Who's gonna watch the World Cup Cricket?

Discussion in 'Community' started by kiwi_the_iwik, Feb 9, 2003.

1. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

As a very staunch follower of the "Great Game", I want to know who of you are going to follow the matches...

...the first one is South Africa Vs. West Indies in 20 minutes (I predict South Africa to win the match - but I predict my home country of New Zealand to lift the crown. We've got a great team - and we've got a brilliant chance this time round...).

For the teams, stats and real-time commentary, go to:

www.cricinfo.org

HAPPY VIEWING!!!
    (God, I'm excited...)

:D

2. losfp macrumors regular

C'arn the Aussies! :)

Though one-day cricket is a funny old game.. you lose a few quick wickets and suddenly anyone can win. My biased view says we will win, though not without a few scares. Other possibles are South Africa and, yes, New Zealand.

Bring it on.

3. kiwi_the_iwik thread starter macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Well - the way the West Indies are playing, they probably won't even make 3 figures...

...first run in the 4th over!

LOL! :D

4. James.Paul macrumors regular

At least they might turn up for all their matches!!!!!

5. richie macrumors member

^^ haha!

Yeah, Australia should win it... though SA looks strong, and New Zealand are definitely up there. I just wish Channel 9 in Australia were showing the Australia v. Holland match, that'll be awesome :D

6. kiwi_the_iwik thread starter macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Jeez - I'm sure England are getting all of those death threats in Zimbabwe not because of the political climate there, but because they're playing so badly!

If they played, they'd put the game into disrepute...

He! He! He!

Update:

Lara got his century. Bloody brilliant!

198/3 from 43 Overs

Lara 109
    Hooper 40

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The scariest thing is I have absolutely no idea what you all are going on about. Never played or watched Cricket - but there is a group who play regularly here in DC, on the fields just south of the Mall along the Potomac. Saw them setting up on my way to Ultimate, all in white outfits. :)

D

8. kiwi_the_iwik thread starter macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Hey duke -

Mate, get into it. What a fantastic game...

If you want the rules, you're best to go to the cricinfo website - they're not that difficult to understand. I hear that the Americans have a team, too (but not in the World Cup - Canada's playing, though, but I don't fancy their chances!).

Basically, though, it's sort of like Baseball - except:

*There's no diamond, just a 22 yard runway called a "pitch" in the middle of the field - usually circular - with 3 "wickets", or "stumps"(like sticks in the ground), at each end of the pitch.

*The batsman's job is to prevent the ball from hitting the stumps and dislodging the 2 little sticks, or "bails" balanced on top of the stumps, or to be caught out in the process, whilst standing at his crease (like a batter's plate).

*The ball is delivered in an over-arm windmill fashion by the bowler (what you'd call pitcher), who runs up towards the stumps at the far end of the pitch, releasing the ball (NOT throwing, but bowling - usually with a bit of spin and a great deal of pace) towards the batsman facing him as he reaches the crease. His job is to get the ball past the batsman and hit his stumps.

*The ball is as hard as concrete and travels towards you at @ 100km/h (and would probably, in all likelihood, kill you if it hit at that speed!).

*There are 2 batsmen on the field at once. They stand at opposite ends of the pitch, behind their repective creases.

*To score a run, they both have to run down the pitch after the ball has been hit away - but only if they both judge that they can get a run from it, and not get out. Each batsman "crosses", or runs past each other, until they reach their opposing creases. That is called 1 run. If they turn and run back (they BOTH need to do that at the same time), that's called 2 runs - and so on. They can stop running at any time, as long as they end up behind a crease.

*The batsmen can make more runs by hitting the ball over the boundary rope - the area around the edge of the ground. If it bounces before it reaches the boundary, it's worth 4 runs. If it goes over on the full, it's worth 6 runs (they look spectacularly like home runs!). Scores of around 250 are not uncommon...

*Two batsmen cannot occupy the same crease - just like 2 batters can't occupy the same plate. (and they can stay there all day if they don't get out... without getting a toilet break, either!).

The One-Day matches are the best - a great atmosphere, and the players all wear their national uniforms in different colours. And, unlike the 5-day Tests, you get a result in a day (50 overs each side, 6 balls per over = 300 deliveries, without extras: i.e. wides and no-balls). Each side has a chance to make as many runs as possible in the alotted overs, but they only have 11 players to do it. When the batting team loses 10 wickets - when 10 players get out - (regardless of how many overs have been bowled), the other side has a go at beating the score in their 50 overs...

Damn - I'm going thru the rules without even planning to. I'll be here forever if I did that!

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

In reference to this post, I can Honestly say not ONE person i know will be watching!

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

As far as I'm concerned, the best team sport is Ultimate Frisbee. Best workout you can get, running continually, no standing around ;)

And it only costs you a few bucks for equipment, $7 for a good Disc Craft frisbee (Ultimate players only real choice, Whamo's are no good, don't fly as well) and maybe some cleats.

D

11. 3777 macrumors 6502

I myself am thankful I don't know what the hell they're talking about:eek: I'll be watching the Daytona 500 next weekend thank you very much:eek: ..................:cool:

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

same here, well, I don't know what they are talking about but I
    am not gunna watch the daytona 500. I prefer more mainstream
    sports, with an exception for diving. ;)

13. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I don't know much about cricket either.

The Daytona 500 is next weekend?

14. 3777 macrumors 6502

Next weekend!!!:D

15. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Don't mean to be getting off subject, but I will probably watch part of it. I didn't realize that it was next weekend.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

YOU BET!LOVE IT LOVE IT! Just another REDNECK I GUESS saying whats a cricket? Oh yea its like a grasshopper!

17. kiwi_the_iwik thread starter macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Well, guys - I'm deeply touched at your thought-provoking input to this thread.

You really don't know what you're missing.

The South Africa Vs. West Indies match was a real nail-biter and went down to the wire. And, the WINDIES WON! Well, my prediction was 100% wrong.

Let's hope I'm not wrong for tomorrow's match @ 8:00am GMT - Sri Lanka Vs. New Zealand.

We shall be victorious! :D

Go New Zealand!

18. losfp macrumors regular

yeah, the windies really came back - when I woke up there were 4 balls to go and I was amazed that RSA needed 8 off 4!

Oh, and I'll have to disagree with you on test vs one day cricket, iwik! Test cricket is the real thing, the pajama game caters to the masses with short attention spans. :) I still enjoy both, but ODIs are more a diversion that I keep an interest with, whereas I really CARE about the test results :D

Mind you, I will concede that cricket is a hard game to understand, especially test matches. There's just so much depth to the tactics and strategy that it's difficult to enjoy if you're not on top of it.

Funny thing is my mother is into it now. Very funny, watching a middle-aged Asian woman screaming at the TV when Steve Waugh is dismissed :D (Okay, slight exaggeration!)

19. 3777 macrumors 6502

Excuse me sir, could you please stay on topic, this thread is about the Daytona 500:eek:

20. 3777 macrumors 6502

I'll pretend I didn't hear that sir:eek:

21. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I saw the start of it before I went to bed, and the end of it when I got up. Great finish.

I'll be watching all the cricket I can. Mmm... six weeks of cricket... yummm...

I read a "ten reasons we love the cricket world cup" in the paper the other day. One of the reasons went something like "becuase we get to watch not-so-good teams try their hearts out, like Canada, Holland and England." :)

22. kiwi_the_iwik thread starter macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

England, yeah...

What the HELL are their selectors thinking? Their players all old and decrepid (take for instance Alec Stewart - you can't tell me there's not a younger wicketkeeper available in a country of 62 million)...

Never mind - NZ's bowling first against Sri Lanka. I've got the day off - I'm taking the little guy to nursery (he likes to see his little friends), and I'm parking myself in front of the tube for 8 hours...

...bliss.

At least for this World Cup, we've only a 2 hour time difference!

23. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

probably younger keepers but alex is still playing well. sri lanka have a fit muri bowling.....look out. always enjoy to see the seth effricens get beat. i'll be keen to see shoab and akram bowling against australia. you can never tell how pakistan will play. the netherlands could cause an upset.....nz/west indies/pakistan/australia are my tips for the last 4. a nz Vs australia final would be great for underarm bowling and sheep jokes. kiwi you have posted in the past re your son playing for australia. can you get me a few tickets for the new years test at the SCG 2026?:D
    australia vs iran....iran should have full test status by then......i think it's interesting that cricket is spreading through that part of the world.

24. kiwi_the_iwik thread starter macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Sure - I'll get you tickets. You'll have to sit in the Members Stand though (so you gotta wear a tie... :D). I still hope he plays for New Zealand...

All I can say is - the more countries, the merrier. How can we call it a World Cup when there's so few test nations out there? At least the Rugby World Cup has literally dozens of countries involved. It's just a matter of time...

Dare I say it - even the US has a team. If only they had more support at home, they'd be contenders (probably by 2026!).

Back to the current match -

It looks like NZ's got its work cut out for it - Sri Lanka are 213/4 in the 39th over - a couple more quick wickets might make the difference. Jayasuriya hit a fantastic century - a great captain's knock.

I reckon Daniel Vettori should've been included in the lineup - a great spin bowler. Didn't they even think that Sri Lanka were bound to include Murilitharan?

:mad: