Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lonelemur90

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2006
New Jersey
i badly need a new imac or macbook to replace my 5 year old piece of crap PC. im waiting for the next revision. there definitely isnt gonna be a woodcrest in the imac. its a workstation chip, they wont put it in their average desktop. i would place my money on the conroe it makes sense. mac pro-woodcrest... imac-conroe... mac mini-merom...

glennsan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Midwest USA
New iMac with Next Revision

I am thinking long and hard about it for sure. I have a 5 year old DP 533 that believe it or not still does pretty much all I need to do but the thought of BootCamp and Parallels Desktop is exciting to an old System Analyst such as myself. It will be hard to let the old girl go but some friends of mine will be very happy with it as they just went through a long and miserable week putting a DVD together on Windows. As I told them how easy it was with the Mac they could not believe it.

Here's to next Tuesday and the following where if the 23" has dual hard drives I think I'll be picking one up.:)

Glennsan

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Caitlyn said:
I was planning to buy a 23" ACD...I wanna wait and see the price of the 23" iMac. If it's only a few hundred more, maybe I'll spring. Who knows? :rolleyes:

There have been rumors or a 23" iMac since the first 20" was created.

This may be nothing more than wishful thinking, but there would certainly be a demand if Apple can manage to keep the price reasonable.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I was going to, but with university classes starting on the 20th of September and a 3 hour round trip bus ride every day with about two hours of sitting around between classes...I think I'm gonna grab a MacBook instead, as much as I desperately want to replace my Windows PC :(

I want the next rev iMac badly though.

I'm going to have to hope for Merom, faster Yonahs, or a price drop (coinciding with Yonah's price drop) before MacExpo Paris ends.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
Since your eventual goal is to have both the portablility on a Mac Book and the
power of an iMac too, I'd go for a refurb Mac Book 2.0 GHz adding 2 GB RAM ASAP.

The newest iMacs may be attractive, but a few months in the wild will allow them
to prove themselves.

Having both is a great plan.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
I plan to get one with a matching size ACD. If the 23" comes out, I hope it has HD capabilites to go with the HD 23" ACD. If it doesn't, would it be easy to tell that the iMac doesn't have HD, but the Cinema Display does? They're going to be right next to each other, of course.

Daniel.

dondark

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
I just want a small Mac Book Pro to carry around , ideally 10.6" and buy a 23" LCD at home.

j-huskisson

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2006
Nottingham, England
amin said:
We're so close to a rev, it would be a shame if yours shipped now with the current rev. Can you cancel and wait a bit?

After 4 weeks of waiting for my order - recieving a current rev and everyone else recieving a new rev would be a kick in the face.

I could cancel my order, but there's a £250 deposit at stake

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
bob5820 said:
Woodcrest in the iMac is not going to happen. Remember Woodcrest requires a different chipset then Conroe/Merom/Yonah. It also requires FB-DIMM memory.

We know that Yonah and Merom are supposed to be pin compatible, but I'm not at all clear on whether Conroe and Woodcrest will be able to use the same logic board.

IF... Conroes use the same logic board as Woodcrest, then either one may require FB ECC RAM.

Otherwise, there might be an individual consumer grade Conroe logic board that
would not be pin compatible with Yonah/ Merom or Woodcrest.

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
FFTT said:
We know that Yonah and Merom are supposed to be pin compatible, but I'm not at all clear on whether Conroe and Woodcrest will be able to use the same logic board.

IF... Conroes use the same logic board as Woodcrest, then either one may require FB ECC RAM.

Otherwise, there might be an individual consumer grade Conroe logic board that
would not be pin compatible with Yonah/ Merom or Woodcrest.
Conroes use the same chipset as Yonah/Merom, Woodcrest does not. Also I beleive that Woodcrest has a different pin count then Yonah/Conroe/Merom

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
I couldn't find a definitive answer on the Conroe's logic board compatibility.

I would hate to see a crippled semi-pro configuration like the 4 DIMM 1.8 and Rev C 2.0 PowerMac G5's, but it could be a possibility.

Since Apple will want to keep the prices down on iMacs, any requirment for FB ECC RAM would be inconvenient to say the least.

At least until FB ECC RAM goes mainstream and the prices drop.

This should prove to be an interesting revision.

With Core Duo 2 processors and a decent video card, you already have an iMac AOI that competes quite honorably with my Pro 8 DIMM DP 2.0 G5.

One blessing in the court of a 23" iMac would be 4 DIMM slots, allowing the
user to upgrade to 4-8 GB RAM. 4GB RAM would be plenty enough to handle most Pro applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.