Who's is/isn't migrating to OS X?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by pgwalsh, Jul 30, 2002.

Your Migration to OS X

Poll closed Aug 20, 2002.
  1. I've already moved to OS X

41 vote(s)
  2. I plan to move to OS X when Jaguar comes out.

2 vote(s)
  3. I plan to move when new hardware comes out.

1 vote(s)
  4. I'll move when my favorite app is OS X compatible.

2 vote(s)
  5. I'm not going to OS X and you can't make me.

2 vote(s)
  1. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

Jun 21, 2002
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Have you, will you, or will you not move to OS X. If not why?
  2. szark macrumors 68030

May 14, 2002
    I guess I'm not really migrating, as I never used OS 9 all that much. I use it for a couple of apps that haven't made the jump yet.

I bought my first Apple (500 MHz Cube) because I liked the potential of OS X -- I ordered the Public Beta with my Cube.

I also pre-ordered Jaguar the week after MWNY.
  3. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2001
    You could say I switched to X but you could also say I haven't. The only time I go into 9 is when I'm doing some Photoshop work (OS X native filters would be great) and Final Cut (nope, not enough money for FCP3 at this moment) but most of the time I'm in X. Gotta love the GUI.:p
  4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    I use OS X at home all the time. We are moving towards OS X at work, but I don't expect that to happen until sometime next year.

I will, most likely, pick up Jaguar sometime before the end of September and install that on my home TiBook.
  5. Pismo macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2002
    I've been using OS X since DP3 and the Public Beta. I switched completely when 10.1 was released because it was finally usable on my PowerBook G3. I will take OS 9 off of my computer when 10.2 is released.
  6. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
    Oops! I'd pull that one. $50 off at eBay.
  7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    If you want to wait for them to ship it (notice the free shipping takes an extra 3-5 days over the normal shipping :rolleyes: ).

I'll be heading up into tax-free New Hampshire to purchase my copy (Salem Apple Store), unless I can get it cheaper from one of the local shops I have had some dealings with. ;) :D
  8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I'll get Jaguar at the same time I get my other apps - I'm still waiting to get Photoshop7, GoLive, FlashMX - so it will be a little longer - but the killer is Quark - when is that going to go OSX native? As it is right now, I use OSX a little less than half the time already, so its just a matter of time.

9. Joshlew macrumors member

Feb 16, 2002
    I migrated to OS X when it came out...........;) :cool:
  10. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA

I installed OS X when it got to version 10.0.4. When I got my QuickSilver, it had 10.0.4 installed on it. I still used OS 9 most of the time then. I made the compleet switch over to X a few weeks before OS 10.1 came out. After about the time MS Office came out for X, I never looked back.
  11. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I purchased OSX as soon as it was released last year, and ran it on a seperate partition to OS9........ didn't really use it all that much because most of the apps I used were OS9 only at the time.......

Although I did make the effort to use it and classic when I wasn't under deadline stress etc...

Then a few months ago i migrated natively to OSX as I got a boat of apps (mainly all the ones that I use) and I haven't looked back....... and I must say i love it, true it could do with being a little snappier.... but I love the stability and multi tasking......

I do however keep a fully functioning and software installed OS9 on my machine just incase...... mainly for piece of mind..... although I've had to use it to sort out a printer problem I was experiencing with Indesign 2.......

All in all I'm most happy..... can't wait to get a new faster machine and 'Jaguar' in the next 6 months....... rocking...... ;) :D
  12. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2001
    I still use 9 cus X is (was) horribly slow compared to 9 and I need PROtools for X. I REALLY need it. :) and ow yeah a much faster mac to run it on of course.....:)
  13. vitruvius macrumors regular

Feb 26, 2002
    Caracas, Venezuela
    i use OSX since ive bought my PowerBook 667 (first release) which came with the 10.1 pre-installed, and now i used i t about 95% of the time and now i cant work on OS9 anymore, all my Work Apps are out for X:photoShop, FreeHand<CInema 4D and VectorWors ,I only run classic when i need to use FormZ, but Autodessys is going to release a OSX native version in this late days of July!!:D ,
  14. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    Yup. Me too, word for word, except mine was 450.;)
  15. mc68k macrumors 68000

Apr 16, 2002
    I won't ever fully move to OS X. While Jaguar has definitely improved the new OS's position, OS 9 still has full app support, is fast, and runs on damn near everything made after 1995.

I still run GS/OS too, so I don't think I will fully switch to X. For most things I will use X, since that is what is being actively developed. I like the Unix aspect too.

9 is good to have since you can hack X, sans permissions. :)
  16. peterjhill macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    As soon as I get my 20 GB iPod and my .mac account (so I can use the backup program to backup to cdr) 9 is coming off my computer forever. There is just no need for it. It is such an ancient OS. I can't run an OS that doesn't have a command line interface.
  17. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    sort of...

i've had X since 10.1 and use it for "home" stuff like surfing the web and to show PC users to make them switch;) although alot of my apps are moving to X, i still to prefer to use them in OS9 for the speed and better AltiVec performance. it's cool that Reason and Live are in OSX and they keep me busy but i'm desperately awaiting Logic Audio and basically all of my soft-synths. most of the stuff i need should be ready by 2004. i'm just starting to see the reality that OS9 will be gone forever soon. it's such a great OS. i like X but i like 9 better because it was it's own thing. X is like an OS inside an OS, like Windows but much, much better.
  18. pgwalsh thread starter macrumors 68000

Jun 21, 2002
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    It's nice to see MOTU support OS X in their midi and audio products. I have the midi express XT, too bad I have nothing to use it with. ha!! c'mon Logic and Native-Instruments.
  19. SilvorX macrumors 68000

May 24, 2002
    'Toba, Canada
    the highschool i go to probably will NEVER use osx untill the macs that are being shipped no longer have os9 on them since they prefer os9 for some reason (probably cuz of netscrap4 ;))
  20. Geert macrumors 6502a

May 28, 2001
    I'm X since Public Beta sept/2000.
    have been switching between X and 9 during the PB
    Have been using X all the time since release 03/2001. (and classic)
    I think I only booted back to 9 a few times to install upgrade of the classic environment, and Startupdisk
    I don't even have to boot back to 9 for using PS, since PS 5.5 that I have runs as fast under classic as it would run native under 9.

I really loved X from the moment I saw the PB, saw great pottential, and really loved every aspect about it.
    Jaguar is sensational, can't wait to install it!!!!
  21. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

I have been using OS X ever since December of last year, before that I used OS 8.6 for 6 years;) OS X matches my snow iMac so well:)
    I plan to get Jaguar when it comes out, my mom wants to try iCal and the adress book.
  22. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    when i get a new mac in another year, then i will have to move to os x...os 9 and classic will be a thing of the past