Who's Ready for iWork and iLife '06?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chameeeleon, Jan 31, 2005.

1. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Yes, that's right - I said '06. It wasn't a typo, I didn't mean '05.
    Upon receiving the two suites, I really like all of the updates, and am thrilled with the improvements Apple has made. However I figure it's never too soon to start giving the teams suggestions, and as a lot of iWork complaints have been floating around the threads, I figured here's a good place to collect them.

iWork:
    Pages - Send Feedback
    - There is no way to reorder pages or delete them, ala the Slide Browser in Keynote
    - Palette clutter is horrible, I have my whole screen completely occupied, and it's hard to distinguish the palettes
    - The font palette is not passable when in a word processing app - it's fine for stuff like Stickies, but not here, especially given how much room it takes up
    - Keyboard shortcuts in Pages don't match anything I've ever used. How about "cmd-e" for centre please?
    - Searching iPhoto library only searches titles, not keywords and comments like the actual app
    - It gets confusing given that some objects in Pages can be dragged around freely, and others can't, while still others can't even be touched. I'd like either an easy way to tell which is which and change it, or just let them all be dragged around everywhere (mayhem, I know)
    - More templates for next version! In fact, a free template of the month for .Mac users would be incredible
    - A much better web-export option, and a couple of templates designed specifically for website building
    - The chart editor is terrific for someone whose afraid of Excel, a diagram editor along the same lines would be just as great
    - SPEED

Keynote - Send Feedback
    (I haven't really used Keynote long enough to find much I don't like apart from what I've mentioned for Keynote, so I'll leave this up to others except)
    - An easy way to change an object that has been brought onto the slide. For example, if I want to slowly make a picture go transparent, or move it over to another area after a certain amount of time. Basically keyframes.

iLife:
    iPhoto - Send Feedback
    - New Keyword bar is great (especially being able to reorder them), but I'm still waiting for Keyword groups, for example "People", which would have a collapse arrow and would group all Keywords of people, ex. Mom, Elizabeth, etc. Searching for a Keyword Group "People" would show all photos that had any keyword from that group.
    - Searching seems a little wierd. If I type "Christmas Dad", I expect to see photos that match BOTH criteria ONLY, but I seem to get photos that match either. Same with when I select multiple Keywords from the Keyword bar...
    - More themes for books, with more colour in the backgrounds (and lots of different backgrounds for each book)- black and white looks blah (again, one for .Mac users every month), the option to add text anywhere to any page in any font, and "Book Objects", sort of clipart that matches the theme and can be dragged from a floating dashboard to anywhere on the page to decorate it
    - The option to add titles in Slideshows, anywhere on the screen, and maybe even have them animate
    - Let iPhoto remember which albums have been published via Homepage (with a checkmark on the icon maybe), and update them from iPhoto
    - An instant fullscreen button
    - An import some option! I don't want to import them all and HATE using Image Capture for this! iPhoto is for my photos! Don't make me use another app to serve the function you should
    - An easier (and cheaper) way to make a "Life Poster" so that users who don't constantly read Mike's blog can enjoy this amazing technique too, and so that I can make them for birthday presents without being out almost $40 Canadian every time
    Other than these, I LOVE the improvements

iMovie HD - Send Feedback
    I don't use iMovie anymore, but it doesn't look like much has changed.
    - RETHINK titles and effects - the interface for them feels clunky, outdated and underpowered
    - Allow an iPhoto slideshow to be directly imported into iMovie (I'm not sure, maybe it can be now?)
    - When I use a clip, leave it in the Clips pane. Chances are I'll want to use it again, or at least see it at some point. Also then allow me to cmd-click on it and see where it's located in my timeline if I've used it.

iDVD - Send Feedback
    - Again, more themes :) Motion ones are pretty cool though
    - Burning of .avis from iDVD is AWESOME, I was thrilled. Speed increase is another great benefit!
    - Estimate of how much longer is left for the DVD burn (although the new status window is a huge improvement)
    - An way to add in a Director's Commentary feature (and I guess subtitles even though I wouldn't use it) to iMovie projects would be something new to brag about.

GarageBand - Send Feedback
    I really only use Garageband for fun, but I have very few complaints with it, so I'll leave this to the musically inclined.
    - An integration of an iTunes pane to import iTunes songs to remix/edit. Unless this would be illegal, which it probably is, so scrap that.
    - The ability to play an iMovie project in Garageband to improve timing when using Garageband to score movies

Also open for discussion:
    - New iApps in either suite?

Above all else, Apple you did an AMAZING job with both of these suites, and if I'm looking forward to next year so soon, it's not because these apps come up short (Pages shortcomings forgiven, it is a 1.0 app), it's because I love these apps so much you leave me constantly discovering new ways I could be using them.

2. Bear macrumors G3

Keynote is slide oriented - makes it easier to delete slides. Pages is document oriented. You just need to select and then delete the section yo want out. Or cut and paste as appropriate.
    I suspect we'll see templates from all over. What I would like to see is a set of templates for Avery Labels.
    Always a nice thig to get. :cool:
    Sheets (or Cells, but I prefer Sheets) - a spreadsheet program. Already rumored to be happeneing.

Remember, the more people who suggest a feature, the more Apple will look at adding it. And remember politely worded feedback works better, even if it's negative feedback (like somethings broken).

3. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

iSheet anyone? :D

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Isn't is waaay to early to think about '06 I mean we just started 2005 and 2004 seem to have gone in a breeze.

On that note lets just talk about iLife '07 then and '08. ;) :)

5. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Sounds too much like "I, Sh*†" :p ;) :)

6. Bear macrumors G3

Won't be iSheet since it's not iKeynote and iPages. :cool:

7. Bear macrumors G3

Well, Apple's probably already started working on the new features for the next versions of the applications, so sending in your suggestions as you come up with them is a real good idea. I don't know whne the new feature cutoff will be for the '06 releases, but it might be sooner than you realize.

8. starcrossed macrumors regular

Chameeeleon, could you please help explain how you got this to work. I was able to make a nice DVD from tv shows that I archived in .AVI format, but when I finished the DVD, the menus looks superpurb, but it seems like it stretched the widescreen video to fit the normal television screen, rather than just perserving the widescreen. Do you have the same problem or is there a step that I am missing?

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Feature cut off are usually 1-2 months, since developing takes another 6 months and testing about 2 months while the packaging and duplication takes 2 weeks to a month. This depends on if its an OS, major app, minor app, also on how big of an upgrade and new features. :)

10. chameeeleon thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh darn, I hadn't actually burnt a DVD with .avis in it yet, just saw that they were now included in the Movies pan to be dragged on, and that they worked fine (and in widescreen) in the preview. Once I burn one I'll get back to you and let you know if I have the same problem. If I do - iDVD 6 please!
    And in another suggestion, regarding iPhoto searching again, the inclusion of the magnifying glass icon would help make it clearer it's a search field, and the ability to select to search by only title, keyword or comment.

11. chameeeleon thread starter macrumors 6502

Another one:
    Keynote
    - an easy way to change the start and stop time of a song or movie on a slide
    - be able to drag and drop an iPhoto Slideshow into Keynote and have the option to either play it as a movie on that slide, or import each picture as a slide and keep layouts and transitions in tact, allowing an easy way to beef it up with titles, etc.

12. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Great idea for a thread.

I haven't worked with Pages yet, just played with it. Given the issues I have read about with Pages, I think I am going to sit this version out. With that said, I am excited about Pages as I think it has enormous potential and shows great re-thinking of the classic word processor.

As for Keynote, I am a heavy user, so for iWork 06 I would like to see:

1. The ability to have multiple bullet lists on a single slide without kludgy work arounds.
    2. Ability to control beginning and end locations for moving objects on a slide
    3. More templates and transitions (of course)
    4. In presenter view, have the option of adding a slide timer.
    5. Get rid of the fade to black when you bring up the slide locator in presentation mode.
    6. Add the ability to do text effects such as flashing bold, changing colors, etc.

That's all I can think of for now. Keynote 2 is a great product. I am very happy about the update.

13. chameeeleon thread starter macrumors 6502

I just noticed that in iPhoto '05, highlighting a selection and then using the zoom control doesn't zoom into that selection, as iPhoto 4 did - i just generically zooms into the center of the picture, and you have to reposition with the scroll bars to find a particular spot. I hope an iPhoto 5 patch fixes this - it seems odd for features to be DROPPED from a new release. Probably just time limit stress.
    However, is it just me, or is zooming in general in iPhoto 5 much smoother? Pictures don't get nearly as pixelated for me - something I appreciate a lot! :)

14. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

The one thing I want is for iTunes to automatically look up album art and ID3 information....Musicmatch on the PC has something like this called "smart tagging"...Apple can do it better I'm sure.

15. chameeeleon thread starter macrumors 6502

I seem to be the one keeping this thread afloat (understandably, lol - it is my thread) but I have a lot of suggestions that come to me that I wonder if others share.
    I just noticed how poorly iPhoto slideshows integrate with the rest of iLife, and Mac OSX in general. For '06:
    Allow slideshows to appear in the "Photos" pane of iMovie, Keynote, iDVD and System prefs. Allow the slideshow to be dragged into an existing project, and play as it was edited - zooms, transitions and effects in all, as one long clip in iMovie. More importantly (since currently it can be exported to a movie to play with the prior 3), allow a slideshow to be set as the screen saver!

16. hackand macrumors newbie

Keynote
    -Fix a bug when importing 1024x768 slides to Quicktime, still frames show black instead of the actual slide.

iLife
    -iTunes 4.7.2 :p

17. hackand macrumors newbie

Anyone else noted the different keynote icon on the Feedback page?

Here it is:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. chameeeleon thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I did before. I think the new one stands out much better, and is overall probably one of my favourite Apple app icons (although they usually do a nice job with all of them).

19. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

20. LimitedEdition macrumors member

I would quite like a software update for iPhoto 5 that magically turns it back into the faster and simpler iPhoto 4.

21. hackand macrumors newbie

Yeah, it was ugly, but the new one has almost nothing to do with the old one, it barely keeps the concept, if you didn't know them, you would never guess the icons are from version 1 and 2 of the same application. Anyways, Apple icons are always great. They have a really gifted team of designers.
    lol!