who's next? venezuela or syria? or ????

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 18, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

...and how much will bush's shrinking poll numbers affect the decision?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Syria would be my guess , have to chase those terrorist down wherever they are, except for Bin Laden. Its been 5 years George???

3. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Maybe Norway?

We'll be getting a much less USA friendly government in the near future ("USA is the biggest threat against world peace").

Our future PM, who replaced a priest no less, denied a request by Bush to keep officers in Iraq.

We got lots and lots of Oil!

More likely, I don't see Bush invading anywhere, any time soon. His last adventure must've burned him too much (I hope).

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

My bet is Miami. No element of surprise, elsewhere.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

My guess is a CIA-assisted coup in Caracas, followed by the usurpers calling in "friendly forces" who just happen to be nearby, to secure the oil, seize the airfields and the few radio stations not already run by the opposition. I'd better buy a new Mac before my boycott of US goods kicks in. Pity, I was hoping to be able to wait until Rev B of the Intel Macs....

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

They make all your Macs in the Republic, don't they?

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Of China?

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Éire

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh, theire :) . No, mine all came from Taiwan and the US, actually.

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'd predict Syria. And the element of surprise isn't America's forte. I mean, it's not like we had the element of suprise going into Iraq. It was months of "OK, here we come..." Syria ""makes sense" strategically and it's sort of part and parcel of Iraq politically. Still, I don't think that in the immediate future we have the money or troops to do the job, even in Syria, unless Bush actually asks Americans to sacrifice anything, which he's not likely to do. At least for this year Syria shouldn't worry.

As for Venezuela, a coup sounds like the US plan. Way too big to invade and the US is relatively loath to invade American countries, prefering to control them in other ways.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

12. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

My guess is Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has started using the same drugs as Pat Robertson.

When I was in the Navy I had the opportunity to go on 2 UNITAS cruises.
    On the first we ported in Curacao and the second we ported in Venezuela.

Between both cruises I had the opportunity to visit every country in South America except Bolivia.

13. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I think that the next targets will be strip clubs and queer/gay bars. It's already happening with some strip clubs in Seattle.

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

My "element of surprise" comment was definitely tongue-n-cheek, even though I often refer to Miami as a country. Operation Balboa is nothing new link though Chavez alluded to it this week. The "White Players" in the war games, Colombia, are assumed to remain "neutral" in such a scenario, which is another highly unlikelihood.

I would think Syria would be a good guess, but that may be prior to, during or after all Sheol breaks loose. When the Shiite hits the fanatic, Sunni or later someone's going to need a Baath in the whole region.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

i doubt we could take on another war, bush might try syria and say its not a new war its spreading the war in iraq out. He may try venezuela and say its a threat to the USA. If he trys venezuale he might pull out of iraq( to get the troops there to fight in venezuale) but he would say we are leaving iraq becuz they have a goverment and when it falls he would blame it on the people of iraq not the USA. Thats Mr. bush for you! :D

16. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Iran. They have been mounting a case against Iran for quite some time now.

17. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The US would get its butt kicked if it tried to invade Iran (in terms of acceptable casualties and US economic strength). Iran has a functioning military that could provide more legitimate resistance than Iraq did either time around. And then subduing that many more people with our thinly stretched military in _another_ country bordering Pakistan (and its 150 million people) would be impossible for the US military without putting the US on a true war economy. No way no how, and that's exactly why Iran can and is pursuing nuclear weapons now while the US can't do a damnedthing about it.

18. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I wouldn't put it past them. The President is trying to get legislation passed that will allow him to pre-emptively use nuclear weapons against possible acts of terrorism. They should have known that Iraq was not going to work either.

19. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Depends on if you mean a full fledged invasion by "who's next." A strike against Iranian facilities alleged to be involved in nuclear weapons production is highly likely, by the US or Israel, in the near future. That doesn't mean US troops in Teheran, which I agree would be suicidal, even for Bush's neoconservative planners blinded by their rose colored vision of the world.

20. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

what's this legislation? i'm not aware of anything at the moment which would prevent bush from doing this today.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I doubt we're going to be waging war on anybody anytime soon. Maybe if the conservatives win again in 2006, but I don't see that happening either. Anyone who supports another war is going to lose their next election unless it was really neccessary. Like if Bin Laden attacked us again.

Of course, then we'd just invade Iran or Syria or something. :rolleyes:

22. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Link

NYT
    Times Online.

23. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, but i believe bush already has that power. if i'm reading it right, the pentagon plan is designed to grant lower-level commanders (lower-level than the commander in chief, that is) the power to nuke.

please correct me if i'm reading something wrong.

24. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

This is an expansion of the ability to use Nuclear weapons. The Administration claims that Iran has WMDs, or is developing them. We nuke them, oops, guess we were wrong.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah yes, the grand version of 'it's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six'. Also known as 'kill 'em all, let God sort them out'. :rolleyes: