Who's going to win the Superbowl?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ChicagoMac, Jan 23, 2003.

1. ChicagoMac macrumors regular

We, on this site, seem to be able to predict so many things, why not the winner of the Superbowl? Who is going to win and why?

BTW, I really could care less who wins, but it's a sure way to start a conversation. :D I've walked in to rooms where nobody was saying much and I say something like, "hey, what about that game last night?" It always works. Usually I have no idea if there even was a game. Amazing how we become so emotionally attached to something we have nothing to do with.

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

tampa bay by 7 because while both teams have a good offense, tampa bay has an amazing defense

tampa's coach, jon gruden, built the raiders to where they are right now and he has the edge of knowing his opponent

tampa's qb brad johnson reminds me of a strong qb like the way favre and aikman used to be in their absolute prime

and speaking about prime, legendary players like brown, rice, woodson, romanowski, and gannon (all raiders and the heart of the team) are all over 35 years old and are not at their physical peak in each of their heydey

i want to see the raider's jerry rice get a 4th ring for his finger at age 40 and see the raider's tim brown get his first ring...in his late-30s:D

3. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

4. ecino1 macrumors member

Tampa Bay for sure. Both teams have superb defence, but I think Tampa will prevail. I'll take Tampa by 10.

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

hey raider nation!

anybody think oakland can pull this one off?

while i say tampa by 7, i can see tampa by only one point also

overall, it won't be a massacre of oakland

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

oakland raiders (afc) vs tampa bay bucs (nfc)

7. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i had no idea the superbowl was around the corner. shows you how much i keep up with sports. i think ill watch it for the commercials like i usually do if i do watch it. i'd much rather watch a documentary on the chupacabra!

8. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

If Tampa can pressure Gannon and force his accuracy to drop, they win. If Oakland protects Gannon or Gannon has a good day despite pressure, they win.

I don't think either team will be able to run the ball much. The key will be how well Tampa's defense shuts down Oakland. If Oakland puts up 20+ points on the board, I can't see Tampa winning.

My prediction: Either -- Tampa 21 - Oakland 10, or Tampa 17 - Oakland 37

9. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I agree with mcrain. I also think that the key is going to be if Oakland can stop Rice and Sapp. That is going to be the game. They get pressure and hit Gannon, forget it. That game will be over. Also, watch for Allstott to run all over Oaklands defense.

10. 3777 macrumors 6502

I think Gannon will play a great game and definitely put a couple of drives together at least, and I do like Tim Brown and Jerry Rice........but I'll probably be rooting for Tampa. (Especially if it's close, which I think it will be) The Raiders already have some champoinships, this is Tampa's first Superbowl, and how can you not root for chucky.:D

It will be a different story next year, when Jay Fiedlers in the Superbowl:eek:

Attached Files:

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you're referring to gruden right?

how come they call him chucky? i have heard it before but never understood....

12. 3777 macrumors 6502

You have to watch the movie Childs Play, and look at the faces the chucky doll makes, then during the Superbowl....watch ......Chucky..... on the sidelines :D

13. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ahh. i've seen child's play... i see now.

so this is a pretty well known thing then? who started it?

15. 3777 macrumors 6502

I think some of the Raider players, but during the games he looks so much like the chucky doll it's scary actually.:D

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The best team will win, or the one with the fewest errors!

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

oakland, in their passion to win, will definitely cause more errors and it will cost them dearly

but on this year, for the firs time in two decades, they have enough skills and experience to counteract the stupid penalties they often seem to rack up more than anybody else in the nfl

with the raiders, its always three steps forward and two steps back and they end up still pulling off wins...despite three decades of blowing superbowl chances more than any team in history

with their forty year win loss record, they should have six superbowl rings...or more

no team has won more in the regular season in football, or any sport, more than the raiders

teams with much less impressive records like the steelers, cowboys, and the 49ers have more superbowl rings than the raiders

and the lesser green bay packers and washington redskins have as many superbowl rings as the raiders

so it won't be the penalties that kill this year's raiders, it will be that that are the choke artists of all time in the playoffs...they have been to the playoffs 21 times since the superbowl era and have only three rings to show for it

that is one in seven

the raiders choke reflex is why i give it to the titans in a low scoring, close game

18. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i wouldn't say the packers are "lesser"... and i'm not sure about the redskins... the raiders "bad" years are basically not as bad... it's not like they have always dominated, year after year, and choked come playoff time... they've just had very few terrible years.

the titans are gonna win?

i'll take that bet! ;)

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

as for win loss record, the raiders are the best in football...or any sport in america...the baltimore orioles have the next best record and may have possibly surpassed the raiders during their funky time in the 90s

the raiders don't have that many poor regular seasons and they have made the playoffs 21 times...maybe the cowboys and niners have also or pretty darn close, but those two teams have five rings each

oakland, if they win, will get their 4th ring, and with their 3rd ring having been put on their fingers in january 84, nearly 20 years ago...sad, but true

the raiders invented choke

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

can you post these win/loss records?

i've never come across "all time records"... thanks

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

last time i checked, the raiders had an all time .569 record with the orioles of baseball just behind...in 2001

with coach john madden in the 70s, the raiders had an astounding .750 record in ten years...amazing, but only one ring

22. 3777 macrumors 6502

Again...... nobody chokes like my Miami Dolphins:cool:

23. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay football/sports junkies...

if oakland wins will there be a riot in the city?

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

every team has a riot after a win...the local bay area press likes to do stories on oakland...especially because of all the shootings recenetly