Who's Got a Power Mac G5 Dual 2Ghz (rev 1)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Cooknn, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

It's been about 2 years now and the Power Mac G5 Dual 2Ghz (rev 1) is still a SWEET machine. I have no reason to upgrade until the x86 Power Mac's (or whatever they'll be called) are released. Another 2 years? No problem :eek:

You know what else? It's still as fast as it was the day I bought it. Nice. Do you have one? Are you going to hang on to it for a while longer or are you going to jump into a newer box if they release Dual Cores in September? Stand up and be counted :p

2. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

3. Sox macrumors regular

4. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

i've got a rev.B 2.0, and i still LOVE it. i'd say it is as fast as the day i got it as well, but that has only been 8 months.

still i don't feel the need to buy a new box. this one still has MUCH life left in it!

5. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

I got the last rev 2GHz and it will last me ages after the x86 machines have been introduced. :)

6. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

same here :)

7. macorama macrumors regular

For sure, when even a 1.8GHz iMac is sweet, a Dual 2GHz Powermac has got a long life ahead of it.

8. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Hmmm. I may have stated my thread title incorrectly. Would a rev 1 be the first batch or the first revision? :eek: I bought my first Mac from the first batch of Power Mac G5's :p

9. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I have the dual 1.8 rev.1 and it still flies. Sometimes have the beachball going, but most of the time nothing to worry about.

10. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

I'm one of the happy owners of a rev. A dual 2 Ghz G5! And I agree, it still flies! When it comes to the processors and it's power I'm completely satisfied, and I'm sure I'll keep this computer for a long time. I haven't upgraded the graphics card yet, and it's still a 9600 Pro 64 MB that was standard in this configuration at that time. It's probably the only hardware in the whole Mac that slows things down at times.

The MacTel computers better be really good and really fast for me to upgrade anytime soon. :)

11. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Got a rev b dual 2ghz from apples store a few months ago for $1599 and it is just barely slower than the 2.5ghz G5 I returned. Very happy with it and you can't beat the deal. With the money I saved I was able to load it up with hard drives, ram and an X800xt video card.

12. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I got the G5 when it first came out. Great machine - can't believe the longetivity of it.

Bit of a bummer actually because I like getting a new computer every year, but just can't justify it
    :)

13. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I've got the same graphics card, and sometime soon I want to upgrade that to an ATI Radeon X800 XT and my memory to 2GB. I just have other expenses that stay higher on the priority list :eek:

14. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I ordered a refurb dual 2ghz rev b and it came in DOA, now Apple doesn't have one to give me so I'm SOL. They say that it will ship "within the next 2 weeks." Whatever. If they don't have one by then I'm going to request a refurb 2.3ghz so I can still have the awesome motherboard.

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Same here, I would like to up my ram (to 3GB) and slap in a new ATI Radeon X800 XT but I need to save up more cash first.

16. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Got some other priorities to spend money on than the G5 at the moment. Allthough I've upgraded the RAM as much as I'll ever need (3.5 GB). It's perfect for both heavy graphics and music work with a lot of software plugins.

The graphics card is probably the only thing I need to upgrade for maybe a couple of years. :)