who's looking to mod their 360?

Discussion in 'Games' started by satans_banjo, Nov 19, 2005.

1. satans_banjo macrumors regular

to all those getting xbox 360s, i was wondering if any of you were thinking of modding them as soon as you get them. i remember i modded my xbox a while ago and it certainly breathed new life into an old machine

the reason i was thinking this is because i read in Stuff that the xbox 360 was more powerful than the current top-end quad-core G5. imagine putting a proper OS such as linux (or even OS X as someone did to the xbox) on there. it would be a great computer for only about £280

anyway, i have pre-ordered mine for after christmas, and i'll probably mod it in about a year when they drop in price quite substantially. i'm not exactly a dab-hand at soldering so i don't want to risk destroying £280 worth of kit. plus by then they would have perfected the xbox 360 modchips

what about you guys?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Microsoft has made it really hard to crack open the casing. Obviously they learned their lesson from the xbox and are not too keen on repeating the same mistakes.

In time, we'll see modders overcome whatever roadblocks Microsoft has put into the 360. I'll be modding mine when it's clear and safe to do so. Did you read if anyone was able to mod the 360?

3. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

The 360 is Not faster than a G5 for general computing (Which OSX is designed for). Only for a specific task... Games.

4. satans_banjo thread starter macrumors regular

ah well... it'll still be a beast of a machine

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I suspect it will be at least a year before te xbox 360 will be cracked, I'm sure it will be very hard to figure out as microsoft have probably made it as hard as possible after what they saw happened to the original xbox,

Shadow

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

it will be moddable. most likely it will be a german guy who cracks it.

7. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Firstly, faster than a Quad G5, HA HA HA what magazine would have the balls to print that. Apple should sue their asses off.

Secondly, people have already taken it apart, it isn't like fort knox. People will mod it very soon I think. But any such mod I bet will be very hard to either play games or go on xbox live. So your moded xbox will probably be a linux device that cannot play games anymore without unmodding it. Imagine a device checksum or some such. To make sure the hard drive is the right size, and there are not any files there it doesn't know about.

If microsoft went out of their way to make it mod proof. Then it will be hard to use if you mod, cause thats the only way you stop it.

8. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

if you crack open the casing, it will no longer connect to xbox live

9. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

how does that work?

10. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

....what if you put windows on it and used it to play computer games on the 360... battlefield mmmmm. You know just over the internet so you wouldnt
    need xbox live? That would be a very cheap very good gameing computer.

11. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I dont know that much about gaming consoles but isn't the Xbox360 based on a PPC CPU so you would not be able to install windows on it. Unless it was through somthing like VPC, which would probably be really slow

12. satans_banjo thread starter macrumors regular

you can already play xbox and xbox 360 games online without live

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/index.php

13. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

That is a complete joke. Each of the XBox 360 processors suck for branching and have half the integer, load-store and floating point units of a G5. They do less work per clock cycle and don't even support out-of-order execution, which will have a detrimental effect on performance for general computing.

It would probably outperform the top end G5 for GAMING (actually, if you turned the top end G5 into a console and gave it an equivilant graphics card, it would kick the 360's butt, but thats if games were optimized and written specificly for it like they are for the 360; Mac games are written to run on all Macs, XBox 360 games are designed to take advantage of every bit of the hardware, so thus the $300 machine can outperform the $3000 one under those circumstances) because the processors are optimized for it, and of course its a console so games take better advantage of it. But for running OS X or Linux, you'd have the equivilant of a system with three slow processors.

IF they'd even run, lacking out-of-order execution (though Linux is known to run on anything). Although it'd be still much more powerful than the current XBox. But harder to get running, because XBox is a near-standard Intel Pentium 3 processor, while the 360 has a processor that has anything that doesn't help with gaming stripped out and thrown away.

However, Microsoft is putting as much security as they can in this thing. From what I understand, they want it to be difficult to open the case and near-impossible to crack the software.

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You can't install Windows on a PowerPC machine. Maybe Linux (there are some good Linux games out there) games that you recompile from source.