant waaaaaait =)

Anyone else goin to buy it in store? Or already has? and what's the ship time for the iBooks to come to your store?

2. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Ordering mine over the phone. TAX FREE HOLIDAY!!!!!! I won't see it for two weeks though since it has to be delivered to GA in order to get the discount, :(

3. illegal amigo macrumors member

I was going to buy it in the store (the store by me has them already) but they don't have the printer I wanted that the online apple store does. I'd have to buy the printer with the iBook to get it for free, so I had to order online.

Good things come to those who wait.

4. davidcb13 macrumors member

Do you think they will have them in store by tomorrow?

5. paperinacup macrumors 6502

My store (Rancho Cucamonga) said they would have them in tomorrow or Friday.

6. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Thinking about it. Yorkdale/Toronto store gets them Friday or Saturday. They are going to call me when they get in (nice).

Still toying with getting 12" standard config, or upping the hd. Kinda wanted to avoid bto. Maybe I'll just update the HD latter.....

7. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

The buggers at the Apple store in Sac won't call me when it comes in. I asked them to and they said, "No, we don't do that."

8. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

9. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Buggers.
    I didnt even think to ask....when I called in to see if they had them, she just offered to take my name and # and call me when they get in......rather pleasant about the whole thing :)

10. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I ordered mine last night.
    3-5 days (August 3rd :eek: ) plus 1-3 day shipping

11. Malachi macrumors newbie

Malachi

Aren't Canadians nice...

I'm thinking of getting a 12" myself but holding back because of the SD (or lack of). Only 2 hours from Yorkdale/Toronto Apple store so I guess I have a few days to decide.

What are people's thoughts on the next PowerBook updates?

12. xrayzed macrumors member

And so it begins... ;)

13. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I was in the Apple Store in Austin yesterday. They said today or tomorrow for the iBooks also. My sister didn't think the update was significant enough to wait for the new iBooks so she bought the last model for $849 w/ student discount.

Personally, I'd have waited for the new ones. Then again, I would've got a PB instead.

14. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I don't see why it wouldn't go a couple hundred over $700. Solid system right there. Good luck.

....Although all that caps lock is pretty annoying. :)

15. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Yes! It came in store tonight. I'm going to pick it up.

It's finally over. The dreaded wait is finally over.

16. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Cool. Send some pics and feedback when you get it.

17. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I was going to buy it at the store but I just thought the 40GB hard drive would kill me so a went BTO and got the 80GB.

18. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

I'm debating whether to get the upgraded hard drive or buy it in store. If i upgrade the HD I gotta wait a good few days, Yorkdale employees told me they were expecting their shipment today, so I can go Friday and pick up the stock. Then maybe buy a 60 GB External sometime later.

Ahh the choices.

19. Gmac07 macrumors member

I just got back from the Menlo Park store in Edison NJ, they had them but not on display. The guy said that the new ibooks are identical in looks to the old ones. And since i never seen a ibook in person, i was a tad bit disappointed with the display. I went there looking to walk away with a brand new ibook, but i got a little scared and decided to wait a little bit more. I just cant make up my mind if i should just wait a save for a powerbook or just get the damn ibook now. The only things that are holding me back are the performance in video editing and hooking up a 19" LCD. Should i quit hesitating and just buy the damn thing, or am i gonna be disappointed

20. wide macrumors 6502a

Is there no possible way to get the 12" with SuperDrive? I need it and I really, really don't want to have to get the 14" book.

EDIT: the reason I want superdrive is b/c I would like to start movie editing. I have lots of old mini dv tapes lying around that I want to port onto my computer and burn to a DVD. will the ibook's 32 MB VRAM be sufficient in that process?

thanks for any suggestions!

21. Vster macrumors 6502

Picked up NEW iBook!

Just finished updating and installing MS Office and other minor stuff for my wife. I'm going to go get mine tomorrow since I like it so much. Very nice!

22. gwimby macrumors member

I don't know that apple will instal a superdrive for you (?),
    theres no physical reason that a 12" ibook can't have one.
    Many have put them in themselves, or you could contact a
    certified tech like http://www.macservice.com/index.htm
    to have one installed. For video a 5400rpm or 7200rpm
    hard drive would be a GREAT idea.

If you are wary of having it upgraded then a 12" PB would
    be a easier path.

23. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I called my Apple store yesterday and they had them in. The only thing was that my dad could not take me that day to get it. He'll probably be able to take me today, he said, but do you think that they will still have the iBooks in stock? I called around 4:00 when they said they had them, ans that's about the time I would go today. Could they possibly sell out that fast, what do you guys think?

24. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I think they will probably still have them for a couple days, they arent like iPod's which fly off the shelf when released...

SHAdOW

25. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I thought so, but I just wanted to have some reassurance. Thanks, shadowmoses.