Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wake up Jobs!!!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2002
Miami, Florida
Hi again , I am getting palm zire , and I was wondering, who here owns a palm pilot and or a zire, and what programs do you have on it. also, what about ebooks on a palm zire. does anyone use ebooks?
Also what games do work on the palm zire , i know games like simcity and lemings do, but what else if anything. what do you think of your palmpilots, doo you like them and find them a nessesity in your everyday lives?

Thanks,
-GaBe-O

Who

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
The bad thing is, it's pricey. Other manufacturers offer more bang for the buck. The Zire only has 2MB of RAM and no backlit display. It does look pretty sleek, though.

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
i've got a zire, but i haven't got into games for it...
it's a great looking gadget though. they're obviously taking tips from apple.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
I bought one for my girlfriend for christmas....I know there is a Streetfinder program for it which I may pick up....

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I own a Palm. I carry a lot of conversion tables and chemical formula related programs on it. The Zire looks pretty slick, I would go for it.

brogers

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
I have a Palm m515. I sync it with Palm Desktop at work on my Dell and at home with Palm Desktop on my iMac 800. It is a great peice of equipment if you understand that it is an extension or your computer and not a handheld computer on its own. I have no games, but I do have Doc To Go which allows me to view/change/create word and excel docs. Works great. I also have a photo program that allows me to put pictures on it too. I like the expansion slot as well. I have a 16 meg card that I store the pictures on, a dictionary and the Bible. Another great program is AvantGo. Everytime I sync, it updates the channels I have selected and I can grab some quick news stories when I'm out of the office. I would recomend one.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
I've read like 25 ebooks on my palm m505. People say that the m505's screen sucks, but it's pretty good. Get a program called Avantgo--it lets you download news channels like The New York Times, The Wallstreet Journal, CNN, etc for offline browsing automatically. It updates by itself every time you sync. If you splurge and get a better palm, you can load dictionaries and thesauri on it too.

You won't believe how useful that is in increasing your vocabulary.

The games are kinda cheesy tho--mostly old school arcade games, rpgs and puzzle stuff. You can get a gameboy emulator that works pretty well, except for the fact that the sound isn't good and it eats up batterylife.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Avoid the Zire!!

I recently ( two days ago ) bought a m515 ( I think ) from CompUSA for $79 ( on sale, normally $99). This unit has 8MB of memory.

I plan on giving this to my daughter. I personally have a Handspring with 8 MB of memory, and I have a couple of games loaded on it. The problem with the Zire is that there will be too little memory to do much more that keep addresses and memos on it. For that purpose, it's great, but if you plan on loading programs, it will be useless.

One other thing, Make sure that whatever Palm based unit you get, make sure it has Palm OS 3.5 or higher on it. You'll find more programs run for that OS of higher. Go to http://www.palmgear.com to see what I mean.

There are places all over the internet to find 8MB Palm based units for for $79 - $99 .

Good luck,

Max.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
The 2MB of memory in the Zire is fine - that's what my Palm V had, and I used that for 3 years (recently upgraded to a Kyocera 6035 Smartphone with 8 MB.

One thing you want is games so you can pass the time when you're waiting in line, etc. One of my faves is Galaxx, a greate Galaga-type game. And of course there's Tetris, Chess, etc.

...I've tried to read eBooks on the Palm but couldn't really get into it. Instead of reading whole novels, try putting in the kind of stuff that you could read for a few minutes at a time (again, to pass the time when you're waiting, riding the train, etc.). Beyond a few minutes I found it to be tiresome. Put Sun Tzu's "Art of War" on your Zire. It's a great read, the whole thing fits on your Palm without taking too much memory, and you can read just one chapter at a time in a few minutes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.